Live view stopped working

AdamG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I had a situation today (that still persists) - while having a walk the camera (SL 601) just stop "seeing", I wasn't able anymore to use the viewfinder or the LCD, since nothing appeared on it. The rest of the functions work fine, even light metering, the menu system etc. I switched battery, reset the camera, nothing worked. 

Does anyone have an experience with this kind of phenomena? Any advises?

Thanks, 

Adam.

Hello Adam,

You may have already thought of this but you haven't accidentally pressed the button to the right of the viewfinder - between it and the joystick?  It toggles the display settings. If it's not this then I'm sorry I can't help and hope that it's not a fault requiring a trip back to Leica for repair. 

Graeme

Here's a screen shot of the page in the instruction manual that refers:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your answer. No, it wasn't the viewfinder mode button. Eventually, I disassembled the lens and put it back on and it was ok. Difficult to understand, it never happened to me, but now it seems to be ok. If it comes back, I think that it will have to go to Leica labs (but given the money involved I really hope it wouldn't..:) )

All the best and a happy new year,

Adam.

4 hours ago, AdamG said:

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your answer. No, it wasn't the viewfinder mode button. Eventually, I disassembled the lens and put it back on and it was ok. Difficult to understand, it never happened to me, but now it seems to be ok. If it comes back, I think that it will have to go to Leica labs (but given the money involved I really hope it wouldn't..:) )

All the best and a happy new year,

Adam.

Just saw your post. this has happened to me a couple of times with the SL601 where everything went blank. After removing & remounting the lens all was OK again. Could be related to the electrical contacts misaligning or.....

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your note.  I've not had trouble with bad contacts between lens and body on my 601 - see below!

However, two things!!! First I did have bother when changing from a 24-90 to a R180 that resulted in blackouts and lock ups. After the camera body and lenses took a trip back to Germany, it turned out to be a SD card problem. I had a high speed UHS11 Lexar and I was quietly advised not to use it any more. Changed cards to Sandisk and the problem went away.

Secondly  I used to have a DMR.  There are a myriad of contacts between the DMR base,  battery units and the R9 body it was mounted on, and they often gave problems with connection issues.  The trick was to carefully clean them with a cotton bud dipped in iso propyl alcohol to get rid of any grease.  It always worked with the DMR and I periodically clean my lenses and camera body contacts this way too.  So perhaps carefully cleaning your lens and 601 body contacts might resolve the problem??? 

Hope this helps and it's nothing more...

Best wishes,

Graeme

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Graeme,

The camera is working ok now, I use adapted lenses, so I don't really know how can it be a problem, because the camera is configured to work without lens. But in any case I will clean whatever I can on the camera side.

As for SD, I didn't think about it. I use a high speed SanDisk, but the never had this problem while using a lower speed ones (say, SanDisk extreme). So maybe this is problem. If the problem will happen again I will switch the cards to see what happens, and also add a short note here.

Thanks, Graeme, for the attention.

Adam.