1. 1. Will you buy the Leica SL2-S?

• Yes, I already have a Leica SL / SL2
    • Yes, I have another Leica System
    • Yes, will be my first Leica
    • Interested, but I'm waiting for more tests
    • Interesting camera, but not for me
    • No thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Last week Leica Camera introduced the new Leica SL2-S:

Our question to you:

Are you interested in buying the Leica SL2-S?

Please vote above und discuss below.

Looking forward to your opinion!

• Like 3

Interested for video potential, but would feel cheated by Leica if the SL2 doesnt get similar updates (LUTs, monitoring tools, colour bars), that would make it the shortest lived flagship camera in Line up, ever.

Also there is confusion around the video methods difference for both cameras:

The SL2s "oversamples" its DCI 4K in FF from the full 6k wide resolution, correct? And does it do "near or full pixel-to-pixel reading" in 4K APS-C ?

I have read, to my surprise (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2350638169/hands-on-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-leica-sl2-s?slide=6) that the former so-called

"pixel-mixing" of the SL2 is referred to as "downsampling" in FF. Quid about APS-C which, according to leica, gives better results with SL2? Is it oversampled when used in this mode? (from the 6Kish wide APS-C).

All and all, my opinion is that Leica is on a great trend for video, but somewhat knows their main client-base is not very concerned by video-work, and thus is being a bit lazy on communication-and-clarification on the technical side of what their cameras are actually doing. Note that not a single of their "stories" on the SL2 (McCurry, Ragnar Axellson...etc save maybe for a short image of a SL2 on a gimball at a fashion week backstage) ever mentioned what the camera could do in video... We saw some sexy product shot with PL lenses, but not much else. And most people are still confused and/or spread inacurrate informations on the video specs of Leica Cameras.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an S, SL, and a Q. The SL2-S might be a good solution to upgrading the SL. I also have an Otus with a Canon mount that I use on the SL via a Novoflex adaptor. Does anyone know if this combo will work on the SL2-S?

Edited by Coast to Coast Photo
edit
  • Like 1

I’m keenly interested in (1) low light / high ISO (50,000) performance, and (2) autofocusing and tracking (eye, face, human, animals). If it can replicate the ISO performance of the M10M, which I own, and the Q2M, in color, that’d be a huge plus to me.

Just to add, I’m not interested in video. Once or twice a year I shoot modern dance performances, hence my specific interests above. Today I use the Sony A9II with a fast Zeiss 85mm prime. But ISOs must be a lot lower than 25,000. My M10M performs well at 30,000, 50,000 ISO, but in monochrome only. If this Leica SL2 can replicate such performance, in color, I’m in!

Edited by John A Fleming
Clarification

Feel a bit duped by Leica (not my dealer who is wonderful). My SL2 is leased just 6 months in and they produce a camera which is more suitable for video (which is why I got the SL2 - I already have S2P for stills). Low light capability is why I had to Canon C100 but it was an awkward camera to use no way as good interface and portability as the SL. 

Will have to see if I can talk Kaufman and get him to invest in my business :) We will see. 

Both brilliant cameras but wish I had known about the SL2S at the time as the original SL interface just wasn't there for me - SL2 is a fine camera. Video looks good but then when you go into really low light it struggles and for documentaries that's wha tI do. Portability and low light is what I am after. 

I have to say the 'look' of the file - even in internal H264 is lunch its very cinematic but then I coped with 16m FILM cameras for many years :)

I have the SL but didn’t see the need to upgrade to SL2 however I really like the idea of image stabilization. Fantastic tool for blurring moving subjects while keeping everything else sharp. I love this kind of effect in street work but I couldn’t rationalize the expense for the SL2 which also comes with a large sensor and storage eating files. 

The SL2s has me thinking though. I like the 24 MP size sensor of the SL, it renders superbly with my M lenses. I will look at some images and other results for SL2s and seriously think about it. 

• Like 1

No interest at all in video, I'm also not a high ISO shooter (I almost never venture above 1600). Very happy with the SL2 & its higher MP especially for printing purposes. As for noisier files, Topaz AI does a great job of cleaning these up.  In short, the SL2S doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

I need a fast system to shoot political reportage and children/animals. I always loved the image quality of my Leicas M and Q which I always keep on me alongside my faster cameras while working around Prime Ministers, but I never stepped into the SL system because I knew that I would be disappointed by its speed performance. I will buy it now that there is the SL2-S. If it is what I expect, then I will ditch the other cameras and work with Leica only. I really hope it. It was about time, a long wait!

• Like 1

No interest in video, but like the 24mp and price point. Had no interest in SL2 due to the excessive file sizes and slowdown. However, when Sean Reid found no colored edges, etc. even with un-coded wide angle lenses it looks interesting. If he tests this new model and the same sensor characteristics are found, I may consider it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Last week Leica Camera introduced the new Leica SL2-S:

Our question to you:

Are you interested in buying the Leica SL2-S?

Please vote above und discuss below.

Looking forward to your opinion!

The format and adaptability of legacy lenses got me to buy the sl601. The additional resolution is unneeded  and price is to high.

i am also influenced my the concistent reports of operating problems in Leica cameras.