Strange red/green artifacts on rear screen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/17/2020 at 1:40 PM, Langson said:

Think it can be my MacBook retina screen, profile or some settings, because I can’t see the artifacts on my phone or on another computer. I noticed this when I read my post using my iPhone. 

I am noticing this in camera... lots of red/green coloration in the shadows.. what is this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I hate to say that, but it looks as the lcd panel or it's driver hardware is faulty.... 😞

You may do a factory reset to exclude that it is some kind of wired setting before you go to the Leica Store.
Also, there is a small chance that uploading again the latest firmware may correct that.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am also having this problem and this is the only source I can find online about it. It seems to affect in body image preview only.

@mikeswens did you get the problem resolved?

Has anyone else noticed this issue? For me I am only getting the green artifacting in the heavy shadows (only noticed it when i underexposed 1 stop by accident).

Not a deal breaker for such a great camera but if its a hardware fault I will be concerned.

Thanks 

5 hours ago, smhk said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am also having this problem and this is the only source I can find online about it. It seems to affect in body image preview only.

@mikeswens did you get the problem resolved?

Has anyone else noticed this issue? For me I am only getting the green artifacting in the heavy shadows (only noticed it when i underexposed 1 stop by accident).

Not a deal breaker for such a great camera but if its a hardware fault I will be concerned.

Thanks 

From the images above, it’s definitely not a LCD problem. The colour blotches stick with the image and not with the LCD when zooming.

It looks like some kind of preview rendering issue, assuming the final image is fine, so it’s not a sensor problem either. My guess is that it’s more likely some weird software bug so it’s worth doing a factory reset to see if it goes away. If the camera firmware is old, try updating the firmware.

Edited by beewee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my Q has had this problem from new (2017).  I’ve learned to live with it as I think many users will experience it if they shoot DNG only and, course, the files are clean when loaded onto a computer. With my Q, such artefacts appear on the LCD in shaded areas or clear blue skies. This is the response I received from Leica UK. Hope it helps: 

If you shoot DNG only, you will see artefacts on screen, especially if you zoom in. The image will not be critically sharp and will often show strange colours/banding.

However, when you look at the DNG in Lightroom (or any good RAW converter) there should be no sign of these artefacts. The image should look crisp and clean.

What you’re seeing on-screen is the limits of the ‘lossy’ compressed JPEG used for display purposes. If you shoot JPEG and DNG together, the preview image on screen will look much better.

As David said, originally the Q was designed to shoot DNG and JPEG together. However, Q users wanted a DNG only option, so Leica enable this in a firmware update. 

It seems the Q can’t record a high quality JPEG for display purposes – hence the artefacts visible. Incidentally, this ‘fault’ is not unique to the Q – I’ve observed something similar on many other cameras…

Kind Regards

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A DNG file on my Q set to DNG only contains both a "Jpg From Raw" and "Preview Image".  The Preview Image is a very low quality 1620x1080 1.7 megapixel image.  Since I have my jpeg preferences set to monochrome the preview is a monochrome image compressed down to about 110 kilobytes.   The "Jpg From Raw" image is better. It is the full 6000x4000  image compressed down to about 1.2 megabytes.  I don't know which one the camera uses for display on the back panel.  I'd hope the larger image.

I never zoom into images using the back panel on my Q (or any other camera I own).  I guess I've never expected to see a great image doing that.