Q2 Portrait orientation spot focus (Software bug?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, with the latest Q2 software update I seem to have a problem in spot focus in portrait orientation moving the crosshairs with arrow buttons using the EVF. (Set as EVF Extended)The crosshair does not appear to move around the screen as it does in landscape orientation. 
Does anyone else have this problem?

Hi Christine,
i could not repeat the problem you describe.
AF-S or AF-C, EFV use, EFV normal or extended, spot focus the crosshair cursor moves same in landscape or portrait oriantation.
2019 Q2 with 3.0 Firmware

What exactly do you mean with "The crosshair does not appear to move around the screen as it does in landscape orientation"
You may press the arrow buttens differently because of the portrait position? Try to press harder and/or in the right location.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I have 3.0 Firmware 2019 Q2 

AF-S EVF extended. 

The crosshair just bounces as it moves left, right, up or down as though it just can’t go any further. I can reset it to the center by tapping the back screen, it may move once correctly then starts bouncing when I touch the arrow again or jumping erratically. If I turn to landscape orientation it corrects itself immediately.

if I set to EVF Auto or EVF it corrects itself (sometimes). After toggling through EVF auto, EVF and back to Extended it started working, so I resaved my profile. Turned on and off but the problem returned. 

It is ok in Landscape or on the LCD screen

I have just noticed that when it works fine is when I can see my grid settings and info bar with exposure etc. but there is a point when all these disappear and I can only see the cross hair. This is when the cross hair movement fails. (I hadn’t noticed the info clearing from the screen before) it is very strange. Sorry it is hard to describe the exact circumstances when this is occurring. 

I think I have figured it out. In portrait orientation my face is quite close to the LCD screen and my nose is touching the LCD screen.  I guess the cross hair is trying to reset itself to the centre. If I can find the option to reset the crosshair to the centre by double tapping the LCD screen I may remove it.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Christine:

I think I have figured it out. In portrait orientation my face is quite close to the LCD screen and my nose is touching the LCD screen.

That is exactly what i wanted to suggest you...
I'm glad that you figured it out!
Your problem (and the left eye shooter issue) is one reason that i am not a big fan of touch-screens.

Enjoy your little gem

Chris

8 hours ago, Christine said:

I think I have figured it out. In portrait orientation my face is quite close to the LCD screen and my nose is touching the LCD screen.  I guess the cross hair is trying to reset itself to the centre. If I can find the option to reset the crosshair to the centre by double tapping the LCD screen I may remove it.

Having "Focusing > Touch AF in EVF" set to "On" makes it much more of a problem if my face touches the screen since it's constantly looking for input. Turning that off lets me shoot vertically in either direction without the focus point refusing to move or moving without me meaning for it to. One thing that really helps for shooting portrait orientation is to turn the camera so that the EVF is at the bottom, which puts the screen of the camera up above your face (provided your hair or hat isn't still touching the screen). I prefer to do this since the "Touch AF in EVF" is so handy and fluid to use, at least for right-eyed shooters. It's much easier and faster to scoot the focus point around the screen with my right thumb than it is to use the directional arrows. I wish Leica would give us more "touch-drag" options for the EVF like most other mirrorless cameras have, such as the ability to use only one side of the screen or one of the four quadrants, plus the ability to use "relative" versus "absolute" movement.

Edited by hdmesa

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Having "Focusing > Touch AF in EVF" set to "On" makes it much more of a problem if my face touches the screen since it's constantly looking for input. Turning that off lets me shoot vertically in either direction without the focus point refusing to move or moving without me meaning for it to. One thing that really helps for shooting portrait orientation is to turn the camera so that the EVF is at the bottom, which puts the screen of the camera up above your face (provided your hair or hat isn't still touching the screen). I prefer to do this since the "Touch AF in EVF" is so handy and fluid to use, at least for right-eyed shooters. It's much easier and faster to scoot the focus point around the screen with my right thumb than it is to use the directional arrows. I wish Leica would give us more "touch-drag" options for the EVF like most other mirrorless cameras have, such as the ability to use only one side of the screen or one of the four quadrants, plus the ability to use "relative" versus "absolute" movement.

Thank you for the advice 👍

• Like 1

• 6 months later...