a small request

Bart D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@LUF Admin

I have no idea if this would be a popular request or just the opposite.

I find I miss a degree of "liking" a posted image.
The thanks seems to be either literally "Thank you" or "Appreciate you sharing this".
Like is to me one step further, "This appeals to me"

In the threads I follow, lots of posted images have greatly surpassed "This appeals to me".
How about something that goes further like "Special", "Remarkable", "Outstanding", "Extraordinary"?

I know I could express my recognition verbally but this isn't always allowed or expected.
And I often lack the time as well. I'm not retired yet (4 years but who's counting) and have little free time. Except when I have some vacation 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Crowns top hearts, to my understanding.

And as I once found out as I followed the forum on my iPhone, I found out by accidentally tapping above the 1 2 3 NEXT box in the left upper corner, that one can „Rate this topic“ with up to five stars. It could serve your purpose when the image is not in a photo thread.

Edited by tri

21 hours ago, jaapv said:

and there is nothing stopping you from giving a positive critique which would certainly be appreciated. 

From the Barnack’s Monthly image thread:

"So, if you'd like to show your acknowledgement or appreciation that someone has posted their picture then instead of posting a comment please use the "Thanks" button that you can find at the bottom right of every post."

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

I would very much like to see far more -respectful- critique in the image threads. The Barnack's thread is something completely different. The thanks button is used to tally the votes.

Allow me to correct a misconception.  As the 'steward' of the Barnack's Monthly my 'Thanks' button request relates back to the previous forum software where there was a simple "Thanks" button with no 'haha' or 'like' options.  

The Barnack's Monthly thread was started as a 'nursery' thread where those who hadn't posted pictures on this forum or elsewhere could post pictures for the first time free of worries about negative or hurtful criticism.  My request is to avoid members' unintentionally upsetting new posters with verbalised comments that might come across as far more hurtful to them than was intended and might put them off posting their pictures in the future.  We all have different thresholds.

My request was also about keeping the thread as a picture-only thread to prevent it from turning into a discussion thread - of which there are already plenty on the forum to choose from.

The options presented by the button are "Thanks" - the trophy on a purple background,  "Haha" - the yellow laughing emoji, and "Like" - white heart on a blue background; the meanings pop up when the cursor is hovered over the button of course (although I don't know how the translations on the German side of the forum come across.

Personally for the Barnack's Monthly Thread I give a 'Thanks' to any picture that it seems to me meets the monthly topic as set out in the boilerplate in the first post.  As the steward I normally don't give 'Likes' in Barnack's Monthly in case it's misconstrued by first-time posters.

I think that the synch between the button's hover-text and the choice of emoji could be improved, which is perhaps where a misconception has arisen, because an emoji of a trophy suggests 'winner' to me rather than the text's "Thanks".  To improve the button the trophy could be changed to an emoji handshake (for "Thanks") and the heart could be changed for an emoji thumbs-up for "Like".  The laughing face "Haha" seems fine to me.

It is a minor matter I think and Barnack's Monthly is, as Jaap rightly points out, an unusual set of threads (that I hope members derive enjoyment from).

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Just to reinforce one other fundamentally important aspect of Farnz' wonderfully illustrated 'Barnack's Monthly' threads (as clearly stated each month) is that it is, quite rightly, 'not a competition' and being able - in this one series of threads - to post preferences at different levels of 'likes' would be counter-productive to the whole ethos.

As far as Bart's original point goes, however, I can appreciate exactly where he is coming from and take this sneaky and unashamed opportunity to say 'Thanks, Bart, for all the fabulous images you've posted over the years!'......:)......

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1