Beginner - where to start with Leica...

Loomis77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there!

I am a newish photographer who has a Pentax DSLR and a Leica D-Lux 7 (‘Not a proper Leica” I hear you say 😉) both of which I enjoy using. However, I have always wanted a Leica (primarily because of its stellar name and quality).  However, I just don’t know where to start. Whilst I love the idea of film, I am not sure I will get round to developing, etc. and, therefore, am probably looking for a digital model. I tend to prefer prime lenses but, again, not quite sure where to start! I am aware of the costs involved in starting in the Leica system and that is why I am asking you experienced folk what may be the best bet and where to look for said best bet.

Many thanks in advance all.

Stay safe and a happy Christmas!

Ben 

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum! I was in s similar position to you not so long ago. What I did was buy a non Leica film rangefinder (an Olympus 35sp) to see if I liked shooting film and using an RF. I liked both but didn't have the time to develop and scan. I went into Leica Store Manchester and they let me lose with an M9 (very trusting!!) I loved it. If you can find one with the new corrosion proof sensor that might be a good choice but bear in mind they've been around a while now. 

Lenswise I would go for a 35/50mm and as fast as you can afford. I went for a 50mm summarit f2.5 but later traded up to a 50mm Cron so bear in mind if you get the bug you might end up upgrading!! 

See if someone will let you borrow one maybe. Look through your exit data and see what focal length you use most. Have fun! They're amazing cameras.

Morning Robert

Many thanks for your very helpful reply: much appreciated. I used to have a Zorki 4K and a Voigtlander Vito B which are RFs (albeit not the most sophisticated) and liked them quite a bit but traded them for another camera (GAS!). I have read a lot about the M9 so it is good to eyes you singing its praises. I’ll have a further look into it and see if I can find someone as trusting as Leica Manchester...probably not the time right now with the pandemic raging.

Many thanks again and take care.

Ben