M8 with Leica script?

84bravo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently I've seen photos on FB and elsewhere of Leica M8.2 with Leica script on the top plate. I know that the Safari had the script, but I was unaware of regular black paint cameras with that script. I googled around online but I haven't seen any information about a special edition. Has anyone actually seen such a camera? What's the story behind them?

I'm a sucker for the Leica script on the top plates of the M cameras, but it's strictly a cosmetic addition I know.

Thanks

8 hours ago, 84bravo said:

Recently I've seen photos on FB and elsewhere of Leica M8.2 with Leica script on the top plate. I know that the Safari had the script, but I was unaware of regular black paint cameras with that script. I googled around online but I haven't seen any information about a special edition. Has anyone actually seen such a camera? What's the story behind them?

I'm a sucker for the Leica script on the top plates of the M cameras, but it's strictly a cosmetic addition I know.

Thanks

If memory serves.......the top plate could be engraved with the Leica script at an extra cost.

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

If memory serves.......the top plate could be engraved with the Leica script at an extra cost.

I guess that makes the most sense. I'd like to have one with the engraving, but I don't think I could afford the premium for one today.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 84bravo said:

I guess that makes the most sense. I'd like to have one with the engraving, but I don't think I could afford the premium for one today.

If you really want the engraving I would say why don't you have a search on the internet for an engraver near you and have it done just as a personal treat?

I was considering having a 'blank' M top-plate similarly engraved and to have the thing properly executed by CNC laser-cutting machinery and paint-filled as requested to supplied 'artwork' (i.e. the required Logo and wording) from a very highly-regarded firm here in London it was going to cost around £60 / $75. I doubt it would be very much different in Philly. It really isn't that difficult for a proper engraver to do (apparently!).

Not that it matters (probably) but I also suspect that if you were ever to offer-up your body for sale then (everything declared and out in the open, of course!) it would actually increase it's attractiveness for a potential buyer. By way of example I bought my M Monochrom partly because it's top-plate had been engraved with the classic 'Leica' script (and Leica Camera Wetzlar Germany) and this really was the icing on the cake which sealed the deal. Don't underestimate the 'WOW' factor of a nicely 'Leica' engraved top-plate!

Do it! You will Love It and it will give you pleasure every time you take your camera out for a session.

Good luck and let us know how it goes - if at all!

P.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:01 PM, pippy said:

I was considering having a 'blank' M top-plate similarly engraved and to have the thing properly executed by CNC laser-cutting machinery and paint-filled as requested to supplied 'artwork' (i.e. the required Logo and wording) from a very highly-regarded firm here in London it was going to cost around £60 / $75. I doubt it would be very much different in Philly. It really isn't that difficult for a proper engraver to do (apparently!).

Could you share who the London firm was please?

Ernst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

Could you share who the London firm was please?

Ernst

Hi Ernst.

After I bought the already-engraved M Monochrom(*) I deleted all my contacts and so on but I've just had an online search and I'm 99.9% sure this was the firm I was dealing with;

https://www.krintech.co.uk/metal-printing/

In preparation I seem to remember all they asked for was a digital file of the artwork - I scaled-up 200% to retain detail - but as I didn't go ahead with the project I'm not sure what the next steps would have been. I was given a surprisngly short turnaround time (around a week if I remember correctly) but in these Covid days things might have changed to a large extent.

From telephone conversations with them they didn't need to have the top-plate removed and could happily execute the work on the camera 'as-is'.

Hope, first-off, it was them (but I'd put a bet on it) and hope they can help you with any project you come up with!

Philip.

(*) I see that I didn't explain things properly here (although I have done elsewhere). I was hunting for a silver-chrome M Monochrom for a long while and I fancied having the top-plate engraved with either the 'classic' Leica script or, possibly, my own Name/Scrawl much like the 'Ralph Gibson' edition Monochrom. But the body I ended up buying  already had the traditional Leica Wetzlar etc engraving which made the project null-and-void.

Edited by pippy

20 hours ago, pippy said:

Hi Ernst.

After I bought the already-engraved M Monochrom(*) I deleted all my contacts and so on but I've just had an online search and I'm 99.9% sure this was the firm I was dealing with;

https://www.krintech.co.uk/metal-printing/

In preparation I seem to remember all they asked for was a digital file of the artwork - I scaled-up 200% to retain detail - but as I didn't go ahead with the project I'm not sure what the next steps would have been. I was given a surprisngly short turnaround time (around a week if I remember correctly) but in these Covid days things might have changed to a large extent.

From telephone conversations with them they didn't need to have the top-plate removed and could happily execute the work on the camera 'as-is'.

Hope, first-off, it was them (but I'd put a bet on it) and hope they can help you with any project you come up with!

Philip.

(*) I see that I didn't explain things properly here (although I have done elsewhere). I was hunting for a silver-chrome M Monochrom for a long while and I fancied having the top-plate engraved with either the 'classic' Leica script or, possibly, my own Name/Scrawl much like the 'Ralph Gibson' edition Monochrom. But the body I ended up buying  already had the traditional Leica Wetzlar etc engraving which made the project null-and-void.

Hi Philip

Thank you for this. I'll follow up with them.

Regards

Ernst

• Thanks 1

This is an example of one of the M8.2 that I've seen online. This one is a "panda" I know. Others I've seen had Leica script like this but in white, not red. This is not my photo or camera, just one I've seen online.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!