they really do look like UFOs

John Z. Goriup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another one of those unlikely moments, when you see something you thought imposible - in this case, seeing all three of the Alfa-Romeo  'Disco Volante' styling exercises in one place. 

Designed by Bertone, with famed stylist Franco Scaglione leading the effort, the old design studio / coachbuilder had received a commission from Alfa-Romeo  to study and to design a series of cars based on researching the effects, and the reduction of aerodynamic drag. Three models were constructed in three consecutive years ( '53, '54 & '55 ), all based on the Alfa 1900 chassis and powertrain, ending up with the B.A.T. 5 which achieved a Cda of approx. 0.19. and actually clocked some runs in excess of 200 kilometers per hour

These were one-offs, always introduced at the Turin Auto show and  subsequently spent decades as curiosities in various corners of the world, under widely varying circumstances, until one determined collector undertook the effort locate, buy & consolidate all three under one roof in his collection. He had them restored and has since displayed them as a unit of three to emphasize the original intent, validate the concept and illustrate the advances in automotive aerodynamics via this project. These are quite historic cars which never were intended for mass-production, but nevertheless excerted considerable influence throughout the industry.

M9-P / 35mm Summicron Asph.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Very weird - but I like weird cars.  I'll bet these sell for a ton of cash nowadays, if you can find one that's up for sale.

I like the slightly weird but beautiful Volvo P1800.  In my mind's eye I could always picture the Pink Panther in a cartoon, driving one of these - but in pink:

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Located a few more from that memorable weekend. I believe it's only when you start delving deeper into the subject of the 'Disco Volante' B.A.T. styling studies, that one begins to realize how broadly they influenced the subsequent decade or so of worldwide automotive design. 

JZG

• Like 2

I see Mercedes 300SL Guillwing elements, certainly '63 Corvette Stingray details,  and probably a dozen more 'tricks' that found their way into others designs over the years.

This is the BAT 9, the final model of the three successive desigs, and I submit it clearly displays the concept of the tail fins that american manufacturers adopted so enthusiastically.

I also see the pitfalls of using a fast lens wide open, with its very shallow depth of field.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A rear view of BAT 7, the middle model as it were from 1954 - certainly glad they abondoned the outlandish and wildly excessive tailfins.....quite a startling sight.

JZG

• Like 3