Any users who swapped M246 for M10M (maybe use both)

mmradman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please share your experience. Igonoring body size and EVF and concentrating on Sensor Output and to some degree OVF are you getting more photographic satisfaction from M10M compared to earlier M246? 

edit - Merry Christmas all.

Edited by mmradman

I was on several lists to get a M10M Wetzlar version.  With the pandemic and delays, I figured I was never going to see one.  So, I ended up saving some money and buying a M246 in mint condition from Leica Store Miami.  It is a really nice camera and I like it a lot.  After having it for about 8 weeks, Josh sent me a note asking if I was still interested in a Wetzlar version M10M.

So, for the last month, I’ve been testing them side by side.  I really like the higher resolution, the workable files, the body feels more natural in my hands, the dynamic range and just the overall look of the files.  The one thing I like about the 246 is less vignetting in the corners.

Its been a tough decision, but the M246 will be up for sale next week.

I hope this helps,

Rick

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, mmradman said:

... are you getting more photographic satisfaction from M10M compared to earlier M246? 

The M10 is my first camera in 45 years where ISO has literally vanished in the equation aperture, speed, sensor or film sensitivity.  Set ISO to auto with double focal length and unless you need a flashlight to find your way in the dark the M10M will produce nice virtually noise free pictures.  Use aperture not to control light but control your creativity, don't bother about the speed and camera shake, it will be at least double your focal length end forget ISO.

This is to me the biggest difference between the M10M and the M246 and by extend all the other camera's I used in the past. Never was a fan of auto iso. On the M10M however not a single picture I took was with a preselected ISO setting.  

Another difference : black recovery is at least half a stop better.  My exposure compensation is set standard to -1.

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stef63 said:

The M10 is my first camera in 45 years where ISO has literally vanished in the equation aperture, speed, sensor or film sensitivity.  Set ISO to auto with double focal length and unless you need a flashlight to find your way in the dark the M10M will produce nice virtually noise free pictures.  Use aperture not to control light but control your creativity, don't bother about the speed and camera shake, it will be at least double your focal length end forget ISO.

This is to me the biggest difference between the M10M and the M246 and by extend all the other camera's I used in the past. Never was a fan of auto iso. On the M10M however not a single picture I took was with a preselected ISO setting.  

Another difference : black recovery is at least half a stop better.  My exposure compensation is set standard to -1.

In your opinion what would you say is upper ISO limit on M246 at which it is left behind by M10M?

I can see noise differences as low as ISO 800 in my normal sized prints.  But, to answer your question, I strived to limit the 246 to below 6400 or 12,500 in a pinch.  With the M10M, I’m comfortable using up to 25,000 and ISO 50,000 in a pinch.

Similar to other findings, banding becomes a bigger concern than noise at those higher limits on the 246 but not the M10M.

Edited by soccerrick10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mmradman said:

In your opinion what would you say is upper ISO limit on M246 at which it is left behind by M10M?

On the original Monochrom and with the 246 I would choose 10k as a max.  And only after pre-setting the ISO myself to 10k knowing the pictures will show noise, although in most cases a nice grain that reminds film (although not the same as b&w film).  On the M10M I have Auto ISO setup to max of 20k.  If light conditions require this high ISO I'm comfortable to let the M10M use it and in the mean time preserving 1/(2f) shutter speed.  I have not a steady hand 😞 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, soccerrick10 said:

I can see noise differences as low as ISO 800 in my normal sized prints.  But, to answer your question, I strived to limit the 246 to below 6400 or 12,500 in a pinch.  With the M10M, I’m comfortable using up to 25,000 and ISO 50,000 in a pinch.

Similar to other findings, banding becomes a bigger concern than noise at those higher limits on the 246 but not the M10M.

Pretty much my experience with M246, noise is non issue, banding is. Safe ISO is 6400 plus careful exposure, it will take 12,500 but I need extra careful with exposure not to provoke banding, at times I used auto ISO with +0.3 compensation.

As this is only hobby as much I would love to change for M10M my key concern with it is apart from improved sensor which is after all generational thing is high price and frankly not better camera than the M246.

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks Jeff, great link, also saw it previously but forgot about it.

My take on reflection and comparing “like for like” there is a little issue of downsizing M10M to 24Mp but really difficult to see any major difference up to M246 top ISO of 25000.  From few prints I made with M246 high iso files up to A4 size I could not see any distracting grain, for future printing up to A3 which would be my maximum size I could not envisage any problems.  The trick is to achieve correct exposure and use existing camera within its capabilities rather than push it towards the limit.  Also be careful at high ISO not to try recover details in shadows as that will definitely induce banding.

Note; For those not familiar with A4 and A3 they are roughly 8*12 and 12*16 inches.