CL in-camera color rendering question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a used CL (also have a TL2) and was surprised by how poorly color seems to render on the EVF and LCD.  Everything seems way oversaturated (and this is actually how the image renders if I shoot in JPEG).  The TL2 does not suffer from this and I'm wondering if others have experienced the same thing (and AWB or even manual WB settings don't seem to completely fix the issue).

I have shot the camera in DNG and I'm committed to using that moving forward (love the DNG output!)...nonetheless...still curious if this is normal behavior for the camera.  Thanks for any thoughts or advice...

Did you change the JPG output settings at all? They govern what the EVF and LCD show while you’re shooting. I shoot RAW only but set my JPG output to B&W, and that’s what I see in both screens when shooting. Output to LightRoom is RAW/DNG and that shows up on the computer screen in color.

I did play around with JPG settings but even minimizing saturation, the colors look way way off.  It's a little surprising.  I've already shot DNG keepers, so I'm not devastated, but it would be nice to be able to look through the viewfinder at something closer to reality...

I like the B&W idea, though I don't think I'd want to have that permanently on...

5 hours ago, Porchpockler said:

Just bought a used CL (also have a TL2) and was surprised by how poorly color seems to render on the EVF and LCD.  Everything seems way oversaturated (and this is actually how the image renders if I shoot in JPEG).  The TL2 does not suffer from this and I'm wondering if others have experienced the same thing (and AWB or even manual WB settings don't seem to completely fix the issue).

I have shot the camera in DNG and I'm committed to using that moving forward (love the DNG output!)...nonetheless...still curious if this is normal behavior for the camera.  Thanks for any thoughts or advice...

I guess you inherited the previous owner's settings and dislike his/her choice of colour bias. Reset and store your own preferences as User Profiles.

I've owned my CL since new out of the box. Since I normally have it set to raw only file output, I've never once changed or adjusted the JPEG settings. I process my raw files in LR Classic, typically at the defaults first, and have sometimes had JPEG+raw output turned on for quick access to finished JPEGs when traveling. 

As far as my eye can determine, there is so little difference between the JPEG image colors/saturation/density/etc compared to the raw files processed at LRC defaults it's hard to tell them apart. If that is not the case with your camera's output, the camera is likely not set to the defaults.

G

This is weird then...I just reset everything again (except image counter).  It is on default profile setting...everything still a bit oversaturated in the LCD/EVF.  Especially yellow seems over-represented (and by quite a bit).  True of the natural setting too...

Not a deal breaker, b/c I'll shoot DNG I think...but very odd.

18 hours ago, Porchpockler said:

This is weird then...I just reset everything again (except image counter).  It is on default profile setting...everything still a bit oversaturated in the LCD/EVF.  Especially yellow seems over-represented (and by quite a bit).  True of the natural setting too...

Not a deal breaker, b/c I'll shoot DNG I think...but very odd.

Wait ... Are you talking that the colors on the camera's LCD/EVF look off? not the colors on the JPEGs when uploaded to your computer? If so, look at the camera's display settings rather than its JPEG image processing settings. See if there are any opportunities to adjust the display settings for a more pleasing look. 

It really makes little difference what the colors on the camera LCD/EVF look like, particularly if you're outputting DNG files. But it can be disconcerting to see them look off the mark, color wise. I have a similar issue with my Panasonic GX9 ... the colors on the EVF/LCD look very different from the colors that the JPEG files have when I look at them on the computer, and the EVF and LCD themselves differ quite a lot. But I mostly just ignore what things look like there because it's inconsequential. The output in Lightroom Classic looks great.

Always remember that the LCD/EVF of a camera is primarily a tool for focusing and framing, and is not intended for critical exposure or color evaluation. The histogram (live or review) is a much better tool for exposure evaluation, and a larger, calibrated and profiled display is a much better tool for color evaluation. Camera LCD/EVF displays are inexpensive and constrained by size and power requirements, clumsy to work with for such purposes. 

G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

Wait ... Are you talking that the colors on the camera's LCD/EVF look off? not the colors on the JPEGs when uploaded to your computer? If so, look at the camera's display settings rather than its JPEG image processing settings. See if there are any opportunities to adjust the display settings for a more pleasing look. 

It really makes little difference what the colors on the camera LCD/EVF look like, particularly if you're outputting DNG files. But it can be disconcerting to see them look off the mark, color wise. I have a similar issue with my Panasonic GX9 ... the colors on the EVF/LCD look very different from the colors that the JPEG files have when I look at them on the computer, and the EVF and LCD themselves differ quite a lot. But I mostly just ignore what things look like there because it's inconsequential. The output in Lightroom Classic looks great.

Always remember that the LCD/EVF of a camera is primarily a tool for focusing and framing, and is not intended for critical exposure or color evaluation. The histogram (live or review) is a much better tool for exposure evaluation, and a larger, calibrated and profiled display is a much better tool for color evaluation. Camera LCD/EVF displays are inexpensive and constrained by size and power requirements, clumsy to work with for such purposes. 

G

Appreciate these comments.  Actually, I think the LCD/EVF display is actually indicative of the JPEGs themselves (particularly indoors it is noticeable...e.g., wood floors look way yellower and oversaturated).  B&W jpgs actually render nicely though.  I have taken some keepers with DNG files and I'm a convert to the format, but it would still be nice to see something closer to reality when I am framing photos.

1 hour ago, Porchpockler said:

Appreciate these comments.  Actually, I think the LCD/EVF display is actually indicative of the JPEGs themselves (particularly indoors it is noticeable...e.g., wood floors look way yellower and oversaturated).  B&W jpgs actually render nicely though.  I have taken some keepers with DNG files and I'm a convert to the format, but it would still be nice to see something closer to reality when I am framing photos.

Not sure to understand your problem sorry. Did you try to set film style to "NAT" (main menu #2) and/or saturation to "Low" for example?

2 hours ago, Porchpockler said:

Yellow on indoors  shots indicates LED lighting and not a camera fault. Use graycard for WB setting to mitigate.