Oleyo

Connie7

Since I do not understand your word "bonkers", the only thing I can do for you is to publish some images of the OLEYO I had - and used - in my collection.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Connie7 said:

Apologies. Bonkers means crazy. Love these images. Thank you. Did you find it interesting to use?

When we meet in Dublin, I can show you some of my exotic non Leica cameras with Dial and Ring Compur lenses from the period 1920 to 1940. Some have Leitz Elmar lenses and others have lenses by other high quality German manufacturers such as Zeiss, Schneider-Kreuznach and Meyer Gorling. The camera makes include Contessa-Nettel, Zeiss-Nettel, Nagel, Welta, Kochmann and Balda.  Some of our Dublin Vintage Camera Circle such as Tony Hurst and Noel Young have some beautiful examples. Noel, who has worked on some of your Leicas, has restored a lovely KW (KameraWerkstatten) Etui. Compared to Leica, the rest of the German camera industry from that period, which was largely based in Dresden, has been highly under recorded in historical texts. Leitz supplied some of its Elmar lenses into that market for a short time, but it was always one of the smaller players in a market in which the main drivers were lens mounts like the Compur and it soon abandoned that market to concentrate on its own Leica cameras and LTM lenses.

William 

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

I can send a copy of the manual in German :

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Connie7 said:

Apologies. Bonkers means crazy. Love these images. Thank you. Did you find it interesting to use?

Frankly, I used mainly my OLEYO - and OLIGO as well - to test same, mostly with the 5cm Elmar. Since at the time I was a collector, digital photography had not been "invented" and film costed quite a lot - notably in time spent in the dark room - I also used my "one shot equipment" when I needed urgently one only print.

By the way, since the German folder provided in copy by "heinzcraft" quotes the OLIGO version (a larger Ibsor shutter and the possibility to use other lenses than Elmar), I also add images of it (with Summar lens).

• Like 2

Just for illustration if needed, the two model of shutter

• Like 2

So, the difference between the OLEYO and OLIGO. It was the IBSOR compur?.

• Like 1

Here are a few of the round ones. Also, the rare possibly prototype only, square version with uncommon SOODL 50 finder.

Edited by alan mcfall
photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gentlemen for discussing this interesting Leica "rarity" although from Alan's pictures they may be rather thin on the ground because he has most of the North American examples already in safe keeping 😀.

I imagine that the photo results are 90% dependent on its stable mounting on a tripod, and the lens adjustments, and there are no new variables applied by the device itself?

• Like 1

If you have used a large format camera you should have no problems with the OLEYO or OLIGO.

It is a sequence of actions in a set order. Hasselblad made an ARC body which I have used as well as my Linhof

As long as you do not get the actions out of sequence all will be fine.

I have not used my OLEYO but will get around to it one day.

Cheers

Philip 

• 6 months later...

Ah!  But NOT so easy to use if you don’t have a film cutter to cut off exactly one frame. The first time I tried to use my OLEYO I probably messed up (that is to say misscut) at least 10 frames until I got one right!  It would have been so much easier with a safelight and ortho film!