Summicron 50, 75, or 90 or the summilux 50 ... phew!

Daniel C.1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

the title might sound a bit odd, and yes, only I can decide what I need. But sometimes it helps to get some feedback to make a decision. I take photos of a lot of things, from street to family, to landscape to pets, to city-scape ... so the average multipurpose experienced having fun amateur-photographer 😉

Where do I come from: 

The last years I have used the M240 and M10P with the 21 SE, 28 Summaron, 35 Summilux, 50 Summilux and the 90 Elmarit. My by far most used lens was the 35 Summilux. 

After I've bought the SL2-S I have no sold my 35 and 50 Summilux and already bought the 35 Summicron-Sl - wich I love and is a great (pitifully in all means) lens. 

What's the plan:

My plan is that I for 100% will keep my 28 Summaron. I love it's rendering and it a just so easy and very, very small lens. This one will stay forever. 

I also plan to keep the 21 as smallish and optically great super-wide angle when I need it - it was my least used lens so far, still when I use it, I love it. 

The 90 was always my very least used lens. But I love the classical rendering while still being sooo sharp - when the focus sits where you want to have it. And it is still smallish.

Looking at my pictures, the second most used lens was the 50 Summilux, so initially was very clear to just get a 50 SL, either summicron or summilux - but tending to the summilux as I love the 1.4 look on a 50. This being said, when I am honest, I regulary cropped my 50 pics slightly and often struggled to decide between the 35 and the 50 as they are not very far from each other. 

So the logical choice would be the 75mm summicron-sl and when I need the 90 to use the Elmarit-m. It also seems logic as a companion with the 35mm, and from the looks it should have a comparable DoF at f2 of an 1.4 50. However, in my 30 years of photography I never had a 75mm lens, as it always seemed to me being neither fish nor flesh. And therefore I struggle a bit to bite the bullet. 

Compared to the 75, the 90 would be more of a portrait and compressed landscape lens, but than the gap between the 35 and 90 is quite big I for sure would miss a 50 - which after heavily unburden my wallet, would burden my bag, as I would always take the 35, 50 and 90 with me. With a 75, I can imaging that more often than not, the 35 and 75 would be a good to set up - maybe with the 21 or 28-m and next year maybe complemented by a 24-SL... 

So, what are your thoughts about this topic?

Thanks

Daniel

• Like 1

35/75 is a classic pairing (remember this great Leica M9 brochure reportage in Cuba boxing school ?... so beautiful, all with 35 f1.4 and 75 f2).

Having the SL2 and 24-90... I would get the 50 1.4SL (yes, big, heavy, slower AF...) next, because the jump in aperture from the zoom (f3.5@50mm) is more significant and the weight difference (750ish vs 1000ish grammes) is not all bad. For the Summicron SL only the 21/28 and 90 are on my radar for the future.

The thing is: I remember all the demo images I have seen with the 50 1.4 SL.... can't say the same for the f2 cron. Clearly Leica put more emphasis on this back then it was the first and only prime for the SL. That also makes it easier to find on second hand...

Check Joey L. commercial work with both phase one and SL + 50 1.4

I like the 75mm SL over the 90mm. I had similar questions. I decided for the 75  for 2 reason. First the 75 is more intimate shooting for portraits, you are closer to the subject and that reflects in the connection to your subject. the other reason is that the 75mm SL has a much closer focus that the 90, it is not macro but nice. I have traded in the 90 Apo M for the 75SL, the 90 was nice rendering but it is always finicky focusing at f2.

Replacing all you M lenses to SL will be so much heavier. and some M lenses work real nice on the SL cameras. The 50 Noctilux is much nicer on the SL2 then my M10P.

For work I tend to use the 24-90mm mostly, the 50SL and 75SL only when light go down or need the look, but then I get so much work for the Noctilux look that this is my 2nd most use lens.

I think the Summicron sl lenses are to big to carry all day. If I take only one lens it would be a 50mm 1.4, I have tested the SL version few times, the size and front weight and AF reaction makes me pause every time. I think I will go with the Panasonic S 50mm for now and wait for more 1.4 lenses

But what a rendering, this SL50 1.4.... wow hey?

I wouldn't wait for more 1.4 lenses with Leica not being able to churn out the f2 Crons... (and Sigma makes those).

TBH I think the 50 1.4 was a kind of experimental flagship along the 24-90, they went all out on these w/o user feedback (it was a brand new line afterall, a pure experiment...) nor consideration for small size/weight (Leica M anyone?)... and the newer lenses will be made with a pinch of feedback from the most vocal users complaining about size/weight/AF/Aperture ranges. Sure, it would be heaven if the 50 1.4 was the size of the f2... but that would require Leica to kill 2 "young" lenses in their catalog.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Slender:

35/75 is a classic pairing

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Daniel C.1975:

So the logical choice would be the 75mm summicron-sl

I own the 35, 50, 75 and 90 Summicron and the by far most used ones are 35 + 75. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your valuable feedbacks. The work from Joel L. is great and fires my hunger for the 50 again :), but I think this might come later and I start with the 75 as slightly tighter 50. At least that's what I say now :D  Still some hard thinking in front of me. 

Cheers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Building a lens kit hasn't changed. Start with your favourite and build from there.

Doubling/Halving your focal length doubles/halves the size of your subject within the frame. This is why it's pretty natural for people to build from a 35/75 or a 28/50/90 base system if shooting with primes. You see a nice big change when switching lenses that's predictable. However many do prefer a tighter grouping, especially those who don't shoot over a wider focal range. I know photographers who shoot 95% with a 35/50/75 set. It looks like you are currently shooting 35/50/90. Nothing wrong with that. Generally though if you stick to a fixed ratio it's easier to visualise changes. If you have a 2x grouping then it's 24/50/100 or the closest to that. 1.4x is common (same as a stop of aperture) 35,50,75.

In the *good old days* I was taught to "skip every second lens" when building a kit. Commonly manufacturers made a range something like 18, 21, 24, 28, 50, 75, 90, 135, 200. You'd skip every second lens to have enough difference between the glass in your bag. My base was a 50. I often carried a 24/50/200. When I wanted reach I really wanted reach. Today my kit is a 28 (Q2)/50/90. So that obviously worked for me. It's good for most but not everybody.

Or you could cheat like most of us do and buy a zoom (three excellent options available in the standard range). Plus the 35 and 50 primes.

If it were me I'd buy the lens I shoot most (35 for you 50 for me) and the Panasonic 24-105. In three months look at your catalogue and see what focal lengths you shoot the most and go from there. You may find that 75mm IS actually better than 50 for you.

Gordon

• Like 3

Hmm definitely an interesting situation. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely go for the summiluz-sl as it sounds like it's your favorite focal length. As for 90 vs 75 I like your idea of just keeping the 90 you have for the meantime. I'll let you make that decision but my reason for recommending the summilux is that I believe one should always purchase gear that inspires them. If you purchase the 50 I think there's a higher chance you'll take it out shooting

Good luck!

I've always preferred the rendering of Summilux's over Summicron's and shooting wide open at F1.4 suits my style.  I don't even considered F2 primes as they don't inspire me.  I currently shoot with the 50 Summilux and 85/1.4 DG DN.  YMMV

Hi all, 

so the resolution of my decision process: Just ordered a like-new display-item Summicron-sl 75 from a Leica-Boutique and it will hopefully arrive next Wednesday. 

Thanks to all of you for your input. 

I'll keep you updated :)

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 1