A New Year Wish for the M System

setuporg

I have an M10. I bought it because of its simplicity. But I want to get the best possible images out of it. There is surely no doubt that a good IBS system reduces camera shake and provides better images. Have Leica not installed this in their SL2 with its 40+MP? If in that, then why not in the M10R with its 41MP? I know the purist argument and its easy to say, if you want it then buy another sort of camera. But I don’t want another camera. I want the simplicity of Leica. IBS does not attract from that simplicity in any way. It just produces a sharper more detailed (less micro blurred) image. Just like the 41MP sensor of the M10R is intended to do. It is needed and it is time the M10 range had it. If the purist doesn’t like it all they have to do is not enable it in the menu. You don’t have to use live view on the M10, but you can if you want to be sure of pin sharp focus in a difficult situatiion. Well done Leica for giving us that!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lburn said:

There is surely no doubt that a good IBS system reduces camera shake and provides better images. Have Leica not installed this in their SL2 with its 40+MP? If in that, then why not in the M10R with its 41MP?

Size?

• Like 3

Well, it costs R&D time and money, to put something like this into the M, it’s a substantial undertaking for them. Given all the other battle fronts Leica are working on to keep their other products competitive - they can’t do it all at once. It will add to the cost of materials and the R&D has to be recouped. Notice how the M costs a lot of money already.

Edited by Mr.Prime

On 1/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, lburn said:

IBS does not attract from that simplicity in any way. It just produces a sharper more detailed (less micro blurred) image. Just like the 41MP sensor of the M10R is intended to do.

While there is no doubt that IBIS is extremely helpful in situations where the shutter speed is slow enough that body movement can result in a less than sharp image,

IBIS by itself does not produce sharper images. Quite the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Exodies said:

I keep wishing for the same things - finger print security access to the camera to make a stolen one useless and a circular sensor.

finger print access, that’s a cool idea, but even passcode security via the LCD touch screen would be sufficient, but only if the camera was secure enough not to be hacked.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, setuporg said:

A lot of folks wish various things for the M to become.  Ultimately, if you sum up all the wishes here, it should have a lidar, a printer, and a kitchen sink.

Since we all can wish here, I wish that people who want to make it something very much unlike the M system will just leave it the heck alone.

• Want EVF?  Get something else.
  • Want IBIS?  Get something else.
  • Want eye tracking?  Get something else.
  • Want GPS?  Get something else.
  • Want video?  Get something else.
  • Want easy battery/card access, or two SD card slots?  Get something else!
  • Want autofocus?  You get the idea.

Wishing you all a very happy New Year with a real M camera!

Would love to see IBIS (as it is rumoured) to bee in the M11!

Want IBIS? Wait for the M11... :D

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, Kwesi said:

It would be great if the M11 could remember up to 3 uncoded lenses based on the frame line pairs that get called up when the lens is mounted.

Or even a 'default' lens which tramlines would invoke would be a start. But I agree, this would be a very useful feature indeed.

• Like 2

Olympus will let you enter and store 10 legacy lenses. Desperately wish for this simple firmware feature for the Leica M, with bonus points if a specific profile could be applied beneath it (e.g. name a ZEISS Distagon 35/1.4 and use the 28/2 correction profile as recommended by ZEISS).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, astrostl said:

Olympus will let you enter and store 10 legacy lenses. Desperately wish for this simple firmware feature for the Leica M, with bonus points if a specific profile could be applied beneath it (e.g. name a ZEISS Distagon 35/1.4 and use the 28/2 correction profile as recommended by ZEISS).

This way Leica could help us to purchase 10 ZM or VM lenses instead of 10 Leica ones. Would such help come for free? :D Just kidding. 

29 minutes ago, lct said:

This way Leica could help us to purchase 10 ZM or VM lenses instead of 10 Leica ones. Would such help come for free? :D Just kidding. 

It came for free from Olympus to purchase lenses that aren't even a part of the MFT alliance 🤷‍♂️

I see what you mean, but I think better of Olympus' brand and products as a result of their openness and acceptance of reality.

12 minutes ago, astrostl said:

It came for free from Olympus to purchase lenses that aren't even a part of the MFT alliance 🤷‍♂️

I see what you mean, but I think better of Olympus' brand and products as a result of their openness and acceptance of reality.

Didn't help Olympus to survive unfortunately.
https://photographylife.com/news/olympus-has-fallen

2 hours ago, lct said:

Didn't help Olympus to survive unfortunately.
https://photographylife.com/news/olympus-has-fallen

Unfortunately.😥 

My most used film camera of all times is Olympus Trip 35. Still working today. Best family film camera ever (for me 🙂 ). Nice colors, sharp lens. No batteries

Never bought a digital Olympus. Always waiting for APS-C or FF dTrip 35. Never happened.😅