Chubby Summicron LTM

frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I couldn't resist this artist image of a IIIc with self timer. so they were proud enough of  the IIId to include in the 1941 book. A Summitar also, I think.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

I couldn't resist this artist image of a IIIc with self timer. so they were proud enough of  the IIId to include in the 1941 book. A Summitar also, I think.

My IIId with Summitar, great camera which I use a fair bit.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Just for context, here is the 1941 production chart of the Mechanics/Optics part of the business. No management, marketing or other, just how they organized production. Correct me if wrong, but it seems each type of lens, such as Summar, Hektor and so on, have their production somewhat centralized, even Thambar and Telyt get a box. Hope you can zoom in with the size limitation. Google translate might be used too.

Also the early step model IIIc getting a final quality check.Wish I could read those serial numbers! With IIIc serials starting in early 1941 arround 367000, one migiht assume these are from the first 6000 produced.  I.e.  360001-366999. Its fun to try to see details in the background that  help denote the practice, and items such as electrical fixtures , from the period.

Alan, on a quick translation this seems to be an historical overview of production rather than an actual one for 1941. It includes the I Model A (started in 1924 interestingly enough) which was out of production by 1941 and also mentions a microscope from 1890. There is some wonderful material from 1949 showing the 100th anniversary celebrations for the Leitz firm in Wetzlar. It seems that all employees were presented with memorabilia. Some of this material appears in the book 'Museum Leica' by Lars Netopil. Do you by any chance have any of that? I would love to see it if you have it. I was born in 1949 and I have a lot of Leicas from that year, including one that was delivered 3 days before I was.

William

You are quite right about the chart, clearly historical evolution of products, not current production. My mistake. I do not have the Lars book, where can I find it to purchase?  From 1949, I have 2 books, see photo: a history of the firm from 1849-1949 and a smaller one "100Jahre Optic and Feinmechanik in Wetzlar", I believe the latter was prepared in concert with the local Wetzlar business officials, to note Wetzlars mechanical expertise.  I include a letter sent Aug. 1949 to H. Stockler, well known Le ica author, regarding this book. Also some more small books honoring the Ernst Leitz leaders. I think Augie Bauer played a larger role in Leitz, than most people know, mostly microscopes. A final photo shows the Wetzlar optic competition founders that Leitz had from other Wetzlar firms

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, alan mcfall said:

I do not have the Lars book, where can I find it to purchase?

It is shown as "Sold out' on Lars website, but could try Leica Wetzlar shop. It is two volumes and heavy (weight).

Here are details 

• Publisher : Lars Netopil (January 1, 2018)
  • Language: : English, German
  • ISBN-10 : 300059261X
  • ISBN-13 : 978-3000592614
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

You are quite right about the chart, clearly historical evolution of products, not current production. My mistake. I do not have the Lars book, where can I find it to purchase?  From 1949, I have 2 books, see photo: a history of the firm from 1849-1949 and a smaller one "100Jahre Optic and Feinmechanik in Wetzlar", I believe the latter was prepared in concert with the local Wetzlar business officials, to note Wetzlars mechanical expertise.  I include a letter sent Aug. 1949 to H. Stockler, well known Le ica author, regarding this book. Also some more small books honoring the Ernst Leitz leaders. I think Augie Bauer played a larger role in Leitz, than most people know, mostly microscopes. A final photo shows the Wetzlar optic competition founders that Leitz had from other Wetzlar firms

Thanks Alan. Here are the items in the book by Lars which deal with the event. The item that would really take my fancy would be the first ever special edition with dates, a IIc (this example has been 'upgraded' with sync) engraved with '100 Jahre, Leitz Werke, 1849-1949'.  It seems that 3 such cameras were prizes at a Tombola raffle along with other prizes of binoculars and slide projectors. As there were only 3 such cameras I imagine that any example would go for a very high price at auction. My second photo below is from thumbnails and is not that clear. I will do better photos of the full pages in daylight tomorrow. The staff were treated to performances of music by Beethoven and received a card with a signature ( real or copy?) by Ernst Leitz. There are other photographs of the camera in the book, showing the serial number and other details. I will see what I can do tomorrow to put together a better image package.

If you email Lars, I am sure he will know where the book is still available. I have reviewed this book for a number of publications.

William 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are some slightly clearer images from the book by Lars. See my previous post above for details. Lars describes the camera as a IIc (it is from a IIc batch commencing with 44) which was the second prize in the raffle. It was later converted into a IIIf 'Black Dial', note the shutter speeds, but note also that the dial on the added screw-on plate is actually red. Note also the added self timer. Plenty of material for discussion there.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 2

For those with interest in photos of the leitz workers, factory, and production on the floor, I enjoy this book. From 1849 to 1972. It has over 100 photos and is available on Amazon or ebay. In German and not translated afaik. I include,  here one" interesting "photo of Oscar Barnack before his success as the "father" of the Leica camera.

I think I have seen also a Leica model Ic, engraved with the anniversary 1849-1949 and in addition to the IIIc, you show, distributed in very limited numbers, maybe at the celebration event in 1949.

F

Edited by alan mcfall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

For those with interest in photos of the leitz workers, factory, and production on the floor, I enjoy this book. From 1849 to 1972. It has over 100 photos and is available on Amazon or ebay. In German and not translated afaik. I include,  here one" interesting "photo of Oscar Barnack before his success as the "father" of the Leica camera.

I think I have seen also a Leica model Ic, engraved with the anniversary 1849-1949 and in addition to the IIIc, you show, distributed in very limited numbers, maybe at the celebration event in 1949.

F

It seems that there were just a small number of raffle prizes, possibly 3, making this probably the rarest of all special editions, as well as being the earliest They were probably a IIIc, IIc and a Ic. 

William