Q2 Monochrom "stuck" bright white pixels

3 hours ago, nerdnomade said:

Did they comment the fact that other users got their (or a new) Q2M back and still got the same issue or even more white pixels afterwards?

unlikely they will make that statement anytime soon or at all - a possible admission of fault will not come out lightly.

- I doubt that returning to the store at this point will solve or overcome the issue in hand:  starting to believe that is either a "characteristic" of this camera (not really believe), or a embarrassing oversight of sorts.

You can live with, quit on it or hold on and demand a resolution - exchanging for a new one till an official explanation and solution is out will just lead to more frustration imo.

Contacting your local repair  Leica center is a good step. Emailing Leica HG (Headquarters) and voice your concerns and findings it's even better; just like icing and sprinkles...🍨

2 hours ago, reysotolongo said:

Hello,

I had this same problem with my two Leica Q2 units, and also above ISO 800. Leica changed my first unit, and I sold the second one. Never again with the Q2. I have no issues with the SL2 or the M10M.

I hope Leica can solve this problem.

Actually the M10M seems to have something "cooking" too - head up the specific forum as it has been mentioned

1 hour ago, Leica28 said:

How long did it take for Leica customer service to contact you in regard to sending back your camera?  

12/21/20 email (10am ET) to repair and technicalinfo @ leicacamerausa - automated reply same day; staff reply next day; a couple following emails to repair, were replied same day or next day

12/22/20 email to Leica HG -  received reply on the 29th; I replied that same day early morning and received reply within an hour (7am ET)

so, depends to where you send your email, but pandemic is causing havoc everywhere as we all know. Be patient and persistent 

Received today from Leica UK:

"The white pixels are defect pixels, it is something that indeed appears more often on a high res sensor like this. The camera automatically does a pixel refresh every 2 weeks. Normally it is ok then. I assume you have taken the images right in between 2 refreshment cycles. However, what we plan to do on the next firmware is to implement the opportunity for the customer to do the refresh by himself. This update is planned for spring 2021. It might not help in a very rare case of numerous dead pixels close to each other but this topic should be solved for most cases then.

Therefore there's nothing to worry about and the camera is not faulty."

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, fieldafield said:

"The white pixels are defect pixels, it is something that indeed appears more often on a high res sensor like this. The camera automatically does a pixel refresh every 2 weeks. Normally it is ok then. I assume you have taken the images right in between 2 refreshment cycles. However, what we plan to do on the next firmware is to implement the opportunity for the customer to do the refresh by himself. This update is planned for spring 2021. It might not help in a very rare case of numerous dead pixels close to each other but this topic should be solved for most cases then.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks a lot - still annoyed a bit that Leica is not making this announcement, but goes a bit in-line with I was told by the LeicacameraUSA's repair department - not as specific as you were told.

Not to mention that it should have been disclaimed from day 1 - I would be ok with it, and obviously would prefer the firmware diy implemented version; just like Olympus has at least in more recent cameras, a pixel mapping function.

Anyway - Now I am left sucking my thumb waiting for Leica in NJ  to send it back...but happier ( not related with thumb sucking mind you)

Edited by nwphil
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fieldafield said:

Fingers crossed!

Try setting the in-camera date ahead one month to see if it forces a refresh. Or if it needs to be exactly two weeks, then set it ahead 1 minute shy of two weeks.

Edited by hdmesa

11 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Try setting the in-camera date ahead one month to see if it forces a refresh. Or if it needs to be exactly two weeks, then set it ahead 1 minute shy of two weeks.

LOL - trying to get away easy, uh? That would be interesting if it works. The tech told me amount (undisclosed) of pictures, likely  he presumed would be taken in maybe a week or more. Maybe the system needs a time trigger along with a certain amount of actuations\sensor activation and some sort of computation  from it ( thinking about back frames for star photography) sort of thing.

Edited by nwphil

Has anyone noticed that the "stuck" pixels are now gone?

In recent shots I do not see these "stuck" pixels (Disclaimer: My sample pool is small at 5 shots only) and perhaps my Q2M has run the pixel refresh procedure. Fingers crossed that these do not return.