Is it mandatory to replace AF motor in S lenses that are working fine?

aksclix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an S 120 I bought used from someone who purchased it October 2016. After checking with Leica customer care, they told me they don't have any record of AF motor change on this lens. It has been working perfectly without any issues on SL2 and on S2. So, I want to understand this AF motor change background a bit more.. since this was late 2016, does it mean they already had a new motor in this when they manufactured it or does it still need the motor change to be sure? 

Aksclix,   The new design AF motors started to come available in 2017/18.  If Leica has no record of the AF motor replacement for you S120, it means you have the original AF motor.  Not every lens breaks down with the old AF motor.  I have acquaintances that shoot the S system and never had any S lens fail.  What happens with the old motor, the gearing makes a growling grinding noise when it is about to quit.  But not every time, sometimes the AF motor simply doesn't work.  In my case, I shoot landscapes manually so it wasn't a big deal with the AF motor dying in the field.  Leica for about a year, replaced the old motors with new old designed motors until they came up with a solution with a new design AF motor.  If your S120 AF motor dies, Leica at Wetzlar replaces the motor and does a total clean, lubricate and adjust (CLA) on your lens.  It will come back in tip top condition.  I have replaced 4 motors in my S lens system.  It cost a couple hundred USDs, but IMO it was worth it with the CLA and new motor.  My other lenses were covered under warranty.  I have never experienced a AF motor failure with the new design.   Last, if your lens AF motor hasn't died, don't replace it until it does....unless you are going out for a trip or photo shoot and have no other back up.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Aksclix,   The new design AF motors started to come available in 2017/18.  If Leica has no record of the AF motor replacement for you S120, it means you have the original AF motor.  Not every lens breaks down with the old AF motor.  I have acquaintances that shoot the S system and never had any S lens fail.  What happens with the old motor, the gearing makes a growling grinding noise when it is about to quit.  But not every time, sometimes the AF motor simply doesn't work.  In my case, I shoot landscapes manually so it wasn't a big deal with the AF motor dying in the field.  Leica for about a year, replaced the old motors with new old designed motors until they came up with a solution with a new design AF motor.  If your S120 AF motor dies, Leica at Wetzlar replaces the motor and does a total clean, lubricate and adjust (CLA) on your lens.  It will come back in tip top condition.  I have replaced 4 motors in my S lens system.  It cost a couple hundred USDs, but IMO it was worth it with the CLA and new motor.  My other lenses were covered under warranty.  I have never experienced a AF motor failure with the new design.   Last, if your lens AF motor hasn't died, don't replace it until it does....unless you are going out for a trip or photo shoot and have no other back up.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark 

Thanks @LeicaR10, that’s helpful information. 

11 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Thanks @LeicaR10, that’s helpful information. 

1 hour ago, aksclix said:

I have an S 120 I bought used from someone who purchased it October 2016. After checking with Leica customer care, they told me they don't have any record of AF motor change on this lens. It has been working perfectly without any issues on SL2 and on S2. So, I want to understand this AF motor change background a bit more.. since this was late 2016, does it mean they already had a new motor in this when they manufactured it or does it still need the motor change to be sure? 

Get the af updated if you are dependent on the lens. If not, play, enjoy and admire 😉!

(I have got my S-lenses updated; two after af failure, the remaining in order to be on the 'safe' side). 

Edited by helged
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some people had no problem until they placed the lens on an S007, especially after FW update. Others did so without any issue.  Some who experienced AF motor failure were able to still use MF.  For others, the lens couldn’t focus at all until repaired.  Some had every lens fail.  Some had no failures.

The only consistent finding is that I’ve yet to read about any failure after the latest motor was installed.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, helged said:

Get the af updated if you are dependent on the lens. If not, play, enjoy and admire 😉!

(I have got my S-lenses updated; two after af failure, the remaining in order to be on the 'safe' side). 

did it fail using s007 as well?

Leica had an intermediate fix, which was an improvement, while they were working on the permanent fix. This is probably what is in the 2016 lens. I also have a S-120 lens manufactured in 2016. I will probably have it updated the next time I go to Wetzlar, even though it is doing fine with the S3.

23 minutes ago, djmay said:

Leica had an intermediate fix, which was an improvement, while they were working on the permanent fix. This is probably what is in the 2016 lens. I also have a S-120 lens manufactured in 2016. I will probably have it updated the next time I go to Wetzlar, even though it is doing fine with the S3.

Oh that’s reassuring.. thanks 

If you’re not a working pro who would miss out on a job because of an auto focus motor failure I’d say go for it.

You could also send the lens away to get a preemptive fix at a time of the year when you’re less likely to shoot with it. It’s very good value (see the attached photo) and the turnaround time these days - even with COVID pressures - isn’t at all bad. 

I would personally always get a lens fixed as it increases its potential sale value (as most people are lazy/impatient and don’t want the hassle of sending it away themselves). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarnian said:

If you’re not a working pro who would miss out on a job because of an auto focus motor failure I’d say go for it.

You could also send the lens away to get a preemptive fix at a time of the year when you’re less likely to shoot with it. It’s very good value (see the attached photo) and the turnaround time these days - even with COVID pressures - isn’t at all bad. 

I would personally always get a lens fixed as it increases its potential sale value (as most people are lazy/impatient and don’t want the hassle of sending it away themselves). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

great.. thanks for sharing!
So, what's the turnaround time like? from the day you ship till the day receive it back?

It depends on their workload, typically. You should contact customer service and ask, as anything we say will be speculation, especially given Covid. It also depends on whether you send it via a distributor or direct. My guess is best case scenario it takes them a week to ten days to receive it and turn it around without any delays from Covid etc. Pretty sure some people have waited for months, but I think that was more during the time when the problem was new and lots of people were sending it in. I imagine they can turn it around quicker these days.

My own experience is that it has usually taken me a month or so from Iceland, but Iceland tends to be slower with shipping and receiving, as we have an extremely baroque customs dance that has to be danced every time something leaves or enters the country via post.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It depends on their workload, typically. You should contact customer service and ask, as anything we say will be speculation, especially given Covid. It also depends on whether you send it via a distributor or direct. My guess is best case scenario it takes them a week to ten days to receive it and turn it around without any delays from Covid etc. Pretty sure some people have waited for months, but I think that was more during the time when the problem was new and lots of people were sending it in. I imagine they can turn it around quicker these days.

My own experience is that it has usually taken me a month or so from Iceland, but Iceland tends to be slower with shipping and receiving, as we have an extremely baroque customs dance that has to be danced every time something leaves or enters the country via post.

One month from/to Norway as well, half of the time spent by Norwegian custum clearing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aksclix said:

So, what's the turnaround time like? from the day you ship till the day receive it back?

I shipped the lens myself to Wetzlar using FedEx which took around 3 days. Leica received it on the 8th December and by the 16th December it was fixed. The return shipping (which is free of charge!) took another 2 or 3 days. Great service at a very reasonable price - even if it was only for a CLA!

• Thanks 1

I got all seven of my S lenses before the fix came out. For less than the price of any one of them on the used market (where I bought them all), I sent them all off to get upgraded. Haven't worried since. I used the Contax 35, 120 Macro, and 140 while they were away, all world-class in the pre-S category. The rest of the system is so bulletproof, I can't imagine working with an un-upgraded lens.

• Thanks 1