Screw mount lenses used on Leica M are cool

a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me as long as I put 39-M adapter on them, for decades,

I don't see why not using those with more practical Leica M which even exist in digital form.

They (LTM lenses ) are "different" (some have nothing to compare with them in native M mount.

Seen on old thread my favorites images taken with them, so I'd like to hear from you

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

taken with Leica M6 Summicron collapsible 5cm LTM on Tmax 100

They are lovely on digital M too

Summaron 3.5/3.5cm, M10

not the sharpest (of course), but I like those 'flaws'

Elmar 4/90mm on M10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even cooler on a black screw mount camera.

• Like 4

😇 of course !

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

My 1955 5cm Summicron Collapsible is an admirable performer on my M10M.

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 7

I love my LTM summitar very very much.  But I don't have a correct 5cm M adapter or can't find a 6bit generic M adapter.  The problem is Leica adapter is super expensive and generic mount has fit issue.  Do you have any good recommendations? 

Any experience with Rayqual M adapter?

Edited by jaeger

I can remember the surprise registered at Leica in London in 2015 when I produced my M9-P fitted with the 5cm Summicron collapsible. "That's not a combination we see very often", I was told. However, I ended up going home with just the lens - they offered to check my sensor, and spotted the first  signs of corrosion.

• Like 1

The Rayqual M adapter is very good. Recommended. 

I've tried the Fotodiox Pro adaptors, and they work with some of my lenses, but not all. My 28mm Hektor, for instance, will not focus to properly with the Fotodiox, but works perfectly with the Rayqual. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaeger said:

I love my LTM summitar very very much.  But I don't have a correct 5cm M adapter or can't find a 6bit generic M adapter.  The problem is Leica adapter is super expensive and generic mount has fit issue.  Do you have any good recommendations? 

Any experience with Rayqual M adapter?

I have a late coated 50mm Summitar which is one of my favorite lenses. I've been using cheap Chinese adapters with my LTM lenses with no problem. I have a 6bit generic adapter that I coded for a 50mm Summicron for my 50mm Summitar. I have quite a few generic adapters and all of them have worked fine for me. I have a few original Leica adapters which I paid on average $100 ea. I've found no difference in use.

Edited by 84bravo

Long Live LTM Lenses!  For years I never gave them a thought until I eventually acquired one on a screwmount body...and was thoroughly surprised and pleased with the result...and then put it on an M adapter for my M body and liked it there too. Then on a digital (non-Leica) body where it performed very well also. Since then I've bought mostly LTM lenses, ignoring the latest expensive Leica offerings.

• Like 2

I only have two LTM lenses, both Voigtlander. A Color Heliar 75/2.5 and a Voigtlander Ultron 28/1.9 Asph.
I love these two lenses and use them often. They are not quite different in rendering from today lenses.
(Color Heliar 75/2.5 above, Ultron 28/1.9 Asph. below)

• Like 7

I discovered (still use ...) Voigtlander with their LTM 15mm, then 12mm, no equivalent in other brands.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Many thanks to the OP. I'm more than happy to join this thread for sharing my experience on the LTM lenses. 

FWIK, Tokyo Kogaku Kikai Kabushikikaisha (Tokyo Optical Co., Ltd.) 
TOPCON was established in September 1932 to mainly manufacture the optical instruments for the Japanese Army, which are surveying instruments, binoculars, and cameras until 1945, the year they temporarily closed factories after the end of World War II, and received authorization from Tokyo governor to convert the factory for the production of commercial product lines.

In other words, Tokyo Optical was serving the empire of Japan dedicated in the early years.
Tokyo Kogaku produced cameras, beginning with a 6×4.5cm medium-format model in 1937. A 127 film camera followed the next year. The Primoflex I twin-lens reflex camera came out in 1951. The Topcon 35A was unveiled in 1953. In 1960 the company produced a 6x9 press camera on order from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. And they're focused on the construction, medical, and healthcare(optical equipment) market at the moment.

One thing that is interesting, the Japanese always kept the best for the domestic market and partially release their 2nd best choice of products to the rest of the world according to the local culture -- save the best for our people but the rest of the world. And this behavior making some of their lenses become relatively hard to get.

You may call it a replica but it's not, this company is so powerful, they redesign the formula significantly and pushing the optical magic to the next level indeed.
In 1942 Tokyo Optical came up with a successful formula for a lens opening up to f/1.5 by combining the front half of a Sonnar with the rear half of a double-Gauss lens. In the later years, the variation of the original design has been released over ODM/OEM orders for some of the fabulous(well-known) lenses.

I'm lucky enough to own the second generation Topcor 5cm F1.5 LTM(fixed some flaws and improved original design from Simlar already) in MINT condition, and this is one of my favorite lens which is great while mounted on the M10-P and M10M as well.
Please join me to enjoy the beauty of the vintage design if you can find one of them.

Remark: please feel free to zoom-in to 100% by click(or tapping) on the specific photo for more details.

▲P1

▲P2

▲P3

▲P4

▲P5

▲P6 

▲P7 outstanding performance from edge to edge as for a vintage design

▲P8

TOPCON CLUB Ref. URL: http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/lenscut.htm

1950 Simler 5cm f15 1950 patented 1940 w/Leotax F

1955 Topcor 50mmf15

1953 Angenieux 50mm f1.5 S21

Edited by Erato
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Thanks Erato,

you are lucky,

like this one (semi-Sonnar) ?

Yep, that's the lens. And more precisely, it could be a Sonner-Gauss hybrid formula indeed.

Here's mine lens mounted on M10-P previously:

Edited by Erato
  • Thanks 1

I have two, both fairly modern:

A rollei 40mm f2.8 that is glued on a minolta cle 90% of the time. A rollei 80mm f2.8 that I mount on the m3 when I need longer reach than my usual 50.

I really enjoy using both of them, modern but not bittingly sharp. Used to love the way they render on portra film. I am now learning how they render on b&w film.

Really looking forwards to see more images and examples in this thread. I love the 50 rigid and really want to discover how the previous 50 render.

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1