HDMI output with initial AF tracking point and exposure data showing?

lecycliste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m using an Atomos Ninja V 5” monitor driven by the SL2’s HDMI port. It displays the viewfinder image just fine, but none of the AF tracking and exposure data shown in the viewfinder. This gives me a very viewable display at low camera angles - the eyepiece no longer gets in the way, and I can actually see what I’m shooting.

** Is anyone else using an external monitor, and how do I get the AF tracking point and exposure info I see in the viewfinder to appear in the external monitor? 

Right now all I get is the viewfinder image. I have to place the AF tracking point in the middle of the viewfinder and put the subject there when I’m using the external monitor without knowing if I’m AF tracking or not.

Thanks.. 

Edited by lecycliste

I have the same set-up. The leica HDMI out-put is clean output only. It is only sensor/processor data channeled through, so there is no menu layout on top.

• The con is you dont get to see what camera data/controls layout.
  • The pro is that is is the "purest" signal you can get.

In the near future, it would be awesome to have a Leica hybrid camera with a control software built for external monitor (like RED/ARRI and SmallHD) but that is still the preserve of dedicated video/cine cameras for now. Everybody cries about the flip out screen... I totally support Leica not giving into that. Back to topic=

From my findings with SL2+Atomos, you can rely on the wavefrom very accurately to expose your log. Set your zebra at the 100% threshold to avoid clipping, or use it a 50-70% to use it as an exposure guide for skin (fair) for example. The false colors tool works nicely, too. A thing SmallHD does better is the ability to zoom in and meter the image portion in the zoom... you can't have it all...

Leave everything Log/HDR on OFF and activate Legalize ON to correctly monitor your L-LOG output. It will show some exagerated grain and flatness, but it is normal.

Experiment with HLG (and you can activate the HDR processing on AUTO if you want the Atomos to do it for you before post...) for low light situation and you get suprisingly good results up to 12500ASA...

More to find here: (there are other videos about similar topics)

• Like 1