Passed on 35mm SL

aksclix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, I have been on the fence about getting a 35mm SL for 2 reasons.
1) I have the 24-90 and I am not convinced the 35mm f2 is worth an additional 5K USD while I  can shoot 35mm at f3.2 using my 24-90.. I had the 35mm f2 used for 4K USD  in my cart on B&H website but just couldn’t convince myself to hit the buy button.

2) I have a Canon 28-70 f2 as well albeit with an RP body.. I intend to swap it out for an R6 for the IBIS.. I LOVE THIS LENS and I do not want to part with it.. I only wish it had the IS. Leica 35mm f2 would’ve duplicated this particular range for me..

does anybody have both these lenses and can offer any comparisons?  I have seen some online galleries of 35mm f2 Leica and 50mm f1.4 Panasonic s pro.. they both match in image quality from what I can tell.. so another reason why I couldn’t bite the bullet and go for the 35mm Leica.. 

I need convincing with compelling images and not just recommendations 😁

I have both the R5 with the 28-70 f2, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 (on its way) and 70-200 2.8

I own the SL2 and SL2-S with the APO Summicron-SL lenses (35, 50, 90).

The 28-70 f2 on the R5 is fantastic and it is a nice option to have for when you just want one lens that can do it all.

The 35 APO Summicron-SL on the SL2 is pretty much perfect (to me).  It has incredible sharpness, the microcontrast is stellar (especially if you do monochrome conversions) and it just gives your images depth and impact that the 28-70 f2 can't.  I'm at work, but I'll post some images when I get home (although if you search my screen name here there should be some APO 35 images floating around).  Truth be told, I have far more images with the 35 APO and SL2, and that has nothing to do with the fact that I've had that combination longer than my R5 setup.

Edited by Dr. G
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

I have both the R5 with the 28-70 f2, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 (on its way) and 70-200 2.8

I own the SL2 and SL2-S with the APO Summicron-SL lenses (35, 50, 90).

The 28-70 f2 on the R5 is fantastic and it is a nice option to have for when you just want one lens that can do it all.

The 35 APO Summicron-SL on the SL2 is pretty much perfect (to me).  It has incredible sharpness, the microcontrast is stellar (especially if you do monochrome conversions) and it just gives your images depth and impact that the 28-70 f2 can't.  I'm at work, but I'll post some images when I get home (although if you search my screen name here there should be some APO 35 images floating around).  Truth be told, I have far more images with the 35 APO and SL2, and that has nothing to do with the fact that I've had that combination longer than my R5 setup.

I have the full canon packet also and look into Leica Summicron - SL lenses as a separate setup.. Not selling the Canon.. But I am very interested in this topic.. Look forward to hear some more regarding the SL 35 Summicron and the SL2-S combo and evening shots at ISO 6400-12000 range how do you see this? best Mikkel 

I have the 35SL and 24-90SL. Is it worth paying for the 35? It depends what your yardstick is. If you're just measuring focal length, then obviously not. If you want a bit more aperture, then probably not. If you want a smaller, lighter lens, then it depends on the condition of your back. Everyone has different priorities and values.

I bought it because I was looking for a moderate wide AF lens to use for handheld video on the SL2-S and Sigma fp. I could probably have found a Sigma L-mount that might work - perhaps the 45 that many people here have and like, or a wider one. But I also reckoned that, if I had it, I would use it for stills as well for theatrical stuff, and I reckon the Leica IQ would show through in stills. Finally, the clincher, I sold my Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph for a price that almost paid for the 35SL - so, as I no longer use M lenses, it cost me next to nothing (😉)!

So out of that jumble of reasoning, how does one decide "is it worth it"? 

I've had it too short a time to get the best out of it, but I like this one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@LocalHero1953 very nice picture that is..

I think I would’ve bought it if I didn’t have the 28-70 f2 canon.. truly it was the only thing that was holding me back.. besides, I do not like changing lenses outdoors much at all.. so the sl2 is always paired with the 24-90

@Leicaiste I have the SL2, a gfx 100 too with many lenses.. so the higher MP in R5 wasn’t quite appealing to me.. but wouldn’t mind if I got a good deal.. :) moreover, the R6 would only be used with my 28-70 f2. I have the older 85 1.2L too

• Like 1

The best way to know is to demo it and see how it fits, or not, into your style and workflow.  And ideally make prints. Otherwise forum posts will support whatever viewpoint you choose to embrace, as opinions typically run the gamut, and screen shots don’t tell all.  

Just think how confused you’ll be if the rumored SL 28-70 f2.8 materializes.  😳

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aksclix said:

Ok, I have been on the fence about getting a 35mm SL for 2 reasons.
1) I have the 24-90 and I am not convinced the 35mm f2 is worth an additional 5K USD while I  can shoot 35mm at f3.2 using my 24-90.. I had the 35mm f2 used for 4K USD  in my cart on B&H website but just couldn’t convince myself to hit the buy button.

2) I have a Canon 28-70 f2 as well albeit with an RP body.. I intend to swap it out for an R6 for the IBIS.. I LOVE THIS LENS and I do not want to part with it.. I only wish it had the IS. Leica 35mm f2 would’ve duplicated this particular range for me..

does anybody have both these lenses and can offer any comparisons?  I have seen some online galleries of 35mm f2 Leica and 50mm f1.4 Panasonic s pro.. they both match in image quality from what I can tell.. so another reason why I couldn’t bite the bullet and go for the 35mm Leica.. 

I need convincing with compelling images and not just recommendations 😁

I use the Sigma f2/24-35 Art. And would also like to see a comparison with your lenses. (I actually think the Sigma is of even better or equal IQ)    :DB):rolleyes:
I actually have it in EF mount and use it on a 5DS(R). Or adapted on the SL2.     The 24-35 plus SL 90 is for me the ideal combination. (Better than a single zoom that is much bigger, with less range.)

Edited by caissa

51 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The best way to know is to demo it and see how it fits, or not, into your style and workflow.  And ideally make prints. Otherwise forum posts will support whatever viewpoint you choose to embrace, as opinions typically run the gamut, and screen shots don’t tell all.  

Just think how confused you’ll be if the rumored SL 28-70 f2.8 materializes.  😳

Jeff

This zoom is mainly interesting because of its size (rumored to be small) and portability.

@Jeff S I’ve never been a fan of the 35mm focal length because I’ve felt it’s neither wide nor tight enough for portraits but I understand why the photographers choose it though.. it can become a do-it-all lens..  I prefer having different systems for different purposes without having to switch lenses as much as possible.. I love the 24-90..

I would love it if they had a 280mm SL lens at f4 and a 1.4x tc perhaps... guess it will happen in the years to come.. 

I didn’t know about the rumored 28-70.. it will be hard to give up the 24-90.. I also like it because of the extended range at both ends 

@caissa oh yes the 24-35 f2 is an incredible lens for sure.. your setup makes a lot of sense with the 90mm f2. But like I mentioned in my earlier comment, I do have a gfx 100, 23mm,  110 f2 prime, 250 f4 prime, 50mm prime and a 32-64.. so, the Leica sl2 will only probably stay with the 24-90 and I have a Panasonic 70-200 f2.8 which I love as well.. 

1 hour ago, aksclix said:

@Jeff S I’ve never been a fan of the 35mm focal length because I’ve felt it’s neither wide nor tight enough for portraits but I understand why the photographers choose it though.. it can become a do-it-all lens..  I prefer having different systems for different purposes without having to switch lenses as much as possible.. I love the 24-90..

Funny thread, then. Methinks GAS.

Jeff

• Like 1

Since you have the Canon 28-70 I'll post a few (more than a few) images from the Sl2 or SL2-S with the APO Summicron-SL 35.  Full disclaimer, I was never a 35mm fan until I got this lens.  I pretty much always had a 50 mounted but since getting the APO 35 I've come to enjoy the focal length.  I'll post a few different examples to show its versatility and rendering.  

I'm not a trained photographer, though, and you may not like my personal choices in subject, composition or editing, but at least you can see some of what the lens does in different settings.

The first few are from a nearby sculpture park...

• Like 1

Another from the sculpture park...

• Like 3

More sculpture...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Funny thread, then. Methinks GAS.

Jeff

Of course, there certainly is a fair amount of GAS!! The only reason I was even interested in this particular 35mm f2 Leica glass is the background blur it offers at f2 for portraits indoors and outdoors.. for all other reasons I think I will choose the 24-90 over 35 always.. 

• Thanks 1

Princeton University...

1 minute ago, aksclix said:

Of course, there certainly is a fair amount of GAS!! The only reason I was even interested in this particular 35mm f2 Leica glass is the background blur it offers at f2 for portraits indoors and outdoors.. for all other reasons I think I will choose the 24-90 over 35 always.. 

blur...

10 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

Since you alr

I actually have two systems because there are times when I need to focus very fast and accurately with shallow DOF - hence the R5 and the Sl2/SL2-S

But you didn’t write that you’ve never been a fan of 35mm.

Jeff