A New Year Wish for the M System

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4/3 has always been a dead end to me but i have kept my FF Zuiko 21/2 and 28/2 with pleasure. Here with their Leica M "counterparts". Monstrous lenses were not yet popular then.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 27/01/2021 at 11:19 PM, evikne said:

I hope someone at Leica reads this!

We have wished for this same feature before on this forum. It should be a simple thing for Leica to do in software. Unfortunately I suspect Leica is aware of this request but have chosen to ignore it, probably because of commercial reasons. They would prefer us to buy new Leica lenses or to send in the slightly older ones for coding. Making it too easy to use uncoded lenses would benefit other manufacturers of M mount lenses, who cannot copy the coding because of patent reasons (the patent of the M mount itself has expired).

43 minutes ago, mujk said:

We have wished for this same feature before on this forum. It should be a simple thing for Leica to do in software. Unfortunately I suspect Leica is aware of this request but have chosen to ignore it, probably because of commercial reasons. They would prefer us to buy new Leica lenses or to send in the slightly older ones for coding. Making it too easy to use uncoded lenses would benefit other manufacturers of M mount lenses, who cannot copy the coding because of patent reasons (the patent of the M mount itself has expired).

The mount patent is still, I believe, in effect. Everybody and their brother can make the bayonet part but the camera mount is still retained by Leica. If memory serves it was re applied for and granted as late as 2004.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I am a simple man with just one request,

Never screw up a brilliant rangefinder camera by building an EVF into the camera.

Keep it where it belongs as an add on accessory.

I agree. I need just ISO, 12-24 Megapixel sensor, RELIABLE/SERVICABLE electronic parts + long battery life. For everything else, there is SL line.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Never screw up a brilliant rangefinder camera by building an EVF into the camera.

But could the two not exist at the same time?

I am also a big fan of the rangefinder focussing system and am very happy with mine, but I also agree with Mahesh in the previous post - I would love a full frame evf camera with an M mount, but am not interested in an SL variant due to the size.  I love the form factor and brass construction, simple menu's and button layout and a sensor designed to make the most of rangefinder lenses.

I see a number of benefits of an evf in an M shaped body compared to the rangefinder:

1/ simplified use of very wide or tele lenses (or lenses with pronounced focus shift),

2/ no parallex problems,

3/ more durable than rangefinder optics,

4/ capable of gaining up in low light,

5/ built-in diopter adjustment

I'm sure there are more.  My point is that I would appreciate all of these in a M-shaped body.  Not instead of a rangefinder camera, but in addition to it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, easy_action said:

I am also a big fan of the rangefinder focussing system and am very happy with mine, but I also agree with Mahesh in the previous post - I would love a full frame evf camera with an M mount, but am not interested in an SL variant due to the size.  I love the form factor and brass construction, simple menu's and button layout and a sensor designed to make the most of rangefinder lenses.

I see a number of benefits of an evf in an M shaped body compared to the rangefinder:

1/ simplified use of very wide or tele lenses (or lenses with pronounced focus shift),

2/ no parallex problems,

I'm sure there are more.  My point is that I would appreciate all of these in a M-shaped body.  Not instead of a rangefinder camera, but in addition to it.

You're not alone but many (most?) M users seem to fear that an M mount mirrorless camera would kill their dear old rangefinder...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, easy_action said:

2/ no parallex problems,

All your doing is pointing out what we already know.

That the rangefinder is obsolete.

2 hours ago, lct said:

an M mount mirrorless camera would kill their dear old rangefinder...

well I hope it never comes to that!

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

hat the rangefinder is obsolete.

As a user it's not obsolete while I enjoy making images with it.  But if i had a wish it would be for both options (and bring back black paint...)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 1:03 AM, steve 1959 said:

I am a simple man with just one request,

Keep it where it belongs as an add on accessory.

Very original. Sarcasm will not get you anywhere. If you do not want to buy a camera with an EVF, you don't have to. The question is what wish you have for the M system, The current system already has an optical finder. So your answer does not add anything other than just a waste of time. Anyway, I am not going to comment further, so you may save yourself some time.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, easy_action said:

2/ no parallex problems,

They could have just build the SL2-S with a smaller body keeping the weight light. 

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

Very original. Sarcasm will not get you anywhere. If you do not want to buy a camera with an EVF, you don't have to. The question is what wish you have for the M system, The current system already has an optical finder. So your answer does not add anything other than just a waste of time. Anyway, I am not going to comment further, so you may save yourself some time.

But you did comment further.

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

Its not a waste of time to oppose the views of posters who want to ruin a beautiful unique camera.

Who knows leica may even read the forum?

17 hours ago, Mahesh said:

I didn't view Steve's comment as sarcasm at all. In a thread where people are expressing their views about what changes they'd like to see with the M camera, certainly it's valid to express am opinion that no changes are desired. I find myself in agreement with Steve. I'm delighted with the M rangefinder and hope it's never replaced with an EVF. That's not sarcasm, just my opinion.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, feelssadman said:

Does anybody else miss the switch for the drive modes (S-C-T) from the M240? Having to open up the menu to change the drive mode somehow takes the feeling of "reducing it to das Wesentliche" slightly away for me.

I don't miss the old version because there were many occasions where I accidentally switched to C and ended up firing off several unintended frames.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, fotografr said:

I'm delighted with the M rangefinder and hope it's never replaced with an EVF.

Who is calling for this alleged replacement?

Even on this very page, I'm seeing this.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:39 PM, easy_action said:

Not instead of a rangefinder camera, but in addition to it.