Advertisement (gone after registration)

saw this Very chubby Canadian Silver Summicron LTM today..quite heavy too

6 minutes ago, frame-it said:

was quite tempted but thought id research it a bit first.

You may find the Midland engraving, especially on the Hood, makes it quite desirable.

just found it in the wiki > what is UFK ?

1580001  - 1581000 Summicron f= 9 cm 1:2 (ELC.S-black.chrom+M-chrom.UFK) 1958

I don't know. The lens code is SOOZI if it is a 90mm/f2, and the Hood HMOOD. The hood was built-in later versions .

It is a fairly rare item in screw mount .Does it have its special front cap? Sure you will get further comments.

yes a front and rear cap, the cute hood, and a filter that's currently on the lens, probably to protect the front element from dust, the elements inside are nice and clean.

Lager describes the SOOZI-M and he says that it has a factory installed special screw to bayonet adapter. He also states that 'It appears that Leitz did not intend this adapter to be removed. Occasionally a lens is encountered where the adapter has been removed exposing a SOOZI (screw mount lens).This type lens is fitted with the raised red dot common to bayonet lenses'. 

You might wish to check this aspect of the lens. I might add that Lager devotes 8 pages of his lens book to different aspects and variants of this lens.

If you have a digital M and are thinking of buying the lens, I would recommend that you bring along an adapter and test it before purchase.

William

13 minutes ago, willeica said:

Lager describes the SOOZI-M and he says that it has a factory installed special screw to bayonet adapter. He also states that 'It appears that Leitz did not intend this adapter to be removed. Occasionally a lens is encountered where the adapter has been removed exposing a SOOZI (screw mount lens).This type lens is fitted with the raised red dot common to bayonet lenses'. 

You might wish to check this aspect of the lens. I might add that Lager devotes 8 pages of his lens book to different aspects and variants of this lens.

If you have a digital M and are thinking of buying the lens, I would recommend that you bring along an adapter and test it before purchase.

William

yes will take a fuji gfx to check.. its screw-mount but the shop is giving an ltm-m adapter with it.. its quite a heavy lens.

Edited by frame-it

vor 2 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

saw this Very chubby Canadian Silver Summicron LTM today..quite heavy too ...

Pleased to notice the tripod connection which I'm missing on the Apo-Summicron 90mm.

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

just found it in the wiki > what is UFK ?

1580001  - 1581000 Summicron f= 9 cm 1:2 (ELC.S-black.chrom+M-chrom.UFK) 1958

Unscalloped Focus Knurl  (all the items with detachable hood are like this - indeed)

I think is an interesting collectible... I have been tempted several times to get one (Wetzlars are very rare... and I suspect some have even been faked in the writings...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

9 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

(Wetzlars are very rare

Laney says only 12 LTM.

Edited by pedaes

Here is my screw mount Canadian one. No red dot for M mount alignment, but has two red dots to align the hood. I always found it somewhat interesting that the reversed hood slid completely past the front of the lens, so that the cap actually mounts on the lens and not the hood   The correct cap (IQYGO) is a flatter matt grey matching the hood finish and deeper than expected.  Also the depth of field scale is red with a black triangle for contrast. From collecting  about 135 serial numbers, it would seem the first lot 1119001-100 was produced in Wetzlar. Some have said that only 12 screw mount and 26 mount were from this lot. From my numbers, it is more likely there were more , but maybe some were scrapped or not shipped for some reason.  Clearly, the Wetzlar lenses are quite rare. The second lot  1477001-099  appear to be all Canadian, and the final large lot of 1000, 1580001-999, are all Canadian. Again, some have said that a total of only 239 screw mounts were made, my data shows that production was closser to 50/50.  Demand would have been good for both type mounts in 1957/58. As with other lenses, why was production shifted to Canada,  Import duties, taxes, cost, available labor?

Posted (edited)

picked up the lens, he had two, one was cheaper because of scuff marks on the hood and cap, so i took that one -800$ less!

gorgeous rendering and incredibly sharp & Love the transition to the out of focus areas

a few quick pics, jpegs from fuji GFX with Acros-Red and Classic Chrome film simulation On

Thank you for all the Tips/info & advice!

Edited by frame-it