Questions re: buying an M8.2

Chuck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, epand56 said:

But, aren't the M9 and the M8 almost the same camera?

Similar, but not the same.  The M8 has the Kodak KAF-10500 sensor and the M9 has the KAF-18500 sensor, which are both from the same family but the KAF-18500 has a thicker infra-red filter so more of the infra-red rays (> 720 nm) will be stopped but so will some of the visible red wavelengths in the 680 - 720 nm wavelengths owing to the filter's 'roll-off'.  Both of these things will affect the colour that the KAF-18500 sensor produces compared to the M8's KAF-10500 sensor.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, epand56 said:

But, aren't the M9 and the M8 almost the same camera? They have the same sensor and almost the same features. I don't think the M8 colors are so much different from those of the M9. Besides, the M9 is full frame. So, I do not understand why an M9 owner should want to buy an M8 if not for the reason that, being the first digital M, it's kind of a memorabilia. I kept mine for that reason and because M8 pictures are quite different from those of my other camera, an M240. But if I had an M9 I wouldn't sure want to buy an M8.

There's a You Tube video (link below) in which a brother and sister compares images from the M8 and M9 (they went out and took essentially the same photos). You might find it interesting.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Look what I got today.
Love that Lenny Kravitz design 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
Am 13.1.2021 um 11:19 schrieb Chuck:

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a used M8.2, but have some (slight) general concerns about M8s/M8.2s, not a specific concern about a used camera I am considering purchasing.  I am hoping experienced users might share some thoughts and perhaps address a concern or two that I have.

My concerns have to do with 1) banding (has this issue been fixed in the M8.2 or through firmware updates?), and  2) the need for certain type of SD cards?  Any thoughts from experienced users on these or other issues would be much appreciated (I’m aware of the need for low ISO settings and IR cut filters in certain situations and somewhat loud shutter noise — these things I happily accept).  I really like the images that can be produced by the M8 and M8.2 based on the photos that have seen posted. I have an M9M which I like, so do have experience with M cameras — nothing like shooting with a Leica M for capturing life situations with the most interesting results!  Thank you in advance for any shared thoughts/experiences.

I haven't read all the replies. All I can say is: Get the M8.2. It is a never ending roll of Kodachrome.  The M8.2 has no issues (sensor) like the M9. You can always get an accu or what ever. It's light, durable and there are only probl. with black if you don't get an IR/UV filter. B&H have it! I love my M8.2 Safari and would never ever sell it. Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by earthphoto

• 7 months later...
50 minutes ago, 69xchange said:

Just wondering, if I were to shoot only raw only on an M8.2, do I still need an IR/UV cut filter?

If you don't tonality will shift just as colours shift. The good news is that UV/IR filters are usually cheaper than UVa these days.

• Like 1

I guess that this is something you need to test. Can you check this in a store ? Would recommend this. Because all that I read about it is, that some people like it others don’t care and then others can fix it in photoshop …. And as nobody knows the color of what you are taking a picture of , so no body can tell. And I don’t think that you are going to shoot some professional projects with this camera where the client is going to check the color ….. 

but if you like the rendering of the sensor., then there will be no other than this. 

so your images will be unique …. 
😀🙃

• Thanks 1

@MMorgadonice images on your ig.

The m8 was my first m. I bought it for b/w but soon a mm followed and the m8 is used for ir.

that said, I saw some nice color work on ig, so today I went for a walk and shot in color. If the prints come out fine, I might buy an additional m8, just so I can use it as my EDC instead of the griiix. 

The m8 - despite being much older - simply beats the gr. That said, I don’t do low light photography.

A quick image on no filter (left) vs filter (right). There is also problems with black and red under artificial light.

• Thanks 5

57 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

A quick image on no filter (left) vs filter (right). There is also problems with black and red under artificial light.

Thanks, the images I took this weekend in the forrest have more a palette of autumn then spring. Nice, but not what I want. 
I am now thinking of the m9(m).

I am not a filter person, with exceptions, butnot for general photography. The B+W IR cut filter has been no problemon the M8, just remembering to put it on a lens is the only issue. Here is a photo from this winter. M8 with a 35 Zeiss f2.8 and a B+W IR Cut filter.

• Like 2