1. 1. Will you buy the Leica SL2-S?

• Yes, I already have a Leica SL / SL2
    • Yes, I have another Leica System
    • Yes, will be my first Leica
    • Interested, but I'm waiting for more tests
    • Interesting camera, but not for me
    • No thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From reading early reports on this camera SL2-s, it looks like in the "who has stepped ahead technically" race, Leica has finally edged ahead in some ways by releasing a new camera faster than other manufacturers.   See: 

While it is irritating if you just bought the previous camera, if they offer trade-in then it is not a bad a deal... they are keeping you in new equipment by taking your trade-in and they inch you ahead of other brands.  

And I haven't even mentioned that the Leica color science and 3-d look mentioned by Steve are such a place of excellence for those of as much into art as much as into equipment. 

I’m a long time Olympus user. Purchased a Q2 not long ago and am totally enthralled with it. Wonderfully camera, that produces outstanding images. So much so, that I’ve actually started looking at the SL2/SL2s. This is partly  because of the uncertainty around Olympus u4/3rds, but there are a number of other issues holding me back. The weight of the camera and lack of wide angle lenses. 21mm is one of my favourite focal lengths. I think a  Q2 with a SL2/s + 21+75, would be an killer combo. I’m still in the honeymoon stage with the Q2 and will not make any changes soon. At a minimum, there needs to be a good 21mm option.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Last week Leica Camera introduced the new Leica SL2-S:

Our question to you:

Are you interested in buying the Leica SL2-S?

Please vote above und discuss below.

Looking forward to your opinion!

Absolutely not. Still mightily disgruntled with Leica for abandoning the R.

I feel completely ripped off from purchasing the SL2 which does not work to spec. The ever appearing can’t shoot high burst or record 4 k video even when using native SL glass at 3/4 full battery  has never been fixed.  I wouldn’t buy anymore sub par cameras from Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Jim B
  • Like 1

Having enjoyed my SL using dedicated Lenses, I’m disappointed, as I was when Leica brought out an SL2 so soon after the SL, that they now bring out an “ inbetweener “

Not only does the value of my trade in diminish, I don’t see the wisdom in so quickly superseding models every few years.

I'm in the market for a full frame camera that shoots excellent stills and video. I shoot portraits and sports action, and create documentary and corporate video. The offerings from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony all have flaws or downsides, either in their physical design, capabilities, or size/handling. The SL2-S comes extremely close, but the autofocus performance remains to be seen, and it lacks even a tilting screen. The Panasonic S5 fits almost everything except for low burst rate and less effective IBIS. The Panasonic S1 has great burst mode and IBIS  but really heavy, even more so than the SL2-S. I prefer a hybrid camera because it minimizes the gear I need to buy and carry.

The other aspect is that I would like to use my M mount lenses in addition to native mount. At this time, only M, SL, SL, TL and CL cameras will handle M mount lenses with minimum issues. CL and TL don't meet what I need for work, so that rules them out. M lenses perform pretty badly on Canon and Sony mirrorless cameras, and the Nikon Z6 is the only other that seems to do fairly well with M lenses. So if M mount lens compatibility is really important to me, the SL2-S is close to the optimum blend of features and performance for my needs.

1 hour ago, Ron Dorey said:

Having enjoyed my SL using dedicated Lenses, I’m disappointed, as I was when Leica brought out an SL2 so soon after the SL, that they now bring out an “ inbetweener “

Not only does the value of my trade in diminish, I don’t see the wisdom in so quickly superseding models every few years.

The SL2 was brought out about three years after the SL, which is a reasonable product upgrade cycle in today's fast paced world. The SL2-S is built on the SL2 platform, and it has taken them over a year to create. It's much the same as the Panasonic S1H being released within a year after the S1. Remember, Sony brought out the A7r not too long after the A7; Nikon released the Z6 and Z7 at the same time, as did Panasonic with the S1 and S1R. Leica is the only company to have a higher megapixel model stand alone for over a year without a lower megapixel contemporary. My guess is that the SL2 and SL2S will sit in the lineup for at least another three years before a refresh comes.

5 hours ago, Jim B said:

I feel completely ripped off from purchasing the SL2 which does not work to spec. The ever appearing can’t shoot high burst or record 4 k video even when using native SL glass at 3/4 full battery  has never been fixed.  I wouldn’t buy anymore sub par cameras from Leica.

Did you updated your camera to 2.0 and SL lenses, too? Are you using adapters/foreign glass?

2 hours ago, Archiver said:

I'm in the market for a full frame camera that shoots excellent stills and video. I shoot portraits and sports action, and create documentary and corporate video. The offerings from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony all have flaws or downsides, either in their physical design, capabilities, or size/handling. The SL2-S comes extremely close, but the autofocus performance remains to be seen, and it lacks even a tilting screen. The Panasonic S5 fits almost everything except for low burst rate and less effective IBIS. The Panasonic S1 has great burst mode and IBIS  but really heavy, even more so than the SL2-S. I prefer a hybrid camera because it minimizes the gear I need to buy and carry.

The other aspect is that I would like to use my M mount lenses in addition to native mount. At this time, only M, SL, SL, TL and CL cameras will handle M mount lenses with minimum issues. CL and TL don't meet what I need for work, so that rules them out. M lenses perform pretty badly on Canon and Sony mirrorless cameras, and the Nikon Z6 is the only other that seems to do fairly well with M lenses. So if M mount lens compatibility is really important to me, the SL2-S is close to the optimum blend of features and performance for my needs.

M lenses perform better on the SL2-S than on the M cameras. 

• Like 1

I think the DPReview sums up the position pretty well, if you want a hybrid or video camera buy something else for better value/performance and buy and SL2 for only £1k more for stills. AF gets a mention for being worse then the S5 and as they’re silent on a comparison to the SL2, I think we can assume they don’t think there is much of a difference as well. ISO better of course as is always normally the case between 24 & 47mb generally and again they complain that for a hybrid the SL2-S should have a pull out screen at least 

Strikes me that if you already own and SL2 and really really want a hybrid to go with it buy an S5 for £2k with the excellent 20-60 zoom. I think I might just do that and add it to my SL2 setup, Hugh Brownstone also mentions the S5 in his review as the sweet spot in the L mount alliance as a do it all hybrid.

8 minutes ago, SJH said:

I think the DPReview sums up the position pretty well, if you want a hybrid or video camera buy something else for better value/performance and buy and SL2 for only £1k more for stills.

Wow, that's one of those "reviews" that spends all of its time talking about specifications, and almost none talking about photography (or cinematography). It reminds me of automobile review programs in the 1980s that only ever talked about "market position," and never about the car itself. Probably for fear of offending the manufacturers, and missing-out on mid-winter trips to Portugal... Those types of programs are probably still around; we get so many (virtual) channels these days that I haven't watched them since I was a child.

In short, it's a salesman's perspective. I use the non-gender-neutral "salesman" because in my experience it's always men who think that way. "Who can I sell this to, and what can I sell them something else for a few dollars more?"

My counterpoint to this review is "It's a modern camera with up-to-date features. Some are class-leading, some are mid-pack. Pick the one you like. Don't worry about having the best version of every single feature, no camera ever does."

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Wow, that's one of those "reviews" that spends all of its time talking about specifications, and almost none talking about photography (or cinematography). It reminds me of automobile review programs in the 1980s that only ever talked about "market position," and never about the car itself. Probably for fear of offending the manufacturers, and missing-out on mid-winter trips to Portugal... Those types of programs are probably still around; we get so many (virtual) channels these days that I haven't watched them since I was a child.

In short, it's a salesman's perspective. I use the non-gender-neutral "salesman" because in my experience it's always men who think that way. "Who can I sell this to, and what can I sell them something else for a few dollars more?"

My counterpoint to this review is "It's a modern camera with up-to-date features. Some are class-leading, some are mid-pack. Pick the one you like. Don't worry about having the best version of every single feature, no camera ever does."

I take your point but I think DPReview have a pretty good reputation for calling it how it is having spent a bit of time assessing the specs and stills/video aspects in the real world. I think what they’re really saying is ‘good commercial move by Leica for bringing in a cheaper 24mb version that everyone else has but please get the AF sorted etc’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slender said:

Ah, it's IP52

54 for SL2. 😎

25ims certainly also uses 12 bits capture according to sensor specs, and 14 bits for more everyday speeds.

Sorry mate, it's IP54 😂😭 Just checked the bottom plate of my production version of the SL2-S. IP54 😜

• Like 1