Monochrom CCD shooting into low sun failure

perfect1964

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shot this today - 50mm summicron into the sun. 1/4000s @ f5.6 iso 320.

Very strange effect. Would anyone know why?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by perfect1964
  • Like 2

You shouldn't point your camera against "Man in Black" under the backlight of the sun, not even "Women in Black"...just kidding...^O^

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and all the best to your family.

I am curious about this phenomena as well.

Edited by Erato

In my years of Monochrom using, I've never had this kind of "failure".

Suggestions and questions :

- do you have other pics with same failures ?

- with the pic before this one, does it have this f. ?

- sometimes, when I use the 1/4000s on my multiple digital M, kind of weird things happened, like heavy underexposure or overexposure, black pic, etc. so

- I avoid 1/4000s if possible or when I'm aware of (with Noctilux, 1/3000s is always fine when I need )

20 hours ago, Erato said:

You shouldn't point your camera against "Man in Black" under the backlight of the sun, not even "Women in Black"...just kidding...^O^

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and all the best to your family.

I am curious about this phenomena as well.

Maybe time to stop pointing cameras at people and stealing their souls. Seasons best to you and your family

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very strange, Obviously....

Was there anything above-centre outside frame which might have been flagging-off the central zone of the image? Wrist-strap hanging over / partially shading lens? Shop sign hiding sun?

It's curious, and possibly notable, that the slight angle-down-right of the lower edge of the shadow-area is exactly mirrored in the angle-up-right in the corresponding lower part of the image which does very strongly suggest it has something to do with the 'available light' situation at the time and almost certainly not a mechanical failure but I'm at a loss to say any more.

The snaps before and after; are they of the same neighbourhood and under similar lighting conditions? I can't help but feel it has something to do with either the exact physiological nature of where you were (in terms of buildings, street-signs etc...) or else a camera peripheral acting as an accidental 'flag' against the sun.

Weird!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Hello,

my guess is that in your image, the 'Black Reference Pixels' that sit just outside the frame are overexposed and provide the wrong reference value for weighting the brightness in the associated row  ( / or column in another case). This arrangement is very similar for the Kodak CCD KAF series in M8/M9. 

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, perfect1964 said:

I’m going to try and take another shot from the same position when it’s evenly lit for a comparison. The darkest central part of the image was almost into the low sun causing the shadow of the woman.

Weirdly, there was an asymmetry glow between the edges of the shading verse light portion.
And it looks similar to me on the first frame of the reversal or negative films. The difference is that the film only half-frame burned, but your picture is not.
Is there any chance that the shutter curtain mal-function occasionally? Or any factors that may lead to an algorithm miscalculation?

Maybe you're not supposed to there and spotting a woman who stepped out the stargate portal.

Edited by Erato

9 hours ago, perfect1964 said:

Thanks for the responses. Photos before after this shot all good. I think the suggestion that 1/4000s might be a problem makes sense but not sure why.

A shutter problem would be strange if it was not over the whole height of the image, this black strip is only half the height. So I go with the software theory from #8 and #9. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

The CCD used in the M Monochrome is in two halves, the error only occurs in one of them. For that reason- most likely a calibration error due to light shining in on the pixels used for the calibration.

Hi thank you for responding. Is the CCD divided in half in the normal landscape orientation? Hence the top half in the portrait orientation of the photo which is where the sun was.

1 hour ago, perfect1964 said:

Hi thank you for responding. Is the CCD divided in half in the normal landscape orientation? Hence the top half in the portrait orientation of the photo which is where the sun was.

Your photo illustrates the two CCD's used for the final product. Two (~) 18mm by 24mm CCD's used to make the 24x36 final product.

12 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Your photo illustrates the two CCD's used for the final product. Two (~) 18mm by 24mm CCD's used to make the 24x36 final product.

Hi that’s really helpful in understanding what happened. So the recording failure in strong low sun impacted the ‘right’ half.