M240 minor shutter release response inconsistency

DimLs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have noticed the following in my m240:

When taking photos, without even filling the buffer, some shots seem to be released with a very minor delay. This delay could be of a duration of 0,2 seconds. It just feels that most shoots are real snappy with this occasional delay. Moreover I feel that this delay happens more often to the first photo of a waken up camera.

I know I am getting picky but it just noticed that after I was concentrated on why sf-26 flash is not timing (its not in synch with the release) properly.

Do other have noticed this occasional delay and do you this its a normal thing for m240? I feel its normal.

Thanks

It's been quite a while since I last used an M (Typ 240), so this is from off the top of my head, but: yes, waking the camera takes quite some time, and the time when it is fully awake may not always be that obvious, particularly when using it with the range finder. The red flashing light on the back of the camera should be quite reliable: when it's still on or flashing, the camera is not quite ready to start shooting. I think.

3 minutes ago, pop said:

It's been quite a while since I last used an M (Typ 240), so this is from off the top of my head, but: yes, waking the camera takes quite some time, and the time when it is fully awake may not always be that obvious, particularly when using it with the range finder. The red flashing light on the back of the camera should be quite reliable: when it's still on or flashing, the camera is not quite ready to start shooting. I think.

the cam is totally awake without any flashing when this happens, but still I believe its an electronic thing and how the camera handles the data electronically and not actually being a shutter problem

I haven't felt what you're describing on my M240. If my memory card is nearly full, I feel it's a bit more sluggish though, especially if the card is big. But it'll be consistently slower, not random. 

Which metering mode is enabled? Classic? Advanced? Classic/LV disabled? If I understand things correctly (and I'm not sure I do), you'll have to choose classic if you want the least possible delay. That mode measures from the outside of the shutter curtain, and not the sensor itself.

That said, you're describing an inconsistent delay. I think metering mode is reasonably consistent, not matter which mode you use. But try classic mode, it might help.

Also, have you tried using a threaded remote shutter to see if the problem disappears when you use it? Perhaps the shutter button itself sticks a bit, the remote shutter might bypass this. Just to find out if it's a physical shutter button issue.

Edited by Tommyboi

I had two MP-240s and they both exhibited this behavior. This was not a wake from sleep problem, but another entirely different complaint. While shooting sometimes the camera stutters on the first frame, sometimes third or fourth frame. Sometimes there is just a very slight delay. LV was not on and I almost always shoot in Classic metering mode and only in RAW (DNG). I still have one MP-240 that I use as a spare to my two M10 bodies (I'm a professional photographer). The M10s do not exhibit this behavior at all.

I have put a cheap soft release button on the MP-240 and it seems to help a bit. It is very odd behavior that I could never figure out and I tried a lot of different settings and cards.