We don’t need a 50mm Q2, we need a 75mm Q2

Tobers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There have been lots of posts over the years about having a Q/Q2 with a 50mm lens. But, with the Q2, there’s more than enough pixels at the 50mm crop to be usable, so there’s really no point in having a 50mm Q2. The Q2’s additional croppability is the only thing that makes me want to switch away from the Q-P I have.

So I think we don’t need a 50mm Q2. We need a 75mm Q2. With digital zoom, this could likely give us a usable set of focal lengths up to or beyond 150mm at very high quality. A fixed 75mm lens, say at f/2.5 or 2.8, would not be too big. It would also avoid the complexities of a physical zoom lens.

As an ex sport photographer, I learnt how delightful it is to work with multiple camera bodies and rarely have to change lenses. Just grab the camera combo you need for a specific shot. I used to have 3 Canon 1D bodies, and it was seamless - all the buttons and feel are the same and instantly familiar. A 2-camera package of a 28mm Q2 and a 75mm Q2 would be small, precise, delightful to use and cover all the main focal ranges you’d generally need. 

Also this approach would likely not dent the M sales as it’s fairly rare to use those at 75mm and above (as an ex M shooter I know the “fun” with longer lenses at wide apertures). This was often cited as a reason for Leica not to do a 50mm Q-model.

Thoughts from the collective?

• Like 5

I can't speak for others here, but I would prefer a second model with a fast 40mm lens. I believe this would be a nice option for people finding 28mm too wide, not hurt M sales because this focal length is not covered within the M system - and still work well as a stand-alone camera (which is how I see the Q).

Alexander

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I would prefer
Q2 with 15mm diagonal fisheye for landscape (what i often do)
Q2 with 90mm for portrait work (what i never do)
Q2 with 105mm macro for macro use i often did
Q2 with 300-600mm zoom for wildlife (what i rarely do)
Q2 with 28mm for generic, every day use
For the price, the weight and space i have to carry the above around i rather get a SL2 plus the lenses, continue use my Nikon or just stick with my 28mm Q2.

I will stick with my 28mm Q2 and use the Nikon for the other needs.

Chris

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 34 Minuten schrieb PhotoCruiser:

I would prefer
For the price, the weight and space i have to carry the above around i rather get a SL2 plus the lenses, continue use my Nikon or just stick with my 28mm Q2.

Chris

I wonder, will that Q2 have interchangeable lenses? 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb M10 for me:

I wonder, will that Q2 have interchangeable lenses? 

No, i meant 3-4 different Q2's to carry around, that was once fancy ....

Maybe Leica should make a Q2-ULC versione where UD means User Lens Choice model where the buye can choose the lenght he condider neccessary for his use 😂
The QU-ULSwUPS would then be User Lens Choice with User Programmable Software, then everybody will be happy with the Q series camera.

Just joking!

Chris

18 hours ago, Alexander-HH said:

I can't speak for others here, but I would prefer a second model with a fast 40mm lens. I believe this would be a nice option for people finding 28mm too wide, not hurt M sales because this focal length is not covered within the M system - and still work well as a stand-alone camera (which is how I see the Q).

Alexander

40mm was the normal for higher end fixed lens compacts in the film days, before the plastic and zoom 1990s  Rollei 35s , Leica CM , Olympus 35RD, Canon QL17 etc. yet there are no equivalent offerings today 😞 a market gap that needs to be filled to compete with the computationally induced iphone AI bokeh.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I would prefer

Chris

I think Leica should make an 11"x14" format Q2 with leather bellows and a 3mm to 600mm f0.95 APO zoom lens, waterproof to 300 meters like my Rolex Submariner.

And it should be priced at $99.95 USD.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I think Leica should make an 11"x14" format Q2 with leather bellows and a 3mm to 600mm f0.95 APO zoom lens, waterproof to 300 meters like my Rolex Submariner.

And it should be priced at $99.95 USD.

Yes, then finally everyone should be happy. 😄

• Like 1

a 28mm compact has meaning cause of the versatility it offers.

A 75mm is on the opposite side. `I don't think a lot of people would pay 5K to restrict themselves at these lengths. You talk for a two camera system...

Why not have a body with two lenses instead. Less weight overall.

Because its much easier to swap between two bodies with lenses already attached (and built, refined and tuned specifically for those bodies) than to swap lenses, introducing dust, then have to swap back. Back to my original post, it is brilliant having two cameras set up ready to go and not have to change lenses.

• Like 1

I didn't read your opening post carefully enough the first time, but now I understand what you meant, and the idea begins to make sense. I have also photographed in weddings with two similar (Canon) bodies and a 35 and 85 mm lens, and it worked great!

But a 75mm Q as a complementary camera is a very narrow concept.

• Like 1