End of the road for my 18-56?

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks like it... I forgot to take it out of my car last night, and it was frosty. When I took it out this afternoon it was all fogged up inside. A hair-dryer session only drove the mist from the inside of the outer elements to deeper ones. A spell on a radiator did not help. Now it has been sitting in a plastic bag with Silicagel for a few hours, and the mist has turned into droplets. I'll just leave it there until it clears and hope for the best with the electronics. I fear, however, that Wetzlar will have to be involved, or worse...

• Like 1

Jaapv,  I feel your pain.  My assistant did the same thing to his CL lens two years ago.  Tried almost the same remedy as you.  It went to Wetzlar and was DOA.  Wish you a far better result.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Perhaps white rice in a zip-lock bag for two to four weeks?  This has worked for me with older watches, cellphones and an early Canon s500.  Good wish for your lens.

Edited by m410
yes
  • Like 2

I guess you use it, since you have it in your car. I find I haven't used mine in months. If I take one lens, it's the 35TL; taking more lenses means adding the 11-23 or the 60TL - or possibly the 75SL. The 18-56 has just sat unused - not because of conscious rejection, just a lack of need to use it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, m410 said:

Perhaps white rice in a zip-lock bag for two to four weeks?  This has worked for me with older watches, cellphones and an early Canon s500.  Good wish for your lens.

Thanks. I think my big bag of Silicagel will be as effective, if effective at all.

It must be my lucky day - I had already found - but not ordered yet- a replacement at 799 Euro. So I tried my lens just now before hitting the buy button, it appeared to be bone-dry, and it worked flawlessly - phew.

• Like 15

I saw this last night and started to respond but was called away. Returning to a happy outcome is good, but also a wake-up call for me. I have been known to stow the camera in the deeper reaches of my car over night. Like my musical instruments, even though the camera is metal and plastic, I usually consider and follow the rule  -Only leave your valuables/perishables in the car as you would leave your kids.

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

It must be my lucky day - I had already found - but not ordered yet- a replacement at 799 Euro. So I tried my lens just now before hitting the buy button, it appeared to be bone-dry, and it worked flawlessly - phew.

As I thought and hoped: Patience rewarded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DwF said:

I saw this last night and started to respond but was called away. Returning to a happy outcome is good, but also a wake-up call for me. I have been known to stow the camera in the deeper reaches of my car over night. Like my musical instruments, even though the camera is metal and plastic, I usually consider and follow the rule  -Only leave your valuables/perishables in the car as you would leave your kids.

David

Your kids won’t die from condensation :lol: 

• Haha 1