Chubby Summicron LTM

frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, jc_braconi said:

Really you don;t understand ? it's a masterpiece compared to some other lenses from other parties 

I call a lens a lens. Elements are made of glass. Call me old fashioned....  (which would be ironic on the Historica forum)😉

15 hours ago, pedaes said:

I call a lens a lens. Elements are made of glass. Call me old fashioned....  (which would be ironic on the Historica forum)😉

Keith, I am with you all the way on this issue of referring to lenses as ‘glass’. A lot of new photographic parlance has been created in the past 20 years or so which did not previously exist. My pet hate is the use of the word ‘analogue’ for film photography. Roll back to 20 years ago, before digital became the ‘norm’, you would not find that term being used. You can call me old fashioned too.

William

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

But it is interesting that the word “footage” is still used to describe moving pictures in films/movies/TV programmes when they have not exposed any feet lengths of film for years.

Film is still very much used but maybe we should say "metreage" now?

• Haha 1

i have to say, the resolving power of this lens from 1958 is incredible, though you have to click on the image and open it to see it properly

2 examples i shot this morning on medium format digital:

GFX50R + Elcan 90mm Summicron LTM

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, willeica said:

Keith, I am with you all the way on this issue of referring to lenses as ‘glass’. A lot of new photographic parlance has been created in the past 20 years or so which did not previously exist. My pet hate is the use of the word ‘analogue’ for film photography. Roll back to 20 years ago, before digital became the ‘norm’, you would not find that term being used. You can call me old fashioned too.

William

You are old fashioned😉. The thing is that a lot of young photographers have never actually taken photographs using film, and their differentiator is 'analogue' which simply indicates that it is not digital. So it is a new term and is generally used by a new set of photographers for whom digital is, in their experience, the only way that photographic images have been produced . I find that it can grate, but on the other hand nothing is more certain than change.

2 hours ago, pgk said:

You are old fashioned😉. The thing is that a lot of young photographers have never actually taken photographs using film, and their differentiator is 'analogue' which simply indicates that it is not digital. So it is a new term and is generally used by a new set of photographers for whom digital is, in their experience, the only way that photographic images have been produced . I find that it can grate, but on the other hand nothing is more certain than change.

I suppose we are all a little "old fashioned" but, of course, before digital there was no need to designate a camera as 'analogue', a camera was a camera, full stop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgk said:

Maybe I am, Paul, but the use of superfluous and unnecessary words always grates. I don’t oppose change, in fact I welcome it and innovation as well. I have spent my life not necessarily pursuing the latest and greatest and have been quite happy with that and I know that you are the same way yourself. I can understand young folk making up new words to make concepts intelligible to them, but I am bemused when older folk with longer memories adopt those words as well. I am proudly old fashioned.

William 

• Like 3

Why do we call digital cameras “digital” ?

why not call them “binary” All their little pixels are just like any other computer just recording a signal or no signal, a one or zero. Unlike our silver grains that develop to varying degrees, or maybe they are binary as well, each grain has been hit by a photon of light or not and turned black or not by chemicals?

well here in korea they generally refer to film cameras as "film cameras", and others as digital cameras...analog seems to be more of a "hip" word for the younger generation here and a few other south east asian countries

Edited by frame-it

Here are a few of those Leitz workers making those elents of "glass" that we now consider so dear to our old collected lenses. Date is most likely early winter 1941 with lots of window ambient light. This is from a book dated March 1, 1941, which is said to be in honor of the 70 birthday of Ernst Leitz II, below. The photo of him was taken by Herman Harz, a Frankfurt well known (just google) professional photographer. The photo is an attached print. If there is interest, I can add a few more production photos from 1941, as not to many may have seen this book of the history of Leitz, "Sonderdruck Aus Der Festgabe Fur Ernst Leitz, ( 77 pages). " The IIIc and IIId are in full production, but cameras were a small part of the overall production.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, alan mcfall said:

Here are a few of those Leitz workers making those elents of "glass" that we now consider so dear to our old collected lenses. Date is most likely early winter 1941 with lots of window ambient light. This is from a book dated March 1, 1941, which is said to be in honor of the 70 birthday of Ernst Leitz II, below. The photo of him was taken by Herman Harz, a Frankfurt well known (just google) professional photographer. The photo is an attached print. If there is interest, I can add a few more production photos from 1941, as not to many may have seen this book of the history of Leitz, "Sonderdruck Aus Der Festgabe Fur Ernst Leitz, ( 77 pages). " The IIIc and IIId are in full production, but cameras were a small part of the overall production.

please do post some more photos!

• Like 2

Just for context, here is the 1941 production chart of the Mechanics/Optics part of the business. No management, marketing or other, just how they organized production. Correct me if wrong, but it seems each type of lens, such as Summar, Hektor and so on, have their production somewhat centralized, even Thambar and Telyt get a box. Hope you can zoom in with the size limitation. Google translate might be used too.

Also the early step model IIIc getting a final quality check.Wish I could read those serial numbers! With IIIc serials starting in early 1941 arround 367000, one migiht assume these are from the first 6000 produced.  I.e.  360001-366999. Its fun to try to see details in the background that  help denote the practice, and items such as electrical fixtures , from the period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1