Brand new Series M lenses from Wetzlar

Kim Dahl

Only some lenses. Because of US Tariffs.

https://petapixel.com/2020/08/27/leica-unveils-line-of-made-in-portugal-lenses-that-are-cheaper-for-us-buyers/

• Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, Black – MiP Price: $4,395, German Price: $4,895
  • Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH, Black – MiP Price: $2,295, German Price: $2,595
  • Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6, Silver – MiP Price: $2,595, German Price: $2,895
  • Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH, Black – MiP Price: $3,295, German Price: $3,695
  • Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH, Silver – MiP Price: $3,495, German Price: $3,895
  • Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, Black – MiP Price: $3,995, German Price: $4,395
  • Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, Silver – MiP Price: $4,195, German Price: $4,695
  • Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, Black-Chrome – MiP Price: $4,595, German Price: $5,095
  • Summicron-M 50mm f/2, Black – MiP Price: $2,395, German Price: $2,695

Edited by Dr No

36 minutes ago, Dr No said:

Only some lenses. Because of US Tariffs.

I think it more accurate to say  'Only some lens are marked"Made in Portugal"..'

Do not underestimate how much is made in Portugal - one factory, two sites.

3 minutes ago, pedaes said:

I think it more accurate to say  'Only some lens are marked"Made in Portugal"..'

Do not underestimate how much is made in Portugal - one factory, two sites.

I don't underestimate. It's a simple and clever work around.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, pedaes said:

It is not in Germany. It is a German, not EU, tariff.

ah yes..:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 minutes ago, Danner said:

But, why aren't Portuguese made lenses 20% less expensive?

Me thinks, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Not really it's quite simple.

The American market is one of the largest. An increase in price of 25% was enough to slow sales and have an impact on the company.

Making lenses in Portugal (officially) means the price can return to 'normal' in America to avoid the Made in Germany Tariff.

It's a clever and simple workaround.

Edited by Dr No

vor 11 Minuten schrieb jdlaing:

If certain countries traded fairly we wouldn’t have these tariffs.

There might be different perspectives on what could be called fair.
For the interests of the entire international community, it is sometimes necessary when smaller states occasionally resist being dominated by great powers.

I’ve never had a 50 cron.... I’m a 24/35/75 guy.....but I’m interested in the Portugal version of the non-Apo 50 cron.... I’m holding back till I hear some reviews that they truly are identical except for engraving....

I know it’s probably silly but as a hobbyist it’s not simply a ‘hunk of hardware’, the ability to rely on this lens hassle free combined with ‘emotional’ side of an investment is important. 

45 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

There might be different perspectives on what could be called fair.
For the interests of the entire international community, it is sometimes necessary when smaller states occasionally resist being dominated by great powers.

Agreed. 

However........When a smaller state becomes a part of a greater union of smaller states and then decides to do its own thing, and not part of the greater union’s philosophy, it becomes necessary to invoke tariffs due to unfair trade.

55 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

If certain countries traded fairly we wouldn’t have these tariffs.

Apart from politics, which is not my point, as a matter of economic policy, it is hard to see how a tariff on objective lenses from Germany which probably affects only Leica and then for a (relatively) small amount of trade, could be said to further any "affected" US industry.  If the purpose of tariffs is to help American companies compete better for US business, this does nothing of the sort.  I don't  know about the other products from Germany on the list, but this one seems kind of strange. 

• Like 3

Just now, AlanJW said:

Apart from politics, which is not my point, as a matter of economic policy, it is hard to see how a tariff on objective lenses from Germany which probably affects only Leica and then for a (relatively) small amount of trade, could be said to further any "affected" US industry.  If the purpose of tariffs is to help American companies compete better for US business, this does nothing of the sort.  I don't  know about the other products from Germany on the list, but this one seems kind of strange. 

All part of the economy. Pressure applied across the board in an effort to have the companies with power react to their government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danner said:

But, why aren't Portuguese made lenses 20% less expensive?

Me thinks, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

When the 25% tariff was imposed on Leica's lenses, they did not simply tack on 25% to the price of lenses headed to the United States. 

They raised prices across the board by 10% to circumvent U.S. based lens buyers from taking such a beating and used that 10% as a pool to pay the lens tariffs.  Leica also apparently took a hit by covering a percentage of the tariffs themselves. 

If you will do a search, this was a topic of discussion on this forum back when the tariffs were implemented.

Edited by Herr Barnack

1 hour ago, rsolomon said:

I’ve never had a 50 cron.... I’m a 24/35/75 guy.....but I’m interested in the Portugal version of the non-Apo 50 cron.... I’m holding back till I hear some reviews that they truly are identical except for engraving....

I know it’s probably silly but as a hobbyist it’s not simply a ‘hunk of hardware’, the ability to rely on this lens hassle free combined with ‘emotional’ side of an investment is important. 

I don’t know for certain, but I suspect that lens probably has been made in Portugal for a while now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rsolomon said:

Picture of lens production in Porto in 2017

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldwino said:

I don’t know for certain, but I suspect that lens probably has been made in Portugal for a while now. 

They have, see my post of production in 2017. The majority of Leica production is based in Porto and only final finishing and packaging takes place in Wetzler.

• Like 3