We don’t need a 50mm Q2, we need a 75mm Q2

Tobers

1 hour ago, evikne said:

I didn't read your opening post carefully enough the first time, but now I understand what you meant, and the idea begins to make sense. I have also photographed in weddings with two similar (Canon) bodies and a 35 and 85 mm lens, and it worked great!

But a 75mm Q as a complementary camera is a very narrow concept.

Maybe not as narrow as a monochrome Q2 or M? Leica is king of niches.

• Like 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Tobers:

Because its much easier to swap between two bodies with lenses already attached (and built, refined and tuned specifically for those bodies) than to swap lenses, introducing dust, then have to swap back. Back to my original post, it is brilliant having two cameras set up ready to go and not have to change lenses.

Exactly THAT was what i wrote, 4 destinct Q2 with 15mm, 28mm, 105mm macro and 300-600 mm
All dust and waterproof to use them also in the tropics and dusty environments without have to swap lenses and expose the interiors to humidity and dust.
Would be nice if i wanted to employ a assistant and/or camera roady, but i dont want that so im fine with my original 28mm Q2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb jankap:

You are destroying this thread???

No, well there is some people here who enjoy the Q series with her 28mm lens and adapt to the camera and don't want to adapt the camera to their use.
Once a week someane post a new tread about how nice the Q2 with a different lens  would be for HIS needs forgetting that the Q series was designed to be as she is,
so some people here make sarcastic or ironic comments about another tread " how nice the Q with a xxx mm lens would be".
BTW; the same is valid for complaints about the firmware who are specific user "annoyance" and not one of the (not uncommom) errors in Leicas firmware.

Leica has a broad choice of camera bodies and lenses who should make everybody happy while the Q series is a fixed lens camera for a generic and wide angle use
with a good possibility to zoom on the computer (crop).
Also, the Q series is a bargain considering that the same lens but interchangable cost almost same as the Q and that leads me to
guess that Leica will not make concurrence to their interchangable lens models with a much steeper price tag.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Am 25.12.2020 um 21:48 schrieb Tobers:

There have been lots of posts over the years about having a Q/Q2 with a 50mm lens. But, with the Q2, there’s more than enough pixels at the 50mm crop to be usable, so there’s really no point in having a 50mm Q2. The Q2’s additional croppability is the only thing that makes me want to switch away from the Q-P I have.

So I think we don’t need a 50mm Q2. We need a 75mm Q2. With digital zoom, this could likely give us a usable set of focal lengths up to or beyond 150mm at very high quality. A fixed 75mm lens, say at f/2.5 or 2.8, would not be too big. It would also avoid the complexities of a physical zoom lens.

As an ex sport photographer, I learnt how delightful it is to work with multiple camera bodies and rarely have to change lenses. Just grab the camera combo you need for a specific shot. I used to have 3 Canon 1D bodies, and it was seamless - all the buttons and feel are the same and instantly familiar. A 2-camera package of a 28mm Q2 and a 75mm Q2 would be small, precise, delightful to use and cover all the main focal ranges you’d generally need. 

Also this approach would likely not dent the M sales as it’s fairly rare to use those at 75mm and above (as an ex M shooter I know the “fun” with longer lenses at wide apertures). This was often cited as a reason for Leica not to do a 50mm Q-model.

Thoughts from the collective?

If you write "need", the Q is basically the wrong camera

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2020 at 3:15 AM, PhotoCruiser said:

I would prefer
Q2 with 15mm diagonal fisheye for landscape (what i often do)
Q2 with 90mm for portrait work (what i never do)
Q2 with 105mm macro for macro use i often did
Q2 with 300-600mm zoom for wildlife (what i rarely do)
Q2 with 28mm for generic, every day use
For the price, the weight and space i have to carry the above around i rather get a SL2 plus the lenses, continue use my Nikon or just stick with my 28mm Q2.

I will stick with my 28mm Q2 and use the Nikon for the other needs.

Chris

Almost exactly what I’ve done. Q2 for walking around, fun macro, travel. Canon R5 with 11-24 for capitol rotundas and cathedral ceilings, 70-200 for portraits and general tele work. MPE-65 for serious macro, 500 f/4 for birds, wildlife, modest astrophotography. This is working for me extremely well. My only real temptation is to jump into the S 007 and a few lenses. The images from the S series cameras are magical. Almost 3-D looking. 

Since 2017 I stopped chasing unicorns aka QL and bought CL instead.
Can’t be happier. 
I am repeating myself over again and again. CL is the best sidekick for Q2
Same UI, same size, perfect to be used side by side. No need to look further. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb nicci78:

Since 2017 I stopped chasing unicorns aka QL and bought CL instead.
Can’t be happier. 
I am repeating myself over again and again. CL is the best sidekick for Q2. 
Same UI, same size, perfect to be used side by side. No need to look further. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare cameras with the same sensor size?  😎

7 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare cameras with the same sensor size?  😎

Indeed. Q and Q2 being meant to be cropped. They are kind of multiple sensor sizes within one body. 
Same for CL with its new crop mode. 

Q2 = 1x ; 1.25x ; 1.79x ; 2.68x   
CL = 1.5x ; 1.88x ; 2.69x

So just enjoy cropping in camera with both cameras. 

For example I am currently using a very tiny kit giving me access to those equivalent focal lengths and light flux    
CL + VM 15mm III = 6.3/22.5mm
Q2 = 1.7/28mm + 2.0/35mm + 2.8/50mm + 4.5/75mm    
CL + 56mm DC DN = 2.0/85mm + 2.5/105mm + 3.5/150mm

Edited by nicci78

Interesting idea op. I get what your saying makes sense. Imagine a 35 or 50mm cropped from 75Q2 with the creamer shallower depth of field of a 75? Also it takes advantage of the higher MP. Draw back is the starting depth of field is small..doesnt leave much margin of error. It will only work IF the camera has blazingly fast and accurate AF and leica aint noh fast shooter lol

A crop is a crop...A 75mm lens and inherent properties...cropped

Also are you suggesting a f1.7 70mm. It requires overall bigger footprint which is counterproductive to what a Q is meant to be 

Edited by cboy

• 11 months later...

I totally agree with the originator’s suggestion.

As a street photographer, I’d love a Q2 Monochrom 75mm option . Yes, I know I could get the same flattering angle and bokeh by buying a M10 a Mono body to go with my Apo ‘cron, but some quick AF with facial recognition and tracking to go with would be much better. And superior image quality than the so-called digital ‘crop’, with only 6.5 Mp plus barrelling distortion.

(Or a shorter, e.g. 40/50/60mm if suitably shallow DOF and compact)…

Jim

Q2 with 75:

- 2.8 probably, 2.0 unlikely in small size

- only a second camera, still needs original Q2 with 28 in the bag

- provides perfect 75-125 range and nice 125-150

Q2 with 50:

- 1.8 easy, likely 1.4, so comparable light gathering and dof @75mm

- can be the only one camera in the bag so 1/2 of weight and, for some buyers who don’t need to go wider, only 1/2 of the price 

- provides perfect 50-85 range and nice 85-100 range

If I was to choose I would certainly go with 50 because difference between 50 and 75 on wide end is very huge for a lot of tasks (especially indoors) while difference between 85 and 125 is, actually, not that much - If you really need that extra for indoors sports/activities, then likely, in real life, you will need even more (like 200..300mm) so I doubt 125 in tele will save you more often then 50 on the wide end

• Like 1