MD 262 + 50 summilux or an M10-D

Murdog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Makes sense. 

I am in a different situation as I have an M7 that I could potentially sell in order to fund a used M10D in mint condition and have to add very little money. So it's very appealing to me. 

As much as I love the idea of analogue and try to hang on to the tradition, it's just so much troubles. I keep running into issues, and I don't manage to get the photos I want out of my M7. 

It costs me about 28 euros today in Paris for: 1 roll of Portra800 + lab development + scanning at 3MP. It goes up to 37 euros if I want to get a high res files. 

Considering I would need to add 2,5k to upgrade my M7 to the M10D, I see this as 89 rolls of films or 3200 shots. After that, the M10D is free, the M7 would continue burning my cash. 

My only hold back at this point is that I think the M10D will depreciate itself over the years while the M7 should appreciate itself. 

47 minutes ago, Steven said:

Makes sense. 

I am in a different situation as I have an M7 that I could potentially sell in order to fund a used M10D in mint condition and have to add very little money. So it's very appealing to me. 

As much as I love the idea of analogue and try to hang on to the tradition, it's just so much troubles. I keep running into issues, and I don't manage to get the photos I want out of my M7. 

It costs me about 28 euros today in Paris for: 1 roll of Portra800 + lab development + scanning at 3MP. It goes up to 37 euros if I want to get a high res files. 

Considering I would need to add 2,5k to upgrade my M7 to the M10D, I see this as 89 rolls of films or 3200 shots. After that, the M10D is free, the M7 would continue burning my cash. 

My only hold back at this point is that I think the M10D will depreciate itself over the years while the M7 should appreciate itself. 

interesting topic - I kept my MP and love it when I use it (especially colour) but costs have been going up and up 

I use it less and less as a result but keep it for sentimental reasons and because it is a good investment + I use it some time for a special look

I think that part of the solution, if you are keen and have the time, I don't, would be to either learn to develop, or buy a scanner or both?

where do you develop in Paris? I have just arrived and don't know much about the city ..

If I had an M10P or M10, i'd feel harder pressed to get an M10D. I recall you have an M10P (can't keep track though, I know you sold the M10R?), so the difference is even less than the M10 to M10D move because you're getting a screen less camera but everything else aside from the thumb rest and lack of screen are the same. I love the thumb rest, but if I didn't try it, I wouldn't miss it.

I see my M10D depreciating at around $100USD a month give or take. That's maybe 4 rolls of film + processing and scanning (depends if you do it yourself i guess). If you'll use it a lot, you'll get your money's worth. If you have other gear and shoot 1 roll of film a month, then it's probably not worthwhile (I aim to use this camera and my M10M evenly, so say 2 rolls of film a month...the price I pay short of shooting 2 extra rolls of film is $50USD, which i try to convince myself is just the convenience of shooting the M10D over a film camera. Or you could give up some other indulgence to own the camera which amounts to $50USD...or tell yourself you'll give it up).

My experience with digital (coming from film-M's since the seventies): digital improved my technique and my composition (first M8 now M10).
The screen (I am sorry going off-topic here) has been -and still is- a major support for me.
I do understand the wish for an M-D though. The M10-D is closest to the analogue experience.
I still shoot film and actually with great pleasure. I like to test B&W films and developers. I scan the results and use PS Elements for the "dark room experience".
Over the last years a number of my best pictures were made on film.
I never (really never) use the WiFi on my M10, I do not agree that the WiFi on the M10-D would destroy the analogue experience.

I sold my heavy 50mm Summilux and bought a 50mm Summarit in return. It makes the M-experience perfect for me.

Ok, I think I need to confess something. 

I just asked myself a thousand times: what do I like about the M7, what do I like about the M10P, what would I like about the M10D.. 

I turned the problem upside down and always come to the same conclusion. I like the look of it. The image it gives. It's a little embarrassing, I guess, but it's the truth. 

I prefer my M10P and the digital benefits and workflow in every way over the M7. Its more reliable, the photos are nice, its more versatile, and I do love to see my pictures asap, and be able to edit in Lightroom without having to walk in the rain and drop off the rolls, then wait for hours. Today, the only reason I still use the M7 is because of a feeling. The feeling to do something traditional. Its because of the look that it gives me. By the look, I mean the image of shooting film. I think it's cool, it's trendy, and I like doing it. 

If I had both the M10P and the M10D, I would probably use it this way: 

- Whenever I go out on my own, for street or landscape photography, or if im at home with my kids, it would be the M10P and the possibility to review my photos, delete them on the go, change my settings, etc.... It's just more reliable to me this way. 

-The M10D, you saw it coming, would be the body I take when im not alone. When im going to diner with friends, and photographing people in general. It's the body I would take to "look cool", and to...... pretend that I still take photos on film. There, I said it. I admitted the truth, to you, but more importantly to myself. 

I don't want the M10D because I like shooting without a screen. I actually prefer the screen. I want the M10D to pretend to others that I still shoot an M7. 

The truth is, it does have an impact on the photos I take. I saw it particurlary when I made my switch from Sony/Canon to Leica. With my 1DX and a 24-70 on, my wife used to be annoyed when I brought the camera with me. I always looked like "the photographer". She was annoyed to have that big thing pointed at her all the time. It resulted in... how can I say it.... blurry photos. 

Now with my M7 or M10, she doesn't see me as an awkward photographer, but more as an artist. She's more inclined to pose for me. Poeple in general would feel intimidated with my big setups. Now, with an M, they are more intrigued, and they want their photo to be taken. 

Here's a little anecdote to finish my post. A girlfriend of my wife kept telling me how amazing were my film photos (that my wife kept posting on instagram). During the summer, at a diner, I brought the M10 and took a candid shot of her. It was actually a very nice shot, so I turned the camera and showed it to her. She said: "oh, you can see the photo on this ? I thought it was an old camera". I could see the very deep disappointment on her face. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fedro said:

interesting topic - I kept my MP and love it when I use it (especially colour) but costs have been going up and up 

I use it less and less as a result but keep it for sentimental reasons and because it is a good investment + I use it some time for a special look

I think that part of the solution, if you are keen and have the time, I don't, would be to either learn to develop, or buy a scanner or both?

where do you develop in Paris? I have just arrived and don't know much about the city ..

https://www.nationphoto.com

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

...If I had both the M10P and the M10D, I would probably use it this way...

Interesting take on things, Steven.

In my case when I bought the M-D 262 I didn't really know what to expect. I thought the shooting experience would be practically identical to using my much-loved M9-P. I was completely blown-away to discover that it was nothing like using the 9 whatsoever. A couple of days after I bought the D we went away to France for 3 weeks. On the first shooting day I took both bodies. I went through the D files that evening and realised that 40 years' practice of using and understanding TTL metering hadn't gone to waste; the exposures were spot-on.

Using the D was, moreover, more productive than using the 9. The 9 didn't leave the house for the whole of the rest of the holidays and was traded-in as soon as I returned to London.

As far as showing anyone the back of the M-D 262 is concerned here's a gratuitous snap......:)......and I completely agree about the 'feel' of the rear of the camera when there is no screen; it feels absolutely gorgeous!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I also stick to M-D (262), as M10-D went too far in adding "features" moving away from the "zen attitude".

Even if the M10-DM, monochrom M10-D comes one day, I'd not buy (my past dream camera as monochrom lcdless).

What are the features that bother you so much ? 

Bought my M-D in autumn and love the shooting experience a lot. Iˋm more forced to compose carefully and decide what I want. After years with film, exposure is no problem, they are all fine. And its really good after a day of shooting to come home, plug in my SD-Card and go through my digital "roll of film". For me it works great.

Similarities with the M2...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by brunner
  • Like 2

Been using the M10D for 3-4 weeks. It takes work to get used not to review photos. It takes you to master your lens, which is not the case with all my lenses, but for some reason, it's the one I'm the most attracted to pick up. It just feels so good to shoot with it that (for now) it's worth the sacrifices. 

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman
On 1/13/2021 at 7:13 AM, Steven said:

...I don't want the M10D because I like shooting without a screen. I actually prefer the screen. I want the M10D to pretend to others that I still shoot an M7...

You know the song with the line, "when you’re cool boy, the sun shines all the time"? It's about a jazz musician in New Orleans who was asked why he wears black sunglasses at midnight and responded, "when you’re cool boy, the sun shines all the time." Nah, you shouldn't need the M10-D!

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

You know the song with the line, "when you’re cool boy, the sun shines all the time"? It's about a jazz musician in New Orleans who was asked why he wears black sunglasses at midnight and responded, "when you’re cool boy, the sun shines all the time." Nah, you shouldn't need the M10-D!

Ha ! Good one. What I keep from this story though, is that he likes wearing glasses at midnight (I do too, but that story will be for another day, on demand). He doesn’t need the glasses, but he feels good with them. 
I don’t need the m10d, but I feel cool with it. 
I stand by my statement from a few weeks ago, and I think the first step to anything in life, is to feel good for yourself, then you can do right by the rest. 
I feel so.... authentic.... when I use my M10D that it instantly improves my process and experience. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, Steven said:

...I think the first step to anything in life, is to feel good for yourself, then you can do right by the rest. 
I feel so.... authentic.... when I use my M10D that it instantly improves my process and experience...

Back in the mid-to-late 1970s I started to learn how to play (electric) guitar. My first guitar was an entry-level model (as one might expect) but it was certainly OK for a beginner and so for a few years things were going fine. Then, for Xmas 1980, I treated myself to a 'proper' instrument; a well-used 1964 Fender Strat. All of a sudden I felt as if the standard of my playing was letting the guitar down as it wasn't as good as the guitar deserved. Also as it was such a pleasure to play I found no difficulty in putting in many hours' worth of practice every day. The result was that my playing skills improved very rapidly.

There's a lot to be said for the sheer sense of Feeling Good which one might get simply from using good quality kit and, in turn, this can end up being be reflected in the end-results achieved.

Philip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pippy said:

Back in the mid-to-late 1970s I started to learn how to play (electric) guitar. My first guitar was an entry-level model (as one might expect) but it was certainly OK for a beginner and so for a few years things were going fine. Then, for Xmas 1980, I treated myself to a 'proper' instrument; a well-used 1964 Fender Strat. All of a sudden I felt as if the standard of my playing was letting the guitar down as it wasn't as good as the guitar deserved. Also as it was such a pleasure to play I found no difficulty in putting in many hours' worth of practice every day. The result was that my playing skills improved very rapidly.

There's a lot to be said for the sheer sense of Feeling Good which one might get simply from using good quality kit and, in turn, this can end up being be reflected in the end-results achieved.

Philip.

Great post. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1