Leica SF 24D rechargeable batteries

Edwin Ho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am posting this in anticipation of delivery of a Leica SF 24D flash. Battery type to use is CR123A 3 volts.

Does anyone has experience using rechargeable batteries. As I understand most rechargeable batteries do not have similar voltage and is crucial to proper operation of the SF 24D.

It's been many years since trying rechargeables in this flash.  Iirc they didn't work.  I've been using disposables, they last forever.  Also I stopped using the rechargeables in other units, they died too quickly.  If I had to guess the disposables have 20x the life of rechargeables.  

4 hours ago, darylgo said:

It's been many years since trying rechargeables in this flash.  Iirc they didn't work.  I've been using disposables, they last forever.  Also I stopped using the rechargeables in other units, they died too quickly.  If I had to guess the disposables have 20x the life of rechargeables.  

Thank you, I am with you, disposable will be safer way to go. In any case I only use flash on rare occasions.

Just need to carry spare new batteries when the first set has been used multiple times.

1 hour ago, mariah said:

Who said that most rechargeable batteries do not have similar voltage?. I think all the AAA batteries have similar voltage and you can use them for your camera. 

But the SF24D (according to the OP) uses two CR123A non-rechargeable lithium batteries, each of which is rated at 3V. (I don't have any experience of this flash, but with my earlier SF20, the actual power output and power circuitry under the bonnet is I think pretty well the same - the differences being in the updated control systems for digital cameras.) Whereas rechargeable variants of the CR123A are available, some of these actually have a higher voltage (3.3V or even 3.6V) than the non-rechargeable type. Furthermore, the maximum current which the rechargeable variants can dump is less, and their capacity is a lot less.

Several years ago now, as Daryl implies above, several Forum members reported problems getting these flashguns to work properly with rechargeable batteries, and, given the above, this is not entirely surprising. (On the other hand, my large Metz 54MZ, which uses four AA cells, works perfectly well with rechargeable batteries.)

On balance then, I think Edwin is wise to stay away from rechargeable batteries with the SF24D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, masjah said:

But the SF24D (according to the OP) uses two CR123A non-rechargeable lithium batteries, each of which is rated at 3V.

On balance then, I think Edwin is wise to stay away from rechargeable batteries with the SF24D.

Thank you Masjah. As I will only be using the SF 24D occasionally, I shall use disposable batteries. Considering the cost of rechargeable batteries plus charger (even if it works with the 24D), it will not be a cost-effective option. FYI I do use Eneloop rechargeables for my Canon 580EXii.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Be that as it may, the SF24D (as indicated by the Over powered) utilizes two CR123A non-battery-powered lithium batteries, every one of which is evaluated at 3V. (I have no insight of this blaze, however with my previous SF20, the genuine power result and power hardware under the hat is I think pretty well something very similar - the distinctions being in the refreshed control frameworks for computerized cameras.) Though battery-powered variations of the CR123A are accessible, a portion of these really have a higher voltage (3.3V or even 3.6V) than the non-battery-powered type. Besides, the most extreme current which the battery-powered variations can dump is less, and their ability is much less.

• 2 weeks later...

Both my SF24Ds work just fine with rechargeable lithium CR123A batteries.  Zero issues.

Just took this pic a couple of days ago using the SF24D and rechargeable CR123A batteries.  The brand I use is called Watson.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Huss
  • Like 2