Brand new Series M lenses from Wetzlar

Kim Dahl

23 hours ago, wattsy said:

I was thinking principally of Apple, largest company in the world, etc. but outsources virtually all production to the Far East (and, interestingly, is another company that once also manufactured in Ireland). I did my bit to help the US/EU trade balance by buying Gibson and Martin USA made guitars and a Fender amp (though I think the latter might have been made in Mexico).😀

Ian, I can't resist asking, what is/are your favorite Martins?  I've owned a few over the years and have settled with an OM-42.  In the closet is a 1937 000-18.  It sees daylight on special occasions when there are no kids or pets around.  

All western industrialised countries get agitated by their manufactured products and selling them to others, at the expense of services and other earners. Sure, my Microsoft Surface Book is probably made in China or Vietnam, but MS, Google, Apple, FB, Adobe, Amazon are selling home-grown US ideas, and seem to be making money. The UK's finance industry makes no product you can stub your toe on, but (until last week at least) seemed to be producing gazillions of pounds (and euros and dollars) for the UK economy. Tariffs on airliners and camera lenses (from whatever country) are just the expression of too much political testosterone.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

Getting back to original premise, which was "Brand New Series M Lenses from Wetzlar":

Did Peter Karbe, in a recent interview, suggest some New M lenses might be forthcoming?

Perhaps an APO 35mm in M mount?  Others?

By the way, the issuance of taxes on photographic products is nothing new.  I have a collection of the German Trade Magazine "Die Photographische Industrie" from 1905 up to WWII that has constant articles on various countries tariffs.  If anything, the EU is a trading bloc which came to existence to compete with larger industrial economies.  I just wonder where the money from all the tariffs, in the USA and EU, go to?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RayD28 said:

Ian, I can't resist asking, what is/are your favorite Martins?  I've owned a few over the years and have settled with an OM-42.  In the closet is a 1937 000-18.

Ray, I only own the one Martin – a D-28 which I like very much. I have enjoyed playing a few others from the current range, especially the 000-28EC (I like the neck), but I've deliberately avoided trying too many. I imagine your vintage 000-18 is quite something. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 36 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

no product you can stub your toe on

Not entirely true. Some US- and UK-based service industries generate a huge trade surplus and dominate the world market, namely finance, IT, entertainment. 

The EU is legitimately concerned about data protection by IT-providers from outside. There is debate to more effectively tax off-shore service providers, from Amazon to Uber. France since 1994 has the Toubon Law, with minimum quotas for French language content in radio and TV.

Edited by Peter Zapp

3 hours ago, Rick in CO said:

Getting back to original premise, which was "Brand New Series M Lenses from Wetzlar":

Did Peter Karbe, in a recent interview, suggest some New M lenses might be forthcoming?

Perhaps an APO 35mm in M mount?  Others?

By the way, the issuance of taxes on photographic products is nothing new.  I have a collection of the German Trade Magazine "Die Photographische Industrie" from 1905 up to WWII that has constant articles on various countries tariffs.  If anything, the EU is a trading bloc which came to existence to compete with larger industrial economies.  I just wonder where the money from all the tariffs, in the USA and EU, go to?

Hi there, Rick!

US tariffs go right into Uncle Sam's pocket (U.S. Treasury). Just like any other import duty. I assume the EU has a similar "wallet" for government revenue and spending - or maybe not. Maybe the ECB functions as a combined Treasury and "Fed."

And you're right (of course!) that US import duties have always been a moving target. Just depends on which industry is pressing for protection, and the ideology in power.

There was a time when a US traveller abroad really needed to get a US Customs inspection and document listing all the gear travelling with them (right down to serial #s) before leaving the US - so it would not get taxed/tariffed/dutied all over again when they "reimported" it on reentering the US.

As to actual new lenses - Leica has said nothing.

But the independent rumors out there are for retro revivals (probably in limited editions) of the f/1.2 Noctilux and 35 Summaron f/2.8 (possibly as part of a PROJECT WALTER commemorating the designs of Walter Mandler). Plus the usual suspects: 35 Noctilux, new versions of the WATE/MATE - anything anyone can fantasize about, with all this free time on their hands. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wattsy said:

Ray, I only own the one Martin – a D-28 which I like very much. I have enjoyed playing a few others from the current range, especially the 000-28EC (I like the neck), but I've deliberately avoided trying too many. I imagine your vintage 000-18 is quite something. 

A D-28 is a fine guitar and I wish I never sold mine.  BTW, that is where my nickname comes from.  I almost bought another one a couple of months ago when I took both my guitars to the shop for neck adjustments.  Martin production was hit hard by COVID and the dealer said he got a handful of new guitars since April and they sold fast.  He said he is selling incoming used stock as fast as they arrive and there are no bargains because of demand.  

The 000-18 is more guitar than I'll ever need given my skill but it is a joy to play.   

• Like 1

Hi Andy, Long Time No See (in person)!

My wondering was in jest.  Hopefully we will get past all this trade bickering in the near future, the USA has no camera industry to protect anymore.

I wonder if anyone has compared the 35 ASPH Summicron-M to the new 35 APO Summicron-L on the SL at 24 Mp?  

A 35 APO Summicron-M lens I would be interested in.   Maybe I should start a new thread.