Flash shoe

D A V I D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm... just got my M9 and my flash trigger does not fit. I see there is a small screw in the M9 flash shoe. Can this be removed? Why the screw?

Thank you!! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I remember correct, screw is for viewfinders alignment. 

You know how electric power works? If you make contacts wrong and apply some voltage...

We don't know which trigger you are talking about and how contacts are placed on it. If it is primitive with central contact only, why now.

In annexe what it looks like. It works though, contact with middle pin is made, flash fires. I just wonder why Leica did 1) make such a smallish flash foot and 2) why they place a screw/pin just about where the flash needs to slide into making it even more difficult to achieve a correct flash or trigger placement. 🙂 

PS: This is the case for the trigger, but also for any GODOX on camera flash I have. Do I miss something? 

Thank you. 

Ok, I see. Strange. I know now that the pin on the hot shoe is necessary. The distance for the connector is given by the upper border flash foot that stops at this pin. If the pin is removed, the flash does not work as the middle connector pin moves in too far. So the pin/screw needs to stay to position the middle pin of the flash foot correctly. 

What I think I saw is flash feet that are square. My GODOX flash feet are rectangular. So they overlap. I will see whether I can find a another trigger with a square foot and whether the mechanical position is better. It's a detail of course, but still :) 

Edited by D A V I D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello David,

unveiling the mistery of the screw: it holds the spring leaf of the hot shoe. Nothing more:

as the hot shoe cannot be used until the very front (due to the bezel on the left: anything sliding into the hot shoe would not pass beyond the “screw Limitation stop” unless it’s left front edge is also bezeled) even unscrewing the screw will probably not help.

I suppose the M hot shoe is an old legacy from times were it was still a cold shoe. 

Best regards,

Frank

I had never noticed the screw has always been there 😉

hot shoes and cold shoes same screw at same place !

• Like 1