Leica M240 clean image at over 25,000 ISO!

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This was an idea I have had for a while now. Could I get a clean image at 25,600 ISO with my Leica M240. Yes(ish)

The before shot is the shot I wanted to take but I was using a Voigtländer 12mm F5.6 which vignettes by about up to 3.5 stops in the corners. To make matters worse I underexposed the shot to control the highlights. If you remember the old rule for shooting slides (E6) “Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves”.

So my settings were 1/8 sec at F5.6 at 3200 ISO handheld and I shot DNG.

Now for the important bit, I shot 12 frames without moving the camera.

In Photoshop I opened all the images into a Layer and highlighted all the images and Auto Aligned them. Then I changed the Layer to a Smart Object. So now I changed the Stack Mode to Median.

What this does is Photoshop looks for what is common in all the pictures and keeps that but removes what is random. So noise and anything like people that is in a different place between shots is removed.

Most of the noise is now gone in the building but the sky is showing a lot of noise. Make a copy Layer and run some noise reduction software, now put a Layer Mask on that layer and fill with black. Paint in the sky on the layer mask with white. On a Layer Mask - Black hides and White revel

Now to put the people back into the picture.

I opened the image with the family and ran my noise reduction software/filter to clean up the photo. I copied the resulting photo and pasted it into my clean shot of the building. Put a layer mask on the people image, fill it with black to the people image does not show through and now paint white on the layer mask to revile the people. Now flatten the image.

I nearly forgot to add, the building is the Guinness Store House in Dublin.

A lot of work to clean up a photo, but if you are stuck and have to shoot a high ISO you can do it and end up with a clean image. Be warned that this only works if there is not a lot of movement between frames! So not great for landscapes where trees etc may move.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jto555
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 1/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, VicRattlehead said:

Nice work!  Brings back memories of being at Guinness in 2003!

Hi Vic, you have to go back for another visit. The place has had a make-over, also try Jameson Distillers.

Ireland: The country where 4.9 million people work for the tourist board...  😋

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/3/2021 at 1:45 AM, VicRattlehead said:

Nice work!  Brings back memories of being at Guinness in 2003!

Nice photo and lightning jto555 - I like it! :)

Visited Guinness in 2018. Booked the "Connoisseur Experience" which was a great way to try out a lot of special beer, converse with a proper Guinness brewer in a small company and calm bar. Also fun to learn how to tap a proper Guinness. I can really recommend that option! That was the really big reward with the visit (the rest of the experience was OK, but a bit crowded, touristy and noisy).

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, martinot said:

Nice photo and lightning jto555 - I like it! :)

Visited Guinness in 2018. Booked the "Connoisseur Experience" which was a great way to try out a lot of special beer, converse with a proper Guinness brewer in a small company and calm bar. Also fun to learn how to tap a proper Guinness. I can really recommend that option! That was the really big reward with the visit (the rest of the experience was OK, but a bit crowded, touristy and noisy).

Hi Martinot, I am glad you enjoyed the visit. Would you belive I have never done the tour. I have done photo shoots of the tour but that is not really the same.

John

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, jto555 said:

This was an idea I have had for a while now. Could I get a clean image at 25,600 ISO with my Leica M240. Yes(ish)

The before shot is the shot I wanted to take but I was using a Voigtländer 12mm F5.6 which vignettes by about up to 3.5 stops in the corners. To make matters worse I underexposed the shot to control the highlights. If you remember the old rule for shooting slides (E6) “Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves”.

So my settings were 1/8 sec at F5.6 at 3200 ISO handheld and I shot DNG.

Now for the important bit, I shot 12 frames without moving the camera.

In Photoshop I opened all the images into a Layer and highlighted all the images and Auto Aligned them. Then I changed the Layer to a Smart Object. So now I changed the Stack Mode to Median.

What this does is Photoshop looks for what is common in all the pictures and keeps that but removes what is random. So noise and anything like people that is in a different place between shots is removed.

Most of the noise is now gone in the building but the sky is showing a lot of noise. Make a copy Layer and run some noise reduction software, now put a Layer Mask on that layer and fill with black. Paint in the sky on the layer mask with white. On a Layer Mask - Black hides and White revel

Now to put the people back into the picture.

I opened the image with the family and ran my noise reduction software/filter to clean up the photo. I copied the resulting photo and pasted it into my clean shot of the building. Put a layer mask on the people image, fill it with black to the people image does not show through and now paint white on the layer mask to revile the people. Now flatten the image.

I nearly forgot to add, the building is the Guinness Store House in Dublin.

A lot of work to clean up a photo, but if you are stuck and have to shoot a high ISO you can do it and end up with a clean image. Be warned that this only works if there is not a lot of movement between frames! So not great for landscapes where trees etc may move.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very good editing. Cheers Mike

• Like 1