Visoflex - Really Worth it?

erniethemilk

I bought a used Visoflex for my M10 on eBay for $425 in great condition and sold it 1 month later. I only have 35mm and 50mm lenses. I found the image of the 2.4MB viewfinder unpleasant to view and it slowed down the M10.  I actually prefer to use the LCD monitor which has only a 1,036,800 dots display. Another reason I sold the Visoflex was I felt the A10 frame lines were more than adequate for my needs plus I did not want to carry an attachment that I would seldom use.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:53 AM, Harvard Kiwi said:

For those wondering whether or not to purchase a Visoflex in the future:

Getting a Visoflex really comes down to your preferences, what you like to shoot, and what you are shooting with. Those that say it isn't worth it are correct. Those that say it is worth it are also correct. That's because we have different preferences and needs, many of which have been outlined in this thread. 

I have the Visoflex 020 and my view of some of the pros and cons are as follows:

+ it's the only EVF that will work on the M10 range of cameras. The older M240 ones do not.

+ tiltable which allows me to sometimes take sneaky street shots like a creep

+ far better than the M240 EVF which was shared with Olympus cameras (the Olympus branded ones will work on the M240 and are cheaper if you don't mind the Oly logo)

+ can allow for faster focus (for some people, obviously excluding zone focusing which is instant)

+ can be better when focusing in low light where the RF can be too dark. With the Visoflex just point at your subject, adjust your focus when it turns red, and click the shutter

+ gives you an idea of what the image will look like in terms of composition and exposure

+ can display some additional info (which I personally don't like)

+ has a GPS component for geolocation recording of your shots

+ can assist with gaining critical focus on longer focal length lenses or fast lenses wide open with a shallow depth of field

+ allows you to compose properly with lenses wider than 28mm

+ I believe these are designed specifically for Leica and not just an adapted generic version with a Leica logo like the previous version

+ large eyepiece for those of us that wear glasses

+ decent build quality but not as good as an M body or lenses (it's mostly plastic)

+ kind of reminds me of an old submarine periscope

+ the Visoflex's hotshoe mount cover has a little slot for the M10's hot shoe cover to slide in. This keeps them together and helps prevent losing it. It also has a nice little leather/pleather pouch (I haven't really looked at it in detail but I think it's nice)

- detracts from the rangefinder feel which is what attracted me to the M system

- while it isn't ugly, I don't feel its form compliments the M cameras from an aesthetic perspective. Makes your beautiful M look like a Snork from a certain angle

- uses the hot shoe preventing use of other accessories such as flash or thumb grip (I use a Thumbie to get around this and highly recommend them)

- increases battery drain. I wish I could turn off the GPS functionality as that may help conserve battery life. 

- blacks out between shots which can be a hindrance with moving subjects and shooting in burst modes

- while better than the M240 evf, it isn't as good as some other EVFs used by other systems

- expensive

For me personally, I am glad I bought a Visoflex 020 as I have a genuine need for it at times with my 50mm f1.2 wide open, my 90mm and for my low-light night street shots.

Do I use it all the time? Certainly not.

Do I prefer having it on my camera? It depends on whether it is a tool that I need at the time. It only goes on when I need it.

Would I recommend it to others? Certainly, if you would benefit from any of the pros I listed above enough to justify the price.

I bought mine used and it works great! No regerts!

Very good list and I concur. Also enable focussing with legacy non-rangefinder lenses with an adaptor mount. I have about 15 nice Olympus OM lenses. Its way way better than the M240 as it takes the shot pretty instantly and doesn't go through a series of clunks and bangs over about a minute before it takes the shot......

On 12/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, erniethemilk said:

I'm wondering if the Visoflex is 'really' worth the cost of them?

I use LV a lot on my M10-P when out with my tripod when I'm out shooting woodland and forest stuff.  I use a 35mm, 50mm and I'm thinking next year I'd like a 28mm & 75/90, but given the amount of time I'm looking at the back of the screen, I was wondering if the Visoflex would serve a purpose as opposed to constantly looking at the back of the camera and focussing off that. 

I think it is a good optional accessory to use in some cases. Perfect for either very wide lenses, or tele lenses. Also great if you really want to check focus in some cases, with for example lenses with focus breathing. Also good to check that the adjustment on the cameras range finder mechanism is correct.

So even if I normally prefer to focus my M camera with RF (which is why I use an M camera in the first place), it is a tool I always have with me in my camera bag ready to be used when needed.

I would definitely recommend all M users to get one as a good thing to have in the tool box (or camera bag).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, martinot said:

I would definitely recommend all M users to get one as a good thing to have in the tool box (or camera bag).

All?  My M lenses are limited to 28/35/50, none faster than f1.4 or difficult to focus with the RF. And if I need to check RF calibration, that requires a tripod, and LV on the rear screen suffices.  The thumb grip already occupies my hot shoe. And if I want to use wider or longer lenses, or enjoy a great EVF experience, which the M can’t offer, that’s why I bought the SL2 system.  So thanks, but I’ll save the money and free up space in my camera bag (which I rarely carry when shooting anyway). 

Jeff

I only have  25/35/50 lenses, but still find it useful in some cases with a separate EVF. With lenses with focus breathing it is perfect compliment. In dark conditions it can also be helpful. Most of us have cameras and lenses for a lot of money. A better used EVF, for both M 240 and M10, can be had for around €200 if you are patient. Quite a small insignificant cost in the bigger picture. I do not use it regularly, but in the rare cases I need it, it is a great tool to have in the box/bag. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, martinot said:

I only have  25/35/50 lenses, but still find it useful in some cases with a separate EVF. With lenses with focus breathing it is perfect compliment. In dark conditions it can also be helpful. Most of us have cameras and lenses for a lot of money. A better used EVF, for both M 240 and M10, can be had for around €200 if you are patient. Quite a small insignificant cost in the bigger picture. I do not use it regularly, but in the rare cases I need it, it is a great tool to have in the box/bag. 

I totally get it, but you recommend everyone do the same.  I explained why I don’t, and have managed just fine since the 80’s without using a Visoflex, original or electronic.  Cost has nothing to do with my decision, nor do I use focal lengths without visible frame lines (e.g., your 25).  I encourage others to decide based on their own needs and preferences.

Jeff

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I totally get it, but you recommend everyone do the same.  I explained why I don’t, and have managed just fine since the 80’s without using a Visoflex, original or electronic.  Cost has nothing to do with my decision, nor do I use focal lengths without visible frame lines (e.g., your 25).  I encourage others to decide based on their own needs and preferences.

Jeff

Of course. I think it is a great tool to have or consider for potentially almost all M digital users, but that is just one personal opinion by me. I respect other opinions in the matter, including yours. Everyone should think and decide for themselves.

That said I totally agree that it is absolutely not necessary (just a good option, in some certain situations, IMO).

People have been taking great shoots with M cameras and (only) RF focus for decades. That has not changed with new options and tools (such as the Leica Visoflex).

I think RF is the real essence of photographing with an M camera. No doubt about that from me (without RF I would have never bought an M camera in the first place).

5 minutes ago, martinot said:

People have been taking great shoots with M cameras and (only) RF focus for decades. That has not changed with new options and tools (such as the Leica Visoflex).

To be clear, the Visoflex has been an RF option for many decades. Leica execs sometimes describe the current EVF option as the ‘Electronic VisoFlex’ rather then Electronic ViewFinder. Viewing choices are nothing new for long time M users, just far more convenient and user friendly.  
https://www.cameraquest.com/LMVisoflex.htm

Jeff

17 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

To be clear, the Visoflex has been an RF option for many decades. Leica execs sometimes describe the current EVF option as the ‘Electronic VisoFlex’ rather then Electronic ViewFinder. Viewing choices are nothing new for long time M users, just far more convenient and user friendly.  
https://www.cameraquest.com/LMVisoflex.htm

Jeff

I know. I have been close to buy a Zeiss 25/28 mm veiwfinder version of the optical Leica Visoflex (especially with my 25 mm Biogon), but went with a Leica EVF instead (for reasons discussed before).

As a matter of fact, after posting the message, I just reflected myself if I should change my sentence to Leica electronic Visoflex or such (but after some quick consideration I decided not to update my post, due to that I thought it was extremely obvious and would absolutely not risk being misunderstood). 

Edited by martinot

Visoflex can be improved, it has been out for many years.

It is still a good tool to have for challenging situation. I keep it in the pocket and take it out when need it.  Low angle shooting, macro, wide angle frames, perspective correction, candle light shooting, and addition of GPS tagging .

Edited by Photoworks
  • Like 2

Always in the bag with my M240... but I hate to use LCD for taking... useful for 135 (and mandatory over, of course...) and also for 28 and wider.  The  M240's one is not so top tech... and the better EVF is the main reason for my desire to switch to M10... which I have resisted to, till now.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

1 minute ago, martinot said:

It is rumored that the M11 will get a new better Visoflex, EVF (to not confuse some with the old OVF). Might be worth to wait for the M11 if your not in a hurry to change.

It’s rumored to be compatible with the M10 platform, but Leica Rumors site has been less than trustworthy.

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

It’s rumored to be compatible with the M10 platform, but Leica Rumors site has been less than trustworthy.

Jeff

Yes, read that as well. I think it is great and better proposition if they make it backwards compatible, but just like you say, I would not count on it if Leica Rumors is the only source.

Also worth remembering that M240 was only compatible with Olympus EVF2 which was already obsolete at launch as at that time there was already improved Olympus EVF4. 

I would believe M10 EVF backward compatibility only when M11 and native EVF are actually launched and compatibility put to the successful test.

1 hour ago, astrostl said:

What's the specific LeicaRumors skepticism? I've tracked them for years and they've seemed on-the-money to me.

You’ve been sleeping, apparently.  Search the forum for the excitement (later disappointment and laughter) surrounding the rumor of the C/M. They (Peter) not only got it wrong, but doubled down on it over time. Leica publicly denied it.  Then they were sure that the SL2 would come out before the first Panasonic L mount body in late 2018 (wrong), then confidently predicted release mid 2019,  eventually off base by more than a full year. There’s been more. Prior to that, beginning with the M9, their track record was much better.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:55 AM, erniethemilk said:

I'm wondering if the Visoflex is 'really' worth the cost of them?

I use LV a lot on my M10-P when out with my tripod when I'm out shooting woodland and forest stuff.  I use a 35mm, 50mm and I'm thinking next year I'd like a 28mm & 75/90, but given the amount of time I'm looking at the back of the screen, I was wondering if the Visoflex would serve a purpose as opposed to constantly looking at the back of the camera and focussing off that. 

If you have lived without it for so long, it's likely not worth for YOU.

I also find not worth it because I would go to SL or CL when I need EVF.  M is really meant OVF. 

When I had the T, I can't work without the VISOFLEX EVF. It costed about the same as the T body, and it is definitely worth it.