FUNLEADER Contax G35 F2 to Leica M Conversion review

pptmstr

hey sorry for the late reply. here's both of them from different angles. ring light at 5500K

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@pptmstr Thanks a lot for your effort!
Both of your Planars show the same coating as my converted Planar for Leica M.
That proves to me that my Zeiss Planar 45mm on my Contax is different. It's warmer, not as sharp, less contrasty and more prone to flare.

He is another example:

G Planar @ Contax:

G Planar @ Leica M:

FWIW, here is a quick instruction guide of how to remove the front sticker:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I ordered a Funleader helicoid for my G45 today. I have previously owned a converted G45 and should not have traded that some years back. Also about 6 years ago I bought another G45 with a goal of doing a self-conversion to LM (from a procedure documented here: G45 to LM conversion using a donor lens body ). Thatsaid, my goal has been unfulfilled for all of that time so I bit the bullet and ordered a helicoid. I did not know until today that Funleader conversions existed. I spotted their name from a Facebook Marketplace advert of all places and the seller seems to be a professional photographer (Michael Rosberg). His price is only USD630 and therefore highly competitive, however I know that a PayPal XR, US shipping charges to Australia and local customs processing fees and duty would have made his lens much more expensive.

A few shots from my first G45 to follow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@lenticularis Hey there! Did your helicoid for self conversion arrive? 

I guess a question to all: How does it feel? The focusing… I heard things about it feeling dry, a bit rough (I guess that can be greased!) but most importantly, I heard (and saw in a Korean video) there is a certain play when turning left to right to left to right and so on… certain wiggle / rattle which when contacting Funleader turns out to be normal tolerance … 
Play like that usually drives me nuts… but I am seriously considering this conversion. 45mm is just the perfect compromise of a lens usable on both on CLE and M6 and the lens renders beautifully!

@pptmstr How does your sample of the helicoid feel? And how did you attach the focus tab? Is it the adhesive one from 7artisans? Does it sit securely?

Thanks all!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered the 45/2 lens last year and I can confirm that there is a little play on the aperture ring and focusing ring at each click stop. I would not describe the play as rattle. It does not effect my normal use. I guess it has to do with Funleader manufacturing tolerance.

Edited by skueh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marckyokay said:

@pptmstr How does your sample of the helicoid feel? And how did you attach the focus tab? Is it the adhesive one from 7artisans? Does it sit securely?

I bought the fully converted lens. Only for the G35 I bought a fully converted black paint AND a separate gold helicoid (I have a problem, I know...) that I converted myself, which was extremely fun. Walking around with a lens that you converted yourself (I know, I know, it's just an optical block swap plus shimming, but still, not many get to do that...) is INCREDIBLY satisfying.

I can confirm the following for the G45:

- the focus ring rotation can be sometimes uneven, a bit of resistance can be felt in places, but they seem to vary. hard to notice in practice. for my copy it can be "fixed" by rotating the front block of the lens in either direction, by grabbing the aperture ring.

- the focus ring does have a tiny 0.5mm wobble (rotationally, none axially) without actually changing focus. same, hard to notice in practice. my Zeiss and Voigtlanders do not have it. I do not own Leica lenses, not interested for now, sorry.

- the aperture ring is pretty solid and satisfying. it has the tiniest wobble (rotationally, none axially), but to be fair, even my Zeiss ZM 1.4/35 has that, and it is one of the best built objects I've held. 

- the black matte metal is quite beautiful

Look, the above are serious nitpicks! Beyond that, please know that it is a beautiful product and I am grateful that Funleader has created it and that I own one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, pptmstr said:

I bought the fully converted lens. Only for the G35 I bought a fully converted black paint AND a separate gold helicoid (I have a problem, I know...) that I converted myself, which was extremely fun. Walking around with a lens that you converted yourself (I know, I know, it's just an optical block swap plus shimming, but still, not many get to do that...) is INCREDIBLY satisfying.

I can confirm the following for the G45:

- the focus ring rotation can be sometimes uneven, a bit of resistance can be felt in places, but they seem to vary. hard to notice in practice. for my copy it can be "fixed" by rotating the front block of the lens in either direction, by grabbing the aperture ring.

- the focus ring does have a tiny 0.5mm wobble (rotationally, none axially) without actually changing focus. same, hard to notice in practice. my Zeiss and Voigtlanders do not have it. I do not own Leica lenses, not interested for now, sorry.

- the aperture ring is pretty solid and satisfying. it has the tiniest wobble (rotationally, none axially), but to be fair, even my Zeiss ZM 1.4/35 has that, and it is one of the best built objects I've held. 

- the black matte metal is quite beautiful

Look, the above are serious nitpicks! Beyond that, please know that it is a beautiful product and I am grateful that Funleader has created it and that I own one.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, skueh said:

I ordered the 45/2 lens last year and I can confirm that there is a little play on the aperture ring and focusing ring at each click stop. I would not describe the play as rattle. It does not effect my normal use. I guess it has to do with Funleader manufacturing tolerance.

Thank you both for the detailed replies! 
I definitely got a little bit more excited to asquire the 45… 
Just… black or silver… DIY helicoid or ready made …

@pptmstr The focus tab seems to be the rubber 7artisans one, am I right? How is it holding up?

i recommend getting the helicoid and doing it yourself, it's satisfying and it bonds you with your lens.

the tab is this one (the thin 8mm one): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000076758211.html

it doesn't seem to be available anymore, but i think you should be able to find similar. i had to shave it a bit as the "flat" surface on the G455 was max 7mm wide so it wouldn't fit even the thinner one. not a big deal. careful with those exactoknives!

edit: spelling

Edited by pptmstr

On 11/4/2022 at 1:11 AM, pptmstr said:

Oh! Thank you very much! The fatter ones are actually what I knew as the “7artisans focus tabs” … I bet they are exactly the same… But that’s how it is in China, no IP is safe 😂 
Glad to learn there is a narrower one. I will order a few, thanks!

@Marckyokay  My reply is a little late!

Focus on mine is pretty smooth throughout. 

Aperture ring has tiny rotational play at each aperture and if I am really picky I think I can detect very minimal axial play too, however I am very satisfied with the build quality and finish of the helicoid, and the optics that I already appreciated. 

I went back and forth with the various shims until I settled on shims 1 and 2 (0.3mm total). I don't believe mine is perfect, but unless shooting wide open then it's unlikely to be an issue.

My M9 is not the best camera to show off the image quality, especially in harsh midday Australian light, however I attach a shot taken at f5.6 and a 1:1 crop. The shot taken with my Sony A7R3 shows up the absolute stellar quality of the lens, with a Hawks helicoid LM-Sony E adapter that also has a macro helicoid built into the adapter. The shot of the G45 on my M9 was taken using my 'Japanese Summilux' (Canon 50 f/1.4 LTM) on the Sony.

Incidentally, I also have a Hawks helicoid conversion kit that I used to convert a Contax G21 f2.8. The quality of the finish and documentation on the Funleader product are at altogether higher level.

• Like 1