Questions re: buying an M8.2

Chuck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a used M8.2, but have some (slight) general concerns about M8s/M8.2s, not a specific concern about a used camera I am considering purchasing.  I am hoping experienced users might share some thoughts and perhaps address a concern or two that I have.

My concerns have to do with 1) banding (has this issue been fixed in the M8.2 or through firmware updates?), and  2) the need for certain type of SD cards?  Any thoughts from experienced users on these or other issues would be much appreciated (I’m aware of the need for low ISO settings and IR cut filters in certain situations and somewhat loud shutter noise — these things I happily accept).  I really like the images that can be produced by the M8 and M8.2 based on the photos that have seen posted. I have an M9M which I like, so do have experience with M cameras — nothing like shooting with a Leica M for capturing life situations with the most interesting results!  Thank you in advance for any shared thoughts/experiences.

Edited by Chuck

I began digital M with M8 in 2007, still have one using for IR when I need.

So if you have Monochrom (which I have from 2015), I think you would "appreciate less" M8.

Or I don't see what you want to "use" in M8 features that the MM1 lacks.

7 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I began digital M with M8 in 2007, still have one using for IR when I need.

So if you have Monochrom (which I have from 2015), I think you would "appreciate less" M8.

Or I don't see what you want to "use" in M8 features that the MM1 lacks.

I would say it's the gorgeous color images the M8 can produce.  I am basically a black and white shooter, but the color output in files from the M8/8.2 are tempting in their own right (someone in the M8/8.2 forum titled a posting along the lines of "like shooting an unending roll of Kodachrome"). 

• Like 1

Kodachrome like, I must agree as decades old Kodachrome "only" photographer (with my lovely wife).

But in my view, the M9 can give same output "kodachrome-like" if you want to ( post process ?) ...

If I had M8/M9 that time (1980's ), I think I could not have those hues as in real Kodachrome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

or something different ?

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Chuck said:

nothing like shooting with a Leica M for capturing life situations with the most interesting results

I do not agree. There are several other modes of shooting, with other cameras, which can give the most interesting results.

• Like 1

I have an M8 and also have never seen banding, though I have only had mine for a year and a half. I also don't like the results above ISO 640, so I limit myself there. I too use slower 4GB or 8GB cards which are getting hard to find new. No point gatting a bigger card because the shot number read out is only 3 digits, an 8GB give 760 or so photos. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BrianS said:

In 11 years of owning my M8, I've never had a problem with Banding. I also have the M9 and M Monochrom.

I tend to use slower 4x SD cards, some fast cards can cause uneven power draws on the CCD based cameras which will show up in the digitized image. 

Thank you, BrianS, this is helpful.  I should be more knowledgable than I am about SD cards.  I looked online and came across an 8GB SDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card. If you or anyone knows, would that be a 4x card?  It sounds like it would be.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-SDHC-Flash-Memory/dp/B00FM5E1EY

This is what I've been using for over 10 years now. I've never had a Sandisk 4x card or PNY 4x card go bad.

These tend to be very inexpensive these days. I bought a number of them. Amazon tells me that my last purchase was in 2015- they just keep working.

Edited by BrianS
  • Thanks 1

My card is a SanDisk Extreme 90mBs 16GB.  I believe that Leica recommends a card of this size and speed.  And really, 16GB is a lot of photos.  I have had the M8.2 only a few months but have seen no banding yet.  But an old camera with known frailties is a crap shoot.  The odds are pretty good that you will be fine.

I use the M8.2 a lot. I have no issues with banding as long as I keep ISO at 640 or below. I use 4 or 8 gb cards, which are very cheap. I've found no benefit in using larger or faster cards. I think that you can't use cards above 32gb though.

I use the M8 as if it were a film camera. As long as you respect it's limits it's a wonderful camera.

Much of the banding/contouring of the M8 used at high-ISO is from the lossy compression algorithm used.

https://cameraderie.org/threads/i-dont-like-lossy-image-compression.38716/

https://cameraderie.org/threads/leica-m8-set-to-iso-ludicrous-speed.38677/

The KAF-10500 used in the M8 has a higher saturation count than the KAF-18500 used in the M9, probably due to the need to thin the full-frame sensor. This, plus the 1/8000th top shutter speed: I'll keep mine and use it as long as it keeps going.

I've been using uncompressed Raw for a long time, "Button Dance" and M8RAW2DNG. It is not convenient as using compressed DNG, but the results are better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something to keep in mind is that if their is a problem Leica doesn’t have all spare parts anymore. Just discovered I have a LCD issue on mine (bought with 5000 actuations, mint like) and since Leica don’t have that Lcd anymore customer service advise to turn off lcd activation after taking a shot and to use as few as possible the back screen.

1 hour ago, Olivier76 said:

Something to keep in mind is that if their is a problem Leica doesn’t have all spare parts anymore. Just discovered I have a LCD issue on mine (bought with 5000 actuations, mint like) and since Leica don’t have that Lcd anymore customer service advise to turn off lcd activation after taking a shot and to use as few as possible the back screen.

Olivier76,

Do you have M8 or M8.2?  I heard somewhere that the 8.2 has more LCD screen issues, but don't know if it's true or not.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:00 PM, Chuck said:

Olivier76,

Do you have M8 or M8.2?  I heard somewhere that the 8.2 has more LCD screen issues, but don't know if it's true or not.

M8.2.

With the M8 you might have shutter fault issue. Which should be fixable by Leica but probably at almost the cost of a second handed M8

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, Olivier76 said:

That's colloquially known as 'coffee stain' and is a result of fine particles getting through the LCD sealing layers.  It doesn't seem to get any worse and occasionally clears itself.

This is not to be confused with a failed LCD, which doesn't turn on at all or is filled with blocks of lurid colours.  This is terminal and is not repairable by Leica.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

I'm a proud owner of a 8.2 Safari, one of 500 sets made and use it a lot. I love the colours and the feel of it. It's a bit thicker than the M3 or the M10, but it feels good in a larger hand. I use a 36GB card and it works very well with the M8.2. Good digi Leica and the pictures have the feel of kind of film. My cam hasn't any issues with LCD or whatever.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by earthphoto
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, Chuck said:

I would say it's the gorgeous color images the M8 can produce.

But, aren't the M9 and the M8 almost the same camera? They have the same sensor and almost the same features. I don't think the M8 colors are so much different from those of the M9. Besides, the M9 is full frame. So, I do not understand why an M9 owner should want to buy an M8 if not for the reason that, being the first digital M, it's kind of a memorabilia. I kept mine for that reason and because M8 pictures are quite different from those of my other camera, an M240. But if I had an M9 I wouldn't sure want to buy an M8.

Hello epand56,

Same sensor in M8/M9, I don't think so.

If we don't take the size difference, we can say that :

- M8 sensor must be used with UV/IR filter, to balance the colors, as you know

so better for IR use ( as I use my M8 now ) than my M9

- I've never seen ( or hear of) sensor corrosion on M8, unlike M9's and co sensors

• Thanks 1