External EVF for waist level work.

P1505

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

Until I can afford a Hasselblad 907 I’m looking for a way to shoot waist level on the SL. I was thinking about mounting an external EVF on the hot shoe, but can’t find anything solid on what works. This is for stills only I don’t need something to record video into.

I want to in many ways emulate the experience of working with large format but without the film. I want to slow down. I want high resolution. A big part of this comes down to the size of the view. I don’t want to take a laptop with me.

If this works and I slow down enough, I may be able to warrant the SL2.

I’ve found you can shoot photos in video mode,  but you don’t see the aspect ratio in fact the correct frame your photo will have. It outputs however you have video mode set up.

The iPad may be a peculiar but workable solution if I can find a nice way to Mount it. It’ll be like shooting 10x8. I have an old iPad mini I’ll try it out with and see how it works. Being able to shoot on a big screen and then immediately download the image is kinda nice I think.

I have a series of important (to me) portraits to do of my family. I don’t think I can wait or want to risk the 5x4 camera.

If I could a digital camera of quality that let me shoot photos with an external monitor, I’d be tempted to shift from the SL.

I’ve ordered a £10 hot shoe Mount for my phone, will see how FOTOS works and if it’s usable I’ll get an iPad Air and a Mount to clamp it to the tripod. Or even use it handheld so I can trigger the shutter without introducing vibration.

I have used a "Feelgood" 5.5 inch monitor with an GDMI connection. It work fine for photos and video. It does not show any viewfinder information. It also works for playback in which case, curiously, it does show (optionally) focusing information. The screen size is similar to an iPhone 12 pro max.It has a separate Sony battery pack so it makes quite a heavy addition to an already large and heavy camera. Mounted on a tripod it all works fine. These are available on Amazon, and no doubt other places, in a variety of (larger) sizes. Personally I would have prefered something smaller but they seeem no longer to be available.

• Thanks 1