What cheap/affordable vintage Leica M mount lens to get?

darkinners

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have couple of the the Leica modern ASPH lens, the usual suspects. (Noc 0.95/50lux ASPH/ APO50Cron / 35FLE ASPH)

And some other third party CV lens (35 Ultron/ 50 1.2 /75 1.5)

While they are all amazing lens and I love them all but they all look really modern, clean, sharp, crisp, high contrast 

I plan to add some Leica character lenses into my arsenal but don't want to break the bank, because those will be use in some occasion type of lens 

It can be 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, I don't care about how fast the lens, it can be f/3.4, f/5.6 or even F8, no problem. Looking to spend 1,000 - 1,500 or less for 1 lens 

It has to be native M mount, I am not interested in LTM lens at the moment. 

Any lens you guys can recommend that can fit the above requirements for me to look into? I mainly looking for the Leica magic and special character, it can be unsharp or low contrast, single coat or no coat, no problem on my end.

Much appreciate and thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, darkinners said:

I have couple of the the Leica modern ASPH lens, the usual suspects. (Noc 0.95/50lux ASPH/ APO50Cron / 35FLE ASPH)

And some other third party CV lens (35 Ultron/ 50 1.2 /75 1.5)

While they are all amazing lens and I love them all but they all look really modern, clean, sharp, crisp, high contrast 

I plan to add some Leica character lenses into my arsenal but don't want to break the bank, because those will be use in some occasion type of lens 

It can be 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, I don't care about how fast the lens, it can be f/3.4, f/5.6 or even F8, no problem. Looking to spend 1,000 - 1,500 or less for 1 lens 

It has to be native M mount, I am not interested in LTM lens at the moment. 

Any lens you guys can recommend that can fit the above requirements for me to look into? I mainly looking for the Leica magic and special character, it can be unsharp or low contrast, single coat or no coat, no problem on my end.

Much appreciate and thanks in advance!

One of my favourite lenses on Leica M cameras is the 50mm collapsible f2.8 Elmar, (latest version).  It's delivers outstanding quality without being clinical. Easily available for under $1, 000-  Leica ELMAR-M 50mm f/2.8

The 50mm f2 Summicron (1979 onwards version) is another excellent lens, available between $1, 000- to $1, 500- While not vintage, but certainly less modern, IMO these are worth considering.

Edited by michali
  • Like 2

For which camera? (the viewfinder or other details can narrow which focal lengths will make most sense).

But as a start, the 35 Summaron f/2.8 and 50mm Summicron collapsible and 50 Elmar collapsibles are often pretty inexpensive, and while not really low resolution, are gentle in contrast (older coatings as well as older designs, and sometimes just age). The 28 Elmarit version II was the weakest in that focal length wide-open (being something of a rushed design to allow metering with the Leica M5, and Leica's first venture into a retrofocus M lens) - soon (by Leica standards) replaced with the v. III.

But the problem you face is that by the time the M-mount came along (1954), lens design was really surpisingly good, given the advances achieved during WW2, and the growing pressure from Canon and Nikon and Zeiss lenses. If you must have a lens in native M-mount, there are not a lot of real "dogs." Lower contrast, yes.

About the only exotically characterful lens 1) made by Leitz, and 2) native in M-Mount, was the 5cm Summarit f/1.5: a retread of the 1930-40s Xenons with better coatings. Later replaced by the Summiluxes. Those are quite "dreamy" at the larger apertures. And often had very soft coating, whose "character" may have been further enhanced by scratches or cleaning marks.

And even then I expect I'll get some argument with that characterization..... ;)

Be aware when shopping that it came in both M and screw mounts.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 4

I should add that the original 35mm Summilux f/1.4 also has a lot of dreamy character at f/1.4.

But that character is heavily sought-after, (and it is very sharp stopped down) so it is in no way inexpensive any more. Usually well north of $US 2200 these days (and some approaching 4x that price!)

• Like 2

Summaron 35mm f2.8 (I've no experience of the f3.5) is one of those Leica lenses that would have to be prised out of my cold dead hands. Character and beauty in abundance.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's an example of how well these older lenses perform even with modern day sensors.

My 59 year old 1961 50mm Summicron on the SL2 (please click on the image for better res.)

Edited by michali
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, michali said:

One of my favourite lenses on Leica M cameras is the 50mm collapsible f2.8 Elmar, (latest version).  It's delivers outstanding quality without being clinical. Easily available for under $1, 000-  Leica ELMAR-M 50mm f/2.8

The 50mm f2 Summicron (1979 onwards version) is another excellent lens, available between $1, 000- to $1, 500- While not vintage, but certainly less modern, IMO these are worth considering.

Ideally I want the lens to compatible to the digital M(M10-R, M10-P ) as well, so collapsible should be my last consideration, I am not totally reject the idea to get the DR/Collapse lens if they are cheap enough, I might just buy them for the film camera only (MP and coming in M2) 

The 50cron you mention is that the Rigid? If so yes this is totally one of the top contender, it's cheap enough and very easy to find one locally. Though, do you know any optical difference between the early and late version? Earlier version if I remember correctly, it has the infinitely lock. 

2 hours ago, adan said:

I should add that the original 35mm Summilux f/1.4 also has a lot of dreamy character at f/1.4.

But that character is heavily sought-after, (and it is very sharp stopped down) so it is in no way inexpensive any more. Usually well north of $US 2200 these days (and some approaching 4x that price!)

First 35Lux as in Steel Rim? Those price are skyrocketed this year, I really want to get one but the used price even for Canada version is approaching 5,000 a pop now, Germany version is even more expensive, I remember it used to be roughly 3,000 2 years ago. 

I am using M10-P, M10-R, MP Film and have an M2 coming in. Ideally I want to use the lens on both film and digital but if the lens is really cheap, I can live with Film camera only. 

38mm Summaron seems a very good choice, easy to find and still able to find one for less than 1,300 if I look hard enough. Thanks man!

And the 5cm 1.5 is a really good call, I totally forgot this one exist, as well as the old Voigtlander 50 1.5 Nokton. I will put these into consideration as well.

2 hours ago, Charles Morgan said:

Summaron 35mm f2.8 (I've no experience of the f3.5) is one of those Leica lenses that would have to be prised out of my cold dead hands. Character and beauty in abundance.

It looks really nice! Thank you for the suggestion, yes I think I am very likely to get the 35mm Summaron. 

29 minutes ago, darkinners said:

........The 50cron you mention is that the Rigid? If so yes this is totally one of the top contender, it's cheap enough and very easy to find one locally. Though, do you know any optical difference between the early and late version? Earlier version if I remember correctly, it has the infinitely lock. ..............

Yes it's the rigid.  Have a look here:  LEICA SUMMICRON 50mm Guide

• Like 1

Lately, I use with my digital M, some older LTM lenses.

They are "lovely" not the sharpest or "whatever-modern-lenses-can offer", but some flaws/character to know and learn to use (and to like/love).

In my view, only experiences can answer if those old lenses can do in one's style of pics.

Each old lens IS different from the other one.

Plenty of examples to begin with, here ...

Sometimes, lens of the day is the best lens, whichever one,

like here, I don't remember which was the lens used,

but old Summicron/Summilux non-asph on Kodachrome

sometimes, modern asph. lens more 'perfect' is a must,

here on M-D (typ 262) Summilux-M 35mm asph. (only lens which I used that day)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

My recommendation would be the 40mm summicron C - I love its gentle sharpness. Costs much less than the 35mm summaron, which I also have but don't rate as highly. Would also second Andy's recommendation of the 50mm summarit f1.5. Its 'character' can be too much for some wide open but it gives some unique shots and is perfectly respectable stopped down a little.

• Like 1

Leica + vintage + cheap = hard to find ;). The Elmar-M 50/2.8 is not vintage and has a modern rendering but the Elmar 50/2.8 (# 11112 or 11612 ) could be a good idea if you have nothing against collapsible lenses. Another vote for the Summicron-C 40/2 if you don't mind using it with 50mm or 35mm frame lines but it is not a low contrast lens. 

• Like 2

As mentioned by Arnaud above, I started the View through older glass thread to actually show what pictures taken with older lenses look like.  It's not restricted to Leica lenses (as long as a Leica camera was used to take the picture as per the forum's rules) and you might find yourself also drawn to some older non-Leica lenses, which are typically inexpensive.

My favourites are the older Sonnars, either Carl Zeiss Jena or Zeiss Opton, but I recommend you take a leisurely stroll through the thread to visually get an idea of what the lenses can offer.

For Leica lenses with 'character' I recommend the 35/1.4 Summilux pre-asph (version 2), the 50/2 Rigid Summicron, or the 35/2 Summicron pre-asph version 1 (8-element).  If you're looking for lots of 'character' then I recommend the 73/1.9 Hektor, which is a LTM lens but that only needs a 50/75 LTM-M adaptor that are widely available and not expensive.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

None of them are cheap anymore, but the Rigid 50mm Summicron and the 35mm Summaron f2.8 are definitely two of the top contenders among vintage lenses (regardless of price). 

Elmar 50mm f2.8 & the Elmar 50mm f3.5 Red Scale are also amazing lenses and cheap, plus super tiny and light; if you are using a digital camera the slower aperture is no issue at all, even on film it’s not an issue during daytime (which is when I am usually shooting). 

Other noteworthy lens (not a Leica though) is the rollei 40mm f2.8 sonnar, great rendering, super small, and still cheap-ish. 

• Like 1

The Collapsible Summicron will work with your M10, the collapsed rear element only goes 6mm behind the mount flange. This is a nice lens, not contrasty but fairly sharp (overused) it produces nice images. I do like the Dual Range Summicron, but it does have problems with digital Leicas. I have a 35mm Summilux V2, I have used it for close to 40 years and had no complaints, just had it CLAd and I am running my first roll. It was dreamy at f1.4 and had the sharp/lower contrast rendition on the rest of the f stops. 

• Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb darkinners:

I mainly looking for the Leica magic and special character, it can be unsharp or low contrast, single coat or no coat, no problem on my end.

I still use my Elmars 50mm and 90mm of the 1950er years. But Leica magic and special character, I don't know. 

The bottom of a Cola bottle would produce a picture too. Not tried by the way . :P 

And a Cola lens would not be accepted by the forum managers.

Edited by jankap
  • Like 2

It depends exactly what you are looking for. I have a 35/2 ASPH, designed in the late 90s, and a 50/1.4, with an optical design from the early 60s. Yes, the ASPH lens is particularly sharp, but shooting handheld at middle apertures the differences to my eyes (apart from focal length) are relatively subtle. Mandler knew what he was doing, and there's a reason why the Summilux formula was kept until 2004. So for a real vintage look I'd suggest going back a bit further. The M-mount limits you a bit, excluding various third party options and interesting Leitz lenses like the Summar and Summitar. The screwmount adapters, incidentally, work very well, so much so that some of the early M lenses were simply LTM lenses with adapters locked in place at the factory. But if you are set on a lens with a fixed M-mount, then I'd suggest one of the older designs that continued into the M era, like the Summaron or the Elmar. The 50mm Elmar is readily available in various versions - screwmount f/3.5 versions like mine are the most plentiful, M-mount f/3.5 versions are rather uncommon, but M-mount f/2.8 versions from the 50s and 60s are easy to find. I can't guarantee you'll get magical results, and you'll probably want to stop down a bit if you get the f/2.8 version (a bit of a stretch for the original Elmar design), but the look will be quite different to what you are used to in an interesting way.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 1

I recently purchased a 3f and it came with a collapsible 50 Summicron which had been CLA'ed by DAG.  I like the results I am getting as it seems a bit softer (not less sharp) then the current version.  I am seeing prices of $600-700.  Also in a conversation with Sherry a few years ago, she strongly recommended the 50f3.5 Elmar as a wonderful lens for those looking for a classic rendering.  Don't have any experience with it but I am sure Sherry does.

• Like 1