lost a diopter today

jaeger

Best to experiment, either through dealer or by using trial diopters at a local optician, before ordering.  All M cameras have -.5 diopter built in (focus patch set at 2m virtual distance).  But math doesn’t always perfectly account for individual user experience and comfort level.  I wear glasses to correct for astigmatism and distance, but still benefit from a +.5 diopter due to aging eyes.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 4:35 AM, jaeger said:

So be it, buying a new one.  My prescription is +2.0 but the M240 has -0.5 default.  I'm supposed to buy a +2.5 but there is only +2 or +3.  What should I get, I'm wearing a progressive glasses. 

The -0.5 default is a compensation for the 2 m virtual distance of the RF patch, so taking it into account will overcorrect. Visit your optician to use his try-out lenses to determine the strength you need.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or, get the (E)VF which has an adjustable diopter strength.  And it will allow use of the many lenses which can be coupled with an adapter but which do not interact with the Leica RF system.  You will have a Leica RF camera which is also a virtual SLR.  Those Russian lenses suddenly all work without shims and other nosebleeds.

Edited by boojum

On 1/2/2021 at 4:35 AM, jaeger said:

So be it, buying a new one.  My prescription is +2.0 but the M240 has -0.5 default.  I'm supposed to buy a +2.5 but there is only +2 or +3.  What should I get, I'm wearing a progressive glasses. 

I also lost one last year after a walk with the M on my right shoulder. The diopter probably unscrewed due to the movement of the body against the clothes.

Where you OK with the diopter you lost? if borderline, take the next one up. 

1 hour ago, Lelmer said:

I also lost one last year after a walk with the M on my right shoulder. The diopter probably unscrewed due to the movement of the body against the clothes.

Where you OK with the diopter you lost? if borderline, take the next one up. 

I'm still opting for the Olympus VF-2 or the more expensive but same other than being a Leica branded product, the EVF-2.  Diopter range from -3.0 to +1.0. 

https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/accessory/optical/vf2.html

10 hours ago, boojum said:

I'm still opting for the Olympus VF-2 or the more expensive but same other than being a Leica branded product, the EVF-2.  Diopter range from -3.0 to +1.0. 

https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/accessory/optical/vf2.html

I'd go for the nicer looking Leica branded EVF-2.  Smoother look and with the nice logo.  It's not really so expensive compared to Leica lenses or comparable Leica veiwfinders.

If you look around you might find one "preloved" at half the new price.

2 hours ago, jaeger said:

New diopter has arrived today, I notice there is no rubber ring, it is a new design?  It might scratch my glasses.... 

Where did you buy it?  A Leica dealer can confirm.

My M9 (Monochrom) diopter (same as typ 240) is a bit softer material than my M10 diopter (larger diameter), which has a harder, more rigid surface.  But my glasses have scratch resistant lenses and flexible frames that work fine with both.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

34 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Where did you buy it?  A Leica dealer can confirm.

My M9 (Monochrom) diopter (same as typ 240) is a bit softer material than my M10 diopter (larger diameter), which has a harder, more rigid surface.  But my glasses have scratch resistant, flexible lenses that work fine with both.

Jeff

The one I lost has rubber/soft material but this new one doesn't, it is a new design or... grey market?  I bought it from 1 of those 2 big online store in NYC. 

1 minute ago, jaeger said:

The one I lost has rubber/soft material but this new one doesn't, it is a new design or... grey market?  I bought it from 1 of those 2 big online store in NYC. 

I prefer personal contact with dealer reps, in person or by phone.  But places like B&H, while large with a significant online presence, also have knowledgeable reps, and a storefront.  Reputable Leica dealers don’t mess with grey market goods.

Jeff

7 hours ago, Lelmer said:

If you shoot with glasses, why do you need a diopter??

my glasses are progressive, I had to title my head up to see the focus patch but still doesn't work for me.

Edited by jaeger

7 hours ago, Lelmer said:

If you shoot with glasses, why do you need a diopter??

I wear glasses for distance and astigmatism, but still benefit from a +.5 diopter.  Not uncommon with aging eyes. But depends on individual needs and circumstances.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

my glasses are progressive, I had to title my head up to see the focus patch but still doesn't work for me.

I understand...I gave up trying to use the M with my progressive glasses but, .fortunately for me, the +2 diopter works fine.

I was just astonished you were trying to combine both, but Jeff is right... it depends on individual needs.

Edited by Lelmer