cj3209

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was excited to get a pre-owned M9 Monochrom in excellent condition with very few shots and a new sensor.  Good looking camera, I have to admit.

Coming from a Q2, honestly, the control/settings layout is a bit dated.  But the pics show promise (I have to go out and shoot more).

And the mechanical shutter sound and the file write delay...whoah.  The settings offer two modes:  soft and discreet.  Both are so loud, forget about using this camera for wildlife shooting - it would scare away a bear.  And the slow file write is...interesting. 

But if the pics live up to expectations, I can accept the annoying and tinny shutter sound.

Cheers!

CJ

:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm pretty sure the camera will grow on you. Looks like you got a nice example.

Underexpose a little, and use the excellent histogram. Aim to not have any red areas at all blinking. You'll get beautiful files from it, if you accept its strengths and weaknesses. 

Good luck!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, cj3209 said:

I was excited to get a pre-owned M9 Monochrom in excellent condition with very few shots and a new sensor.  Good looking camera, I have to admit.

Coming from a Q2, honestly, the control/settings layout is a bit dated.  But the pics show promise (I have to go out and shoot more).

And the mechanical shutter sound and the file write delay...whoah.  The settings offer two modes:  soft and discreet.  Both are so loud, forget about using this camera for wildlife shooting - it would scare away a bear.  And the slow file write is...interesting. 

But if the pics live up to expectations, I can accept the annoying and tinny shutter sound.

Cheers!

CJ

That look like a brand new camera, did it come with shown lens instead of the lens cap?

46 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

LOL, yes sorry, MC means monochrome.  But i can't change/edit  my title...

What is the official name for the M9 monochrom?  Is it MM1?

No worry CJ 😇.

I think that after one hour, we can not edit.

Official name is on the camera ,

mine is "MONOCHROM" on side of the hot shoe,

and on the sticker's base plate " LEICA M MONOCHROM"

Leica M9 Monochrom is fine.

MM1 is forum's creation to differentiate from Monochrom M (typ 246) MM2 ...then M10-M ( not seen as MM3 ), after that waiting for other MM4 and so on.

Enjoy your new Monochrom.

Edited by a.noctilux

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

I always thought the 10760  designation for the M Monochrom was a tribute to the Kodak 760m. The M Monochrom is the camera that the Kodak engineers wanted to make after having to pull the 760m due to banding problems.

Interesting article on trailblazing Kodak 760m.

https://luminous-landscape.com/kodak-760m-review/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, cj3209 said:

Cheers!

CJ

That's a beauty!

The Kodak Engineers wanted to do a Monochrome version of the M8.It would have required uncompressed DNG, not the lossy DNG-8 algorithm.

The Kodak 400 series and 600 series used 12-bit digital sampling, but used a lossy compression scheme to store as 8-bits per sample. It made the cameras worthless ofr many scientific applications. The 700 series did away with the lossy compression scheme. The DCS200 series used 8-bit samples, for monochrome: very limiting. But mine still works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 7:01 PM, mmradman said:

Interesting article on trailblazing Kodak 760m.

https://luminous-landscape.com/kodak-760m-review/

I read this article literally years ago, shortly after it was published, and immediately saw the potential of BW sensors. It really made me wish back then that SOMEONE, ANYONE would produce a BW camera. It was with this article in mind that I eventually bought my M9M six years ago. To this date, it is still my favorite camera. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, cj3209 said:

Cheers!

CJ

Congrats! I owned a few copies of the M9M over about 6 years and loved the camera (still do). I'd say there may be a fairly steep learning curve to editing the files (you definitely have to). The files will be significantly flatter than those coming out of the Q2 which could be disappointing if you aren't expecting it. More so than other cameras I used the curves panel in LR A LOT.

good luck and enjoy.

• Like 1

The M9 Monochrom is by far my favorite camera ever.  I own an GFX 50r, a hasselblad H4d60, RX1r....but this camera has something special to it, and the enjoyment of using it beats anything I own.  I've compared the m10 Mono and I still prefer the CCD rendering of portraits.  You've got to work with its limited Dynamic range but when you shoot to its strengths I don't feel anything is better other than true BW film.  Enjoy the camera. 

• Like 3

Same as @leicaassassin, this camera is my favorite out of all digital Leica cameras. Yes, M10M has better ISO, is a better camera when you look at it from most parameters, but the M9M wins in the one that matters the most - image quality. To this day, there has been no other digital Leica that I’ve preferred using over a film Leica or that produced results that made me feel satisfied as much as I do with film, but M9M produces beautiful results every single time and especially with vintage glass. It’s the camera that comes the closest to matching the magic of film output : ) I hope mine will never break down. 

• Like 4