jaapv

In praise of Topaz Sharpen AI

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find that the results for motion blur are really good! It needs just a touch of the blur brush to take the harshness off.

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I find that the results for motion blur are really good! It needs just a touch of the blur brush to take the harshness off.

nice..is this running on your new M1 Mini ? hows the speed ?

Reasonable - in auto mode the previews are  acceptably quick, about ten seconds, the final rendering is still fairly slow - say half a minute for a 24 MP image. It depends on the image, though, and motion blur correction is slower.

The Mac Mini M1 is a 16GB/0.5 TB one, It does not max out RAM, like it did on my old Mac Pro.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, jaapv said:

Wow, how in the world?!?! I may just have to dabble with Topaz. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FWIW I run a Windows desktop with a high end GPU (RTX2080) and preview takes <5 secs to render, and the final render similar to Jaap - about 30 secs. I agree about how good it is.

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

about 30 secs

Same on i-Mac 4GHz with 32 GB memory. As I understand it, Sharpen AI looks and processes every pixel individually, so self-evident processing time relates to size(Mp's) of image file. 

I don't think I would want to use it without a reasonably powerful processor.

10 hours ago, dkmoore said:

dabble with Topaz.

If you do, dabble that is, you will end up buying it!

I would like to try this and Denoise but my 2012 MacMini is just too old and under-specified to be supported. Time perhaps to upgrade to the M1 version, but according to the Topaz website they do not yet support the Apple M1 processor for either Sharpen or Denoise.

My only two cameras are a Leica X-Vario and Digilux 2; it would be interesting to see if Denoise made the 400 ISO setting on the Digilux more usable.

My MacPro 2010 (now replaced) and Macbook Pro 2012 run these programs, albeit coffee-making slowly.  Topaz Sharpen AI and Denoise  run flawlessly on my MacMini 2020 M1 Silicon. Just download a trial and see what happens.

4 hours ago, williamgm said:

according to the Topaz website they do not yet support the Apple M1 processor for either Sharpen or Denoise.

I think this statement from Topaz is technically correct, but misleading.  Sharpen probably has not been recoded for the Apple M1 ARM processor instruction set.  But the macOS on an M1 machine will still run code with the Intel instruction set using the Rosetta translator that is part of macOS.

Jaap & zeitz, thanks for your replies. I also thought Rosetta should be able to deal with the Topaz programs on an M1 computer (and as Jaap says, try it and see). It's all slightly academic right now as I have not yet moved to the M1 MacMini. I think I can safely say my current 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 MacMini (2012) with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB would find it a struggle, if it even allowed it to install.

The main bottleneck would be the amount of RAM. 

I put the maximum RAM it would take, 16GB (as well as two SSD's at the same time. I think the 2012 MacMini was the last version that allowed such upgrades by the user - one reason why I bought it).  It's connected to an old Eizo Flexscan S2243W display which I would probably upgrade to a better ColorEdge model (CS2420) if I buy a new MacMini.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb williamgm:

I think the 2012 MacMini was the last version that allowed such upgrades by the user

No, it was the 2018 version of the MacMini, I upgraded the RAM from 8 to 32GB.

In the 2018 model you could upgrade the RAM but not (as I did) upgrade from a 500GB Hitachi drive to a 500GB SSD and also add another SSD in the space below using a kit (see the iFixit website). I think the 2018 model has soldered in storage (at least, as I understand it from iFixit).

I also have 32 Gigs in my Mac Pro, and I still first close everything beside PS, Bridge, and Chrome. That helps a lot. I feel that with every upgrade, the programs seem to run a little faster.

While DeNoise and Sharpen are fantastic programs, the interesting thing to me is that if you put the photo in one, the analysis of the amount of denoising and sharpening suggested may be significantly different in the other.