Really, new cheap(er) film M in 2021 ?

What could make this plausible is, a die-cast magnesium alloy body, CNC milled and threaded, as needed.  Substantially fewer man-hours to produce.  Metal-leaf shutter with electronic control,  A-priority, TTL flash, and all that.  Perhaps some modest trim pieces.

Might work economically, but probably the Leica-loyalist would condemn it with faint praise (stating that gently), and it would go the way of the Summarit -M lenses.

• Like 3

‘cheap’ and ‘Leica’ do not go together but I’d be excited to see a new film M that was not just a nostalgia piece.

Can you imagine the excitement in R&D when the executive asks “ladies & gents, do you remember that we were the bleeding edge of film cameras once ?” and then “well, we’re back, please rise up and show the world how modern manufacturing methods, materials, assembly and quality methods can be deployed to make yet again, the worlds best 35mm film camera, affordable for real users!”.

Wow - bring it on!

Maybe they’ve been inventing better finders for the M11 and want to recover more of that investment.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me, as older MP user & as present M-A user, I don't understand the so small price difference MP/M-A.

Maybe marketing (I suppose of course) but if in reality, M-A price was launched too high ( maybe ? ) and sold not so many units.

To gain some customers, why not make M-A base cheaper ( old M now launched in 2014, "new" M as good with a bit less to justify the cheaper M ) ...

...like ME in digital M lines ( or M262 ? ).

I don't need other film M anymore, but so many "to-be-M-users" in the world would buy new cheap(er) M, I'm sure.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

Instead of hoping for a cheaper mechanical Leica, it's better to believe farther in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the lottery fairy.
Perhaps Leica Rumors prematurely published its next article on April 1st?😀

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Danner said:

What could make this plausible is, a die-cast magnesium alloy body, CNC milled and threaded, as needed.  Substantially fewer man-hours to produce.  Metal-leaf shutter with electronic control,  A-priority, TTL flash, and all that.  Perhaps some modest trim pieces.

Might work economically, but probably the Leica-loyalist would condemn it with faint praise (stating that gently), and it would go the way of the Summarit -M lenses.

I hereby suggest that this proposed Magnesium bodied Leica be named the Mg 12.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

hopefully without any electronics

I would love a modern version of the cl/minolta cle. Very different to the ma/mp and full of electronics. 

I want to get an MA at some point down the line. I don't think I'd go with a cheaper version of it if it meant cutting corner on craftmanship.

• Like 3

Perhaps it will be cheaper, if they leave out the viewfinder, so you have to buy a „Visoflex“ on top...

... or just for black and white film ... oh, I forgot: these models are usually more expensive...

To be honest: even if there were means of reducing production costs, this would only apply for a very small sector of a tiny part of their whole production, which will result in higher costs. 

For Leica „cheap“ makes no sense, even if it means several thousand Euro. 

• Haha 1

Seriously, I hope for the "thing" from Leica ... whatever it is.

Not for me but for film "longer life",

more users = more films to choose from for longer time 😉.

I do have some film gear of many other brands ( acquired over years Hasselblad, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Contax, etc. ).

Those are old now.

When needing repairing, it would be very hard or very expensive if possible.

My two M-A never had to be repaired since new late 2014, so I rely on Leica knowledge,

even if I've seen lately some MP/M-A users complains.

• Like 1

'Cheaper' means what? 10%, 20%, 50% less than the current model? So still much more expensive than a CLA'd secondhand M2/3/4/6. For what may all too easily seen as an inferior version (the cost saving would have to be made somewhere and the use on zinc top plates was not a long-term success as an example). Rumours are just that. If it comes to fruition I will be surprised.

• Thanks 1

It may still be more expensive than a secondhand M2, but it won't come with the fear that as soon as you proudly mention your new M2 on the forum a sage announces 'it will need a CLA'.

While film photograph makes a comeback millennial's wish they could afford a new Leica, and so far all Leica have done is concoct new limited editions. A cheaper model would go down a storm with young and old alike, but Leica are lagging way behind when it comes to having a finger on the pulse. If it exists it will surely have to be announced alongside a new business model that omits the word 'luxury'.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3

It would be a boon to existing film labs that return negatives along with quality scans.  Large general retailers might still process color and XP2 film but Walgreens and Walmart used to process film but did not return the negatives.  This might be OK for consumers to step into the film world but I think waiting four or five days is too long for the general public.  

I've never used a Leica CL film camera but something small, light, durable, with a moderately good lens, auto metering, and a price point < $1,000 might have a chance.  This assumes a large target market that are OK with forgoing instantly textable digital files.  

A slightly better market might be current film users, including current Leica users, with a slightly higher price point that could use M mount lenses.  Most current Leica users would rather get a used M3 - M4P but there might be a few that opt for a comparably priced or less expensive newer camera.   

For Leica manufacturing, meaning new cameras rolling off the assembly line, the current options are the M-A and M-P.  The chances of them lowering prices on them is slim to none.  A $2,999 M-F (F = Film) might appeal to a wider audience and make financial sense.  If the construction is right, it might steal sales from the used market which as we know is very active.   

All in all my personal opinion is a consumer priced film camera faces too many obstacles and Leica Corporate would not a take the risk. But, an M-F is worth a try.  

My 2 cents.  

My opinions as long time M Leica user :

- concerning repair/CLA when in use(d) Leica M in my experience over very long time is a concern and can be very expensive,

mainly with time consuming when needing CLA/repaired so in my decades repair slips the work hours are incredible

- so I do have some old Leica M needing repairs (M2/M3/M4), but it's not financially "right" to pay the repair cost then selling them

- maybe with more mechanical Leica M in the market, new or sh, the number of "new repairers" may increase over years

- I hope that new comer (M or not) is mechanic to be repairable for long

• Like 1

A new more expensive camera would seem a likely development, but cheaper?!

I guess a die cast body, electronic 'module' shutter and perhaps simpler rangefinder assembly is possible to cut production costs, but how much cheaper would the end product be?

Regardless, a new film Leica would be great to see.

• Like 1

Cheaper means 200€ less 

with year long waiting list for MP or M-A don’t expect miracle. Analog Ms will always cost around 4000€ brand new.

Leica could setup a special workshop in Portugal to avoid US tariffs. Hence a potentially cheaper M film cameras. But will you be ok to buy a made in Portugal ones ? 

Yes.

I use with pleasure (not any problem over years) Leitz/Leica made in Portugal as Trinovid (s), Pradovit (s), etc.

I know that all my M and some lenses began their life in Portugal before "finishing" in Germany.

As said so often, I don't care much if my gear is from Canada, Portugal or France (remember Angenieux ? ) or Germany.

• Like 1