Leica alternatives to Fuji X100F

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have Leica SL2 and Fuji X100F that I both use almost on a daily basis, and I love both cameras. I use Fuji whenever I don't feel carrying a significantly larger SL2. And I generally care less about scratching or damaging my much less expensive Fuji. I wanted to upgrade it to X100V, but now I'm thinking even switching to another Leica, because I noticed there's a difference between my SL2 and Fuji photos, the colors are different, the feel is different and I can easily tell which is which. Both are great, but I want more consistency in my work, so I was thinking I should be maybe 100% Leica.

What do you think are the best alternatives to X100F/V, mainly in terms of portability. I like Q2, but it's significantly larger than Fuji. I also love M10, but it's significantly more expensive. Maybe CL, TL? I don't mind paying a bit more than Fuji, but I don't want to pay 5x more, because I have SL2 when I want absolutely the stunning Leica quality and experience. Oh, and also, it might be worth mentioning, I already own 4 SL lenses, but I don't mind having just a fixed lens like I have on my Fuji. After all, what I want from this camera the most is the portability.

So, 1) portability, 2) image quality (considering all Leicas has great IQ), 3) price. Let's say these are the priorities, in this order.

Edited by hirohhhh

I have a CL, SL2 (shortly to swap for SL2-S) and Sigma fp.

Whenever I want a camera to carry, it is the CL: if with just one lens, then it's the 35TL, if two then 11-23TL and 60TL. My go everywhere camera is actually my phone, but my CL is what most people would call a go-everywhere camera: holidays, travel, family and social.

The SL (now SL2, soon the SL2-S) is my camera for when I play at being a pro: portrait sessions, events, stage, music. I am doing an increasing amount of video, and that is what the Sigma is for (with Leica SL lenses). The rationale for the SL2-S is that it can support the Sigma fp for video as well. They both have major advantages over the other: the Sigma records direct via USB-C to a Samsung T5 SSD, which makes a very small static video package. The SL2-S has an EVF.

As you can guess, in your shoes I'd go for the CL. To my mind it is the modern equivalent of the Leica Barnack. No Leica M is really that small and light compared to other highly portable cameras (i.e. popular point and shoots) but the CL comes close. The similar interfaces helps with usability, and I will sometimes put the Summicron-SL 90 on the CL for a bit more reach. The big zooms, OTOH, feel ridiculous on the CL, especially the 90-280SL.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Q2

I am getting ready to sell my X100F.  I haven't used it since I got my Q2.

The Q2 is not too big or heavy for everyday carry IMHO.  But if it is for you the CL and 23mm Summicron would be a good alternative, as @oldwino observed above.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Concerning portability there is no real alternative to the X100 series. Yes, there are smaller Leica cameras like the CL, but it has an APS-C sensor, just like the Fuji. You could “upgrade” to a Q or Q2, which would maybe solve your consistency problem - but then again, both Q’s are fat beasts compared to the X100 series.

I am using a X100F myself besides some digital and analog Leica M models. Every time I want to go light I reach for the X100F. I can put it in a bigger pocket of a coat and don’t need anything else. Personally I don’t have any problems concerning consistency. Actually I really like the Fuji film simulations. But, of course, this is based on individual taste😉.

The new X100V is better than the F-version in many ways - especially the brand new lens is worth more than a quick look. So my recommendation would be to have a closer look at the V ... or forego portability and go for the much more expensive Q2.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 3:48 PM, wda said:

Look at D-Lux, both current and recent models. All are excellent.

+1.  My D-Lux 7 is the one I pick-up when going walkabout without a specific project in mind. Versatile, goes in a pocket, lightweight, produces excellent results (IMHO, of course!) 

On 12/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, hirohhhh said:

What do you think are the best alternatives to X100F/V, mainly in terms of portability.

So, 1) portability, 2) image quality (considering all Leicas has great IQ), 3) price. Let's say these are the priorities, in this order.

None.

The X100F/V are good cameras. Keep yours and put the money towards another lens for your SL2.

• Like 1