Best Tabletop tripod for M

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have happily used the Leica table tripod and the large Leica ball head. It is terrific, very solid folds up small and convenient, but like all Leica stuff, not cheap.

A tabletop tripod is very versatile. Note that it’s not just for placing the camera on a table top. Rather any solid object can be used to stabilise the camera for those moments when you need longer exposure times. For instance, holding the camera against a wall, a tree trunk, a post etc. I like the Leica version with the Leica long ball head as it allows you to hold the camera with the ball head, while focusing and shooting.   

Leica tabletop tripod with the long ball head. Easiest to setup and use. When packed for travel, separate the ball head from tripod and splay tripod legs so that it does not show up in x-ray like a gun with silencer.

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used a Minox vintage tripod for more than 10 years because it is virtually bullet proof, two legs unscrew and screw inside the third leg for extremely compact storage, it has a shutter release that also stores away in the legs, it is very light and, to be frank, it's just a joy to hold and use because of its brilliant design.

Pete.

3 hours ago, stump4545 said:

Anyone try the Really Right Stuff Pocket Tripods?

How are the leica tabletops?

thanks.

Solid. But you'll know you've got it with you. As a bonus can be used to fight off muggers.

My Leica tabletop tripod/ball head is at least 25 years old, but hasn’t been used since my film M days pre-2009. It always did the job, is robustly built and stores easily. 

Manfrotto, Sirui and others offer good alternatives at moderate prices. As always, personal preferences apply, so in-store handling can help.

Jeff

After having and using the Leica table tripod and tall head for decades, I agree that it is solidly built but on the heavy side.  Sometimes easier to carry disassembled.

Recently, I switched to the Gitzo Mini-Traveler  https://www.gitzo.com/global/mini-traveler-tripod-kit-black-gktbb/

Much lighter yet very sturdy and still usable as a chest/shoulder pod.  Folds up easily and simple to use.  Less expensive than purchasing the Leica set new.     

I like this one (no more avalaible brand new), minimalistic and light (74g) https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Manfrotto-Mini-Trepied-Poche-L-Noir-MP3-BK-Appareil-Photo/274640624976?hash=item3ff1db5d50:g:IrEAAOSwpZlbnImh

It happened it had to bear my M10 with Noctilux 0,95 (1508g W/ battery ;) )

Only one issue for me, due to the conception, may be its height of 4cm, but it can be seen as an advantage for exemple, using it leaning against a wall  in portrait mode.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Gelatino:

I like this one (no more avalaible brand new), minimalistic and light (74g) https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Manfrotto-Mini-Trepied-Poche-L-Noir-MP3-BK-Appareil-Photo/274640624976?hash=item3ff1db5d50:g:IrEAAOSwpZlbnImh

It happened it had to bear my M10 with Noctilux 0,95 (1508g W/ battery ;) )

Only one issue for me, due to the conception, may be its height of 4cm, but it can be seen as an advantage for exemple, using it leaning against a wall  in portrait mode.

But you can't tilt or raise the camera with it. Not very practical ...😌

3 hours ago, FDS said:

After having and using the Leica table tripod and tall head for decades, I agree that it is solidly built but on the heavy side.  Sometimes easier to carry disassembled.

Recently, I switched to the Gitzo Mini-Traveler  https://www.gitzo.com/global/mini-traveler-tripod-kit-black-gktbb/

Much lighter yet very sturdy and still usable as a chest/shoulder pod.  Folds up easily and simple to use.  Less expensive than purchasing the Leica set new.     

+1 on this little Gitzo tripod, it's what I carry most often.

I do also still like the Leica one, but for stability only when used with the short ball head. I do however perceive the folded Leica legs and ball head would look in a x-ray like a pistol, so would fly with the Gitzo.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb FrozenInTime:

... I do however perceive the folded Leica legs and ball head would look in a x-ray like a pistol ...

Yes, for three times I've gotten problems with my carry on baggage screening at Heathrow Airport because
1. the Leica small tripod when folded up produces an X-ray image like a pistol,
2. a Gitzo monopod when pushed together looks like a cudgel,
3. the proportion of metal objects in my hand luggage was above average. 
Therefore, it's better to travel with tripods that look more harmless and are made of carbon.

11 hours ago, farnz said:

I've used a Minox vintage tripod for more than 10 years because it is virtually bullet proof, two legs unscrew and screw inside the third leg for extremely compact storage, it has a shutter release that also stores away in the legs, it is very light and, to be frank, it's just a joy to hold and use because of its brilliant design.

Pete.

I'm also interested in a table tripod. Do you know what the load capacity of the Minox is? Is it good for heavier than a Leica M?

I see a new version has been made - do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if it is of the same quality? 

55 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm also interested in a table tripod. Do you know what the load capacity of the Minox is? Is it good for heavier than a Leica M?

I see a new version has been made - do you (or does anyone else) happen to know if it is of the same quality? 

I have a maybe 25 year old Minox tripod, and it was fine for a 8x11 or 35mm Minox , but much more weight and the ball slips against the elastomer which is in the thickest leg; maybe the elastomer hardens with age ?