M9 vs M9P

Loomis77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/27/2020 at 1:59 AM, boojum said:

OK, there have been musings that the "P" has a larger buffer

People here can "muse" all they want about the P version having a larger buffer.  But the fact will remain that there is no evidence that any M9 variant has a larger buffer than any other M9 variant.  Anyone who owns one of these magical super buffer M9 cameras should post a simple iPhone video of the camera shooting multiple frames in succession to prove that this feature exists.  But since none of these owners will actually produce that video, I will respectfully ask that they stop spreading incorrect information. 

6 hours ago, John Ricard said:

People here can "muse" all they want about the P version having a larger buffer.  But the fact will remain that there is no evidence that any M9 variant has a larger buffer than any other M9 variant.  Anyone who owns one of these magical super buffer M9 cameras should post a simple iPhone video of the camera shooting multiple frames in succession to prove that this feature exists.  But since none of these owners will actually produce that video, I will respectfully ask that they stop spreading incorrect information. 

I agree.  But would not a call or email to Leica provide an answer?  Regardless, a definitive answer would be more than nice.

"The name's so nice they say it twice . . . "   ;o)  I'd give a lot for a real egg creme.  Or a real bagel with a shmeer. 

Edited by boojum

• 2 weeks later...

Am I wrong stating that the M9 ¨silver¨ is grey paint while the real chrome top turned up with the launch of the M9P again? I might be wrong though... and it is obviously only relevant if silver is an issue 😉

I purchased the M9 gray paint in 2011 myself...  a bit dissapointed though since I was told that the chrome versions from Leica was gone forever... 

Digital cameras are not collector items. You just use them till they no longer work and cannot be repaired.

Since the M9 and the M9-P both have the same operational characteristics, I would suggest you spend less on the M9 and use the savings on something else, like lenses.

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Dr No:

I would buy the M9-P. As the M9 goes down in value the M9-P is increasing.

Are they? I might be wrong, but over the last one/ one and a half years I had the impression that both are getting pricier. I bought my M9 (without P) about two years ago. It was in a very good condition, just a little bit of brassing on the base plate. I paid under 2.000 Euro and I am pretty sure I could ask now almost 3.000. Actually I should ask much more because the camera kissed the street a few days after last christmas. I had it repaired at Wetzlar and asked them to replace the damaged top plate with the one from the M9-P. All I can say is - now it looks even better than my M10😅.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Knipsknecht said:

Are they? I might be wrong, but over the last one/ one and a half years I had the impression that both are getting pricier. I bought my M9 (without P) about two years ago. It was in a very good condition, just a little bit of brassing on the base plate. I paid under 2.000 Euro and I am pretty sure I could ask now almost 3.000. Actually I should ask much more because the camera kissed the street a few days after last christmas. I had it repaired at Wetzlar and asked them to replace the damaged top plate with the one from the M9-P. All I can say is - now it looks even better than my M10😅.

You may be right I've not really looked in a while. The M9-P really has held better though and that's the one I would personally buy. If there ever is going to be a digital collectors camera (or even just more-so) I think the M9-P is more likely to be it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am weighing up between buying a lovely used M9-P in silver, or a standard M9 in black paint. There is a hefty price difference of about £750 and both have latest sensor and around 15k shots.

I prefer the M9-P (but know pictures will be the same) aesthetically and am fortunate to be able to afford the extra, but any idea if paying that premium is sensible in the current market?

Anyone have any feel for what is typically the premium for a VGC M9-P over an older regular M9?  Anyone think M9-P might value better over time?

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 11:39 PM, setuporg said:

How's your M9-P?:)

Fabulous! One from the other day..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 250swb said:

I hope you like your new camera. You do have some dust on the sensor, there are threads that detail how to remove it.

Yes I noticed it too. Just after I took the shot! I'll clean it in preparation for the next time I go out shooting...(Today😁)

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2020 at 4:53 PM, Robert M Poole said:

The m9-p has a different display as previously stated I believe it also has an improved buffer which might be useful as it can get full if you take lots of shots in quick succession. 

I would take a look at the other options m240 and M10 just to reassure yourself. The m9 isn't without it's faults @Adam BonnBonn went through this a while back and I think ended up with an M10 via M9.

The M9's main appeal is the CCD sensor. I found it to be wonderful, giving a more organic film-like feel than the CMOS sensor. That's why the M9 is in such demand. Going to the m240 and M10 for other reasons are great ideas, but if you want the wonderful CCD sensor image "feel" or "atmosphere", than there's no comparison with the m240, M10, or M11. It depends what you are looking for. 

Leica factory lost my M9-P when I sent it in years ago to have the sensor replaced. They felt bad and gave me a new m240 in exchange. I never opened the box and traded it in at a Leica dealer for a new first generate Leica Q. The Q is fantastic and I still use it. However, I missed the b&w street photography feel I got with the M9 and just bought a used M9 (with the upgraded sensor). It arrived today. :)

The M9 is a great camera. Still love it. But after reading this old thread from the start, I wonder why the "elephant" in the room is not even mentioned. Encouraging anyone to buy a used M9 today without mentioning the sensor corrosion issue is not good advise. Eventually all original sensors will corrode. Only M9s with CCD ID 15 or 16 will not corrode. I did not see any original sensor on the second hand market in the last year that was free of corrosion... Leica will not (can not) repair it like they did  until 2019. There are third party solutions, but there is a risk that will break it completely and even after repair the M9 will not have exactly the same results as one with the corrosion free sensor.

Look here for a simple test for corrosion:

Edited by dpitt

About three years ago I got an M9P -but wouldn't have cared if it was the basic one- with the sensor changed by Leica, and a cheap Summicron 50 (version 5, I believe). Last year, I bought also second hand a very nicely priced M10r -from someone who was upgrading to the new M11, God bless him. This one goes with a 28 or a 75. 

I must say that I achieve good results with the 10r, but I am not in love with the color nor the rendering, and have to be careful to shoot at higher shutter speeds to avoid shake. I keep losing images: few, and I of course blame my forgetfulness, but it is annoying.  Definitely the M10r, and I suppose that goes for the 10, etc. is a better, more modern camera. But I would not be particularly sorry to part with it, and would never with the M9. 

I keep the 10r because, for my work, often times I need to travel light, and having two cameras with different lenses is helpful. Otherwise I would not. It is replaceable. The M9 for me is precious.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, irenedp said:

I keep the 10r because, for my work, often times I need to travel light, and having two cameras with different lenses is helpful. Otherwise I would not. It is replaceable. The M9 for me is precious.

If I were In your position, i would trade in the 10R for a second M9P with a replaced sensor. Owning and using both cameras will keep you in an endless loop of comparing color and rendering.

• Like 1