Visoflex - Really Worth it?

erniethemilk

The viso is ok and the only solution as of now. It’s not bad, and far better than the Viso for M240, but it is of course not an SL...

That said, I use my Viso quite a lot for Tele-lenses, so my 80-200, 180, 100 etc. and for these lenses it works just great! Generally I find EVF great for Tele and not so great for wides. For 28-50 the rangefinder is extremely good. For 15-24 I use the rangefinder for focusing (way better than any EVF) and the rear display for framing. For wide angle landscape shots I just use the rear display, focus set far and stepped down a bit. For macro I mostly use the display but the EVF with it’s tilting can sometimes be very useful.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:59 AM, erniethemilk said:

Managed to find an excellent used condition Visoflex within the acceptable budget range I was prepared to pay from a seller on Amazon of all places.

Will have to wait until next week to get it, so looking forward to seeing how I get on with it.

Good that you found an excellent used copy. I am happy with mine. I don't use it much, but small enough to carry along in the bag if I need it. I also like the GPS in this thing. Works very well/consistent on my M10 for where I live. As others have mentioned the IQ is just "okay" compared to today's EVFs, but it does what it is supposed to do. 

• Like 1

I've been shooting M for a couple years san Visoflex, got one over the holidays and am pleasantly surprised.  For on the spot imaging, probably less convenient, but for landscapes, I am appreciating the additional compositional value:  The tilt, seeing DoF, not having to squit at the primary LCD in the back, more clearly seeing the effect of grad density filters as I adjust, etc...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Miranda said:

I've been shooting M for a couple years san Visoflex, got one over the holidays and am pleasantly surprised.  For on the spot imaging, probably less convenient, but for landscapes, I am appreciating the additional compositional value:  The tilt, seeing DoF, not having to squit at the primary LCD in the back, more clearly seeing the effect of grad density filters as I adjust, etc...

Having arrived last week I’d echo your sentiments. I’m pretty pleased with it. Shooting in sunny conditions it definitely beats looking at the back of the screen. 

For my interest what brand of grad filters are you using?  

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, Steven said:

Only if im really really going out for the sole purpose of taking street photos. 

Why only for street? The evf is laggy from experience and is counter productive for fast street work unless the subject matter is street portraits or critical focus of shallow dof subjects.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, cboy said:

Why only for street? The evf is laggy from experience and is counter productive for fast street work unless the subject matter is street portraits or critical focus of shallow dof subjects.

I very respectfully disagree. Street photography came from the film era and as laggy is the evf is it is still as fast, or faster, than winding film either with the film advance lever or motor winder. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I very respectfully disagree. Street photography came from the film era and as laggy is the evf is it is still as fast, or faster, than winding film either with the film advance lever or motor winder. 

That is shot-to-shot lag, not taking the shot lag.

16 minutes ago, astrostl said:

Not for the first shot of a given moment, which may well be the only one when dealing with active life.

The first shot of a given moment there wouldn’t be a lag as the evf would be normally on.

7 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

The first shot of a given moment there wouldn’t be a lag as the evf would be normally on.

I find it much faster to raise the RF than a laggy EVF to my eye to focus, and the time from the shutter being pressed to the image being taken is objectively and materially slower in Live View (EVF or not) than it is when using the RF. I would personally specifically avoid EVF usage in street shooting for these reasons.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, astrostl said:

I find it much faster to raise the RF than a laggy EVF to my eye to focus, and the time from the shutter being pressed to the image being taken is objectively and materially slower in Live View (EVF or not) than it is when using the RF. I would personally specifically avoid EVF usage in street shooting for these reasons.

As it should be. 

7 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

Having arrived last week I’d echo your sentiments. I’m pretty pleased with it. Shooting in sunny conditions it definitely beats looking at the back of the screen. 

For my interest what brand of grad filters are you using?  

Hi, For years I have used Singh Ray Galen Rowell 3 stop hard edge square filters.  With newer cameras with higher dynamic range, am now using two stop hard edge....

• Like 1

Well the Visoflex I picked up a week or so ago has been put through it’s paces a little more for the kind of thing I like to photograph and I’m really happy with it. It definitely helps with composition out in the field over using the back of the screen in live view.  

The only real downside is it drains the battery far more than just using the rear screen. Pays to have a spare battery tucked away if your out for the day with the Visoflex being used extensively. 

Edited by erniethemilk

I like the Visoflex for use on my M10 and M10-R. However, I also use the Leica thumb grip which has to be removed to use the Visoflex. 

I find the operation of the Visoflex sluggish, but it does the job. Have the GPS data is nice too, but have the camera in live view all of the time to use the Visoflex does kill the battery life. But I always carry and extra battery.

Since getting the SL2, I don't use the Visoflex very much. 

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

4 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Can you pair the SL2 EVF with the M10-R? 😁

Obviously not. But with the SL-2, I can finally nail focus with my Noctilux 50mm f/0.95.

Choice are a good thing. Keeps all the manufacturers on their toes.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• 4 months later...

For those wondering whether or not to purchase a Visoflex in the future:

Getting a Visoflex really comes down to your preferences, what you like to shoot, and what you are shooting with. Those that say it isn't worth it are correct. Those that say it is worth it are also correct. That's because we have different preferences and needs, many of which have been outlined in this thread. 

I have the Visoflex 020 and my view of some of the pros and cons are as follows:

+ it's the only EVF that will work on the M10 range of cameras. The older M240 ones do not.

+ tiltable which allows me to sometimes take sneaky street shots like a creep

+ far better than the M240 EVF which was shared with Olympus cameras (the Olympus branded ones will work on the M240 and are cheaper if you don't mind the Oly logo)

+ can allow for faster focus (for some people, obviously excluding zone focusing which is instant)

+ can be better when focusing in low light where the RF can be too dark. With the Visoflex just point at your subject, adjust your focus when it turns red, and click the shutter

+ gives you an idea of what the image will look like in terms of composition and exposure

+ can display some additional info (which I personally don't like)

+ has a GPS component for geolocation recording of your shots

+ can assist with gaining critical focus on longer focal length lenses or fast lenses wide open with a shallow depth of field

+ allows you to compose properly with lenses wider than 28mm

+ I believe these are designed specifically for Leica and not just an adapted generic version with a Leica logo like the previous version

+ large eyepiece for those of us that wear glasses

+ decent build quality but not as good as an M body or lenses (it's mostly plastic)

+ kind of reminds me of an old submarine periscope

+ the Visoflex's hotshoe mount cover has a little slot for the M10's hot shoe cover to slide in. This keeps them together and helps prevent losing it. It also has a nice little leather/pleather pouch (I haven't really looked at it in detail but I think it's nice)

- detracts from the rangefinder feel which is what attracted me to the M system

- while it isn't ugly, I don't feel its form compliments the M cameras from an aesthetic perspective. Makes your beautiful M look like a Snork from a certain angle

- uses the hot shoe preventing use of other accessories such as flash or thumb grip (I use a Thumbie to get around this and highly recommend them)

- increases battery drain. I wish I could turn off the GPS functionality as that may help conserve battery life. 

- blacks out between shots which can be a hindrance with moving subjects and shooting in burst modes

- while better than the M240 evf, it isn't as good as some other EVFs used by other systems

- expensive

For me personally, I am glad I bought a Visoflex 020 as I have a genuine need for it at times with my 50mm f1.2 wide open, my 90mm and for my low-light night street shots.

Do I use it all the time? Certainly not.

Do I prefer having it on my camera? It depends on whether it is a tool that I need at the time. It only goes on when I need it.

Would I recommend it to others? Certainly, if you would benefit from any of the pros I listed above enough to justify the price.

I bought mine used and it works great! No regerts!

• Like 1