Visoflex - Really Worth it?

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

If you have lived without it for so long, it's likely not worth for YOU.

I also find not worth it because I would go to SL or CL when I need EVF.  M is really meant OVF. 

When I had the T, I can't work without the VISOFLEX EVF. It costed about the same as the T body, and it is definitely worth it.      

I have a lot of DSLR (Nikon) och also mirror less cameras (Fuji and Panasonic, not Leica), but still purchased an M camera to specifically get the RF experience. I think the RF experience is the essence of the M camera and it's slow and zen like type of photography. But even with all my cameras (perhaps 12), and even if I prefer to normally use the RF focus, I still benefit in some special cases to be able to use the Visoflex EVF on M camera.

Originally I thought I would get an extra OVF for my M (mainly to improve 25mm framing); but after some good input from other Leica users, I reflected and changed my mind to consider purchasing the old (even worse) EVF2 for my 240 camera. It is still a very old and poor EVF (like others have mentioned Olympus had deprecated their EVF they have branded for Leica, before Leica started to sell it). But after using it myself on my M 240, I have started to appreciate the EVF for more than just framing my 25 mm lens better. It is absolutely not necessary (people make great shots on M cameras without EVF), but I now think it is still a very useful tool for most M users to consider having as a tool and option.

It of course depends on budget and price, but I got mine used (but in mint condition) for around €210 on eBay. Which is not much more than I would have to spend for an optical OVF, and even if it is really slow and old tech (like most digitals things around M cameras usually are), it is still find it good enough for the purpose and a very useful tool.

7 hours ago, martinot said:

I have a lot of DSLR (Nikon) och also mirror less cameras (Fuji and Panasonic, not Leica), but still purchased an M camera to specifically get the RF experience. I think the RF experience is the essence of the M camera and it's slow and zen like type of photography. But even with all my cameras (perhaps 12), and even if I prefer to normally use the RF focus, I still benefit in some special cases to be able to use the Visoflex EVF on M camera.

Originally I thought I would get an extra OVF for my M (mainly to improve 25mm framing); but after some good input from other Leica users, I reflected and changed my mind to consider purchasing the old (even worse) EVF2 for my 240 camera. It is still a very old and poor EVF (like others have mentioned Olympus had deprecated their EVF they have branded for Leica, before Leica started to sell it). But after using it myself on my M 240, I have started to appreciate the EVF for more than just framing my 25 mm lens better. It is absolutely not necessary (people make great shots on M cameras without EVF), but I now think it is still a very useful tool for most M users to consider having as a tool and option.

It of course depends on budget and price, but I got mine used (but in mint condition) for around €210 on eBay. Which is not much more than I would have to spend for an optical OVF, and even if it is really slow and old tech (like most digitals things around M cameras usually are), it is still find it good enough for the purpose and a very useful tool.

I have ZM 25mm too. The M OVF works superior, just ignore the frame line, use the whole OVF. The OVF focuses much faster than EVF. No need the focus peaking enlargement. If you are not there yet, do some little practice. 

18 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

I have ZM 25mm too. The M OVF works superior, just ignore the frame line, use the whole OVF. The OVF focuses much faster than EVF. No need the focus peaking enlargement. If you are not there yet, do some little practice. 

Yes, that is what I like with the 25. I initially got the EVF mainly for the 25, but after that I found out that it is a great tool for other uses. Perfect if you want to tilt the VF when taking shoots from ground level, in some cases to  focus when it is really dark, and perfect when using my ZM 50/1,4 (which has quite pronounced focus shift).

Normally I do not use the EVF for 95% or more of my photos. They are all taken with RF. That is after all the main reason for me to use an M camera to enjoy the RF focusing (but for the 5% or less, it is a great option to have IMO).