Leica Flash Unit for M9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering Leica SF24D as a replacement for the Olympus S20 (small auto flash).

Took some shots of family Christmas gathering with the S20; a little under-exposed (subsequently adjusted in LR by increasing exposure).

I hope to hear from those who had experience using the SF24D with an M9.

I used the 24D until recently, when I sold the M9. It worked well for me, shot it fully manual and got great images. Especially with a 21mm lens.

Mine is very clean, boxed, and is available to buy if you’re in the UK.

For total transparency and honesty though, as you will be shooting it manual or auto (which to me is a more faffy manual) you could get a cheap Godox brand new. Much larger flash physically, but a used 24d will go for £120 ish but a brand new Godox 350N can be yours for £70.

2 minutes ago, P1505 said:

I used the 24D until recently, when I sold the M9. It worked well for me, shot it fully manual and got great images. Especially with a 21mm lens.

Mine is very clean, boxed, and is available to buy if you’re in the UK.

For total transparency and honesty though, as you will be shooting it manual or auto (which to me is a more faffy manual) you could get a cheap Godox brand new. Much larger flash physically, but a used 24d will go for £120 ish but a brand new Godox 350N can be yours for £70.

Thank you P1505. I live in Western Australia..

In any case, I only use flash occasionally for family gathering and will like shoot auto all times for convenience and quick action.

Widest lens is a 28mm f/2.8 ASPH and shortest is 75mm f/2.4. I like a compact flash which suits the M9 and I can use it on holiday.

No bouncing and odd batteries for flash under this price tag. 

I have Leica flash which came after it. Forgot the model. It is with titlting head and using two AAA batteries.

SF26, found it from my review :)  https://leicameandme.wordpress.com/2016/12/21/sf-26-flashlight-for-leica-m-system/

For direct flash any old film era flash with dual range will do. I have old Vivitar made and it is just as good as Leica labeled on my M-E 220. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
On 12/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

No bouncing and odd batteries for flash under this price tag. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

• Fine with non-bounce; I do not need it, but fill-in feature on SF24D is a bonus.
  • CR123A  3 volt batteries are readily available online. I am inclined towards Panasonic (known and trusted brand). Unlike AAA or AA batteries, they are not the "common" type but as I have mentioned, it is readily available.
  • I have just committed to purchase a "used" SF 24D.
  • While I have the Olympus S20 (still usable), the SF 24D will seat nicely on the M9.
  • Price aside, I am passionate about Leica product.
3 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

But what would you recommend to an M9 owner who is looking for a small flash that has TTL?

I Googled your question as it is written and got this: https://www.chuckhawks.com/leicaM9_camera.htm

This, too: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=leica ttl flash&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Edited by boojum
2 hours ago, boojum said:

Thank you boojum, I have earlier researched the SF 20, SF 24D and SF 26 and have narrowed my choice to SF24D.

Just waiting for Ko.Fe in the morning (in NY) to reply with his recommendation.

13 hours ago, Edwin Ho said:

But what would you recommend to an M9 owner who is looking for a small flash that has TTL?

I have SF26, as I mentioned before. Tilt head, TTL, manual modes, slave and LED light. It is the tiniest flash I ever had.

Do I recommend any Leica flash on digital M? Only if you like Leica logo and nice design, packaging. I like my SF26 for it.

Just as my Visoflex III. Nice to have. :) 

I use Vivitar dual range flash from film era and results are not different from Metz made Leica labled TTL flash.

In fact, I know photog in Chicago, one of the very few who is using M for business as source of the income. He has several digital Ms and using manual flashes instead of Leica labeled with TTL. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
10 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I have SF26, as I mentioned before. Tilt head, TTL, manual modes, slave and LED light. It is the tiniest flash I ever had.

Do I recommend any Leica flash on digital M? Only if you like Leica logo and nice design, packaging. I like my SF26 for it.

Just as my Visoflex III. Nice to have. :) 

I use Vivitar dual range flash from film era and results are not different from Metz made Leica labled TTL flash.

In fact, I know photog in Chicago, one of the very few who is using M for business as source of the income. He has several digital Ms and using manual flashes instead of Leica labeled with TTL. 

Thank you Ko.Fe, now I understand where you are coming from. BTW, I just found my Yongnuo trigger which I have forgotten about; with it I can use it OCF. I should be OK with A mode. Yes, I do like the red dot!